Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg question...

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Now that I own a homburg I am wondering:
In most pictures I've seen of homburgs, they don't see, to have side dents. Just the center crease. I've seen some here with dents. My hatter told me that the clasic way to wear one is without the dents. What do you guys think? any advise?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
I've seen almost as many Homburgs with pinches as without, Aureliano. I often point out this famous shot of Banjo Paterson with his pinched Homburg.

banjo-paterson-profile.jpg

I've seen Edward VII, for whom the first Homburg was created, wearing them with and without pinches - so I'm guessing it's been worn both ways since the beginning.

Here's Australian WWI Prime Minister, Billy Hughes (right), in his pinched Homburg.

keith_murdoch_billy_hughes.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
And not to be outdone by an Aussie...

Here's President Woodrow Wilson in a Homburg with pinches:

woodrow.jpg

Not a Homburg here, but I like this picture of Wilson and Co in hats:

Woodrow-Wilson-013.jpg

And is this some kind of modified homburg to suit the period of the film??

r310707_1366630.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
I guess the pics tell us, Aureliano, that homburgs have been worn with and without pinches virtually since they first adorned Prince Eddie's Royal scone.

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
I prefer no pinch, but (as illustrated) it is fine to wear a pinched homburg if you prefer it. The pinch makes the hat a little more casual looking.

billysmom

One Too Many
Pinched Homburg

Aureliano -

Nov-8.jpg

Here's my softest Homburg with a fairly tight front pinch. Definitely a more casual look, but still has that Homburg attitude. ;)

Sue

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Looks very nice on you, Sue. I think, though, I've made my mind for no side dents...well, for now at least. [huh]

babs

A-List Customer
Aureliano said:
Thanks Mr. Tutt!
This picture made me want to get a Homburg. He wore it with no dents.
yhst-83114501141346_2076_195333246.jpg

Me too.. I'm in the hunt for that exact hat.. Color and block.
Notice in this pic how little curve (smiley) there is in the brim.. It's straight across, worn with just a slight tilt. Excellent! What a great timeless hat I think.

I don't know if there's a style name for that type of brim verses the curvy brim that you typically see.. That gives me a picture of being on a well-groomed English-saddled Arab horse.

Corleone's brim above is a more "metropolitan" look I think. Dressier than a fed. More "business" than the bowler. Good every-day formal replacement for the top-hat.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have several homburgs, most without dents. I think the dents are best looking with a shorter brim and that "panache" dip in front and back. I don't have them in my wider brimmed versions, plus I keep the brims flat on those.

m000m000

One of the Regulars
babs said:
Me too.. I'm in the hunt for that exact hat.. Color and block.
Notice in this pic how little curve (smiley) there is in the brim.. It's straight across, worn with just a slight tilt. Excellent! What a great timeless hat I think.
Seems to be made by Gary White (check out "the godfather"), at least if one is to believe the photo accompanying this article.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
You say you have decided on "no dents," which is fine, but don't rule out the possibility if you acquire more homburgs in the future. Have fun with them. I have dents, no dents, and even homburgs that I've completely rebashed. The more looks you have, the more looks you'll get. (hey, I like the sound of that!)

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Valid advise! but I don't think I'll get another homburg... though we all know how that usually goes around here!:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24