Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg with dents

Rabben

New in Town
I am considering giving my Homburg side dents. What do you guys think? I have no experience working with the crown on hats. How do i make the dents permanent? The hat is made of wool, is there any chance it might shrink or get ruined in any way?

Thanks for any help!:)

DSCN1686.jpg

DSCN1689.jpg

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I have bashed both fur felt and wool, and in my experience a steamed hat is like clay, in that it is easily molded with the hands. The last hat I rebashed was also a wool homburg, and with it I used a spray bottle with room temperature filtered water. Same results, easy to work with, and the new crown remains as I made it. Bashing or rebashing your hats can be a lot of fun, especially since you can always start over.

RPeers

One of the Regulars
Just take it slowly, form it wet put it on your noggin' check it out in a mirror and just keep reshaping till you like the looks of it on you.

There is very little chance of damaging a wool/fur felt hat just don't keep the steam on it to long if you take that approach.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

I am myself partial to front-pinched homburgs, which I think look great. I do not know if you are refering to this, or to "true" side dents, but here you are (hat is a vintage Borsalino):

DSC_0177bis.jpg

DSC_0179.jpg

Regards!

Rabben

New in Town
This is how I think I will keep it for now. I am quite satisfied, the spray-bottle worked nice. ;)

That Borsalino Homburg is very nice, suits you good!

DSCN1703.jpg

All hats are a template for your personalization = bash it like you like it & wear it when you want to. I like the pinch Torpedo has in his but then that suit, shirt, tie, & hat combo doesn't leave much attention for the bash!

Justdog

Practically Family
Nice job

Rabben said:
This is how I think I will keep it for now. I am quite satisfied, the spray-bottle worked nice. ;)

DSCN1703.jpg

Real nice job nice color nice shape and it suits you well:eusa_clap
Excellent advice for bashing, have not gone there yet.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I think a soft felt homburg needs no steam to add dents. I had a vintage homburg once (I sold it when my head got too big) where the dents could be added by pinching the front and removed just as easily, no steam or water had to be used.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Torpedo,
You have one hat-photogenic noggin!
When I win the BIG lottery and start my hat factory, you and Jimmy the Lid are going to be the first two I seek out as my hat catalog models along with Metropd as the vintage fashion line model. Hats off to you guys!

Torpedo

One Too Many
suitedcboy said:
Torpedo,
You have one hat-photogenic noggin!
When I win the BIG lottery and start my hat factory, you and Jimmy the Lid are going to be the first two I seek out as my hat catalog models along with Metropd as the vintage fashion line model. Hats off to you guys!

Hi Cboy,

Thank you for the compliment! Would be glad to contribute to your project... ;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Torp, I agree with Carlisle Blues. That is one very sleek Borso homburg. It's neat to see how a long center dent and long side dents can transform a round profile. You're looking very dapper as always.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Dear Rabben, I'm a latecomer in complimenting you and your approach on the Homburg. Looks good and that's the way with hats: do what you want, if you think it looks good. And it does (i.e. you do, too). QED, I guess.

I myself have one black Maiser Homburg, wide black ribbon; hardly ever wear it because, well, it's black and I don't, in general, wear the clothes adequate for a black Homburg...

I think that hat has great potential, though. I've played around with making the crown circular, à la Pork Pie, and it works, it then sort of looks like a British naval artillery hat of the 18th century (or so I imagine?)...

That Maiser hat (good quality, too) would look great with a leather (snake?) ribbon, with some turquoises, ..... hatpin... black, purple...
I don't know. There's something about Homburgs but I haven't quite "done it" yet...but it all involves "breaking" the unyielding austerity of that type of hat, in black.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My preference for dents on a homburg is for true side dents, or slightly forward dents, but no pinch. Other's opinions may vary. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner