Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg vs Fedora

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
While I prefer the fedora, I can appreciate the Homburg. It seems to work well for Johnny Twennies :) :

DVDPlayerScreenSnapz001.jpg

DVDPlayerScreenSnapz002.jpg

DVDPlayerScreenSnapz003.jpg

docholliday55

Familiar Face
I like and wear both hombergs and fedoras as well as some western hats depending on the occassion, weather and/or whatever else I may be wearing or even the mood I am in. If it's hot I may wear a straw or not. I do not let others think for me or impose their will or rules upon me in regard to my dress. As for the shallow few who wish to judge, imply or preconceive or attribute an attitude or certain characteristics to a person merely on the basis of their dress they are too limited for their opinion to matter much to me. I have met gentlemen in rags and scoundrels in suits and visa versa and however you find them there are too few gentlemen in this world and too many scoundrels.
doc

jml90

One of the Regulars
Fortino37 said:
I really love fedoras some are more formal than others, but the Homburgs are different, I like them very much, but as I see, still this kind are much more formal than the rest of the styles, bowlers included.(Top hats excluded)
I use any opportunity to wear them all.

My Stetson Vita felt from the 40's

http://gallery.greatestjournal.com/albums/up6/166/1477166/PICT0781.jpg

My Stetson Whippet

http://gallery.greatestjournal.com/albums/up6/166/1477166/PICT0784.jpg

My Stetson Playboy from the 40's

http://gallery.greatestjournal.com/albums/up6/166/1477166/PICT0786.jpg

Fortino37
My father has told me because of the modern gangster association with homburgs you've got to be able to "back it up now a days". He said "like that guy"

Fedora

Vendor
As for the shallow few who wish to judge, imply or preconceive or attribute an attitude or certain characteristics to a person merely on the basis of their dress they are too limited for their opinion to matter much to me

I agree with you. But, we must understand that this is part and parcel of style of dress. And, like it or not, this has always been the case. We don't have to like it, but at the same time we must recognize it is as old as mankind is. I don't think we can help it, generally speaking. lol Perhaps it arose in the evolutionary process as a survival mechanism. Still works too, if ya think about it. Imagine this scenerio. You are walking down a street, and you meet a guy who is dressed quite well, let's say in a suit, and a very well kept look. Speaking for myself, no red flags would go up. Now, you meet a couple of guys who have their britches hanging off their arse, with their underdrawers showing. They have on these caps turned sideways. My red flag goes up!! I reach into my trousers and put my hand firmly on my pistol.(I can hit a gnat at 10 paces, while being shot at) Now, that may be an exhibition of a limited opinion, but in this case, it could mean the difference between seeing tomorrow's sunrise-or not. So, we are stuck with it, like it or not. And it ain't necessarily a bad thing. ;) Fedora

Fedora

Vendor
completely agree with your post, Fedora. In some cultures, people literally wear their wealth in the form of coins sewn onto their garments.

Ah, time for a story. I worked for a guy many years ago that was the first real millionaire I had ever met. But, when I first met him, I could not tell this to be the case. In fact, I would have never guessed it. He drove a mid priced car, several years old, and while he dressed nicely, he was not wearing Italian suits. In fact, he dressed no nicer than me, a recent college graduate. I never knew the guy was rich until I was invited to his home in Jackson Ms for a working dinner. Wow!!! He drove a Dodge Diplomat, and his wife drove a new Mercedes. She looked rich, he looked common. As the years went by I finally got comfortable enough to ask him why he did not dress the part? His answer? All of his employees were less fortunate than himself, and he did not want to flaunt that, and so he dressed like they dressed, and drove cars they would drive. Plus he said, he did not want to appear rich. Folks want to rob rich folks. lol

His den in his home was full of memorbilia and pics from his career as a pilot in WW2 and the Korean War. He was old when I met him. He was finally sent to the Pentagon and could not take rubbing elbows with the politicians and retired after 30 years of service. He was wealthy before enlisting into the military. I got a big kick out of listeing to his adventures, and really got off on the fact that Rickenbacker taught him and others how to land their fighter planes in a crosswind. I still remember him saying he was taught by Rickenbacker to dip the wing into the crosswind, set that wheel down first, followed by the other one!! What a great guy he was!! Fedora

docholliday55

Familiar Face
And I agree with that which you have written above(great story as well). I do not say cast caution to the winds or forget the sometimes vile nature of man. Given the situation described above I would most likely have the grip of my 44 well in hand when meeting either party and as such give both an equal chance to prove their intentions.
doc

I used to think Fedoras were way cooler then bought my first homburg. I now have 3. I like homburgs better than Fedoras now for occasions like weddings and funerals. Each have it's place I guess.

While others wear Homburgs casually, and look great do it, I still only wear them when I’m at least wearing a blazer, and normally it’s a suit. Fedoras look equally good with suits/business attire, but when you move up to dinner jackets/tuxedos homburgs are the clear winners. A homburg also ups your game a bit when you want to bring something “more.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland