Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Front Ashtrays

Bilko

New in Town
I love this patriotic ww2 period home front ashtray, nice detailing on the figures........Bilko
P1010536-1.jpg
[/

sixties.nut

RE: Homefront Asstray

All your missing now Bilko is the packet of Chesterfield's butts.

I'm told you can still find them over at the Vermont Country Store. :D

Bilko

New in Town
Mahagonny Bill said:
Very cool! Is there a manufacturer's mark on the ashtray, or do you think this is home made? It does look hand carved. Either way it is a great find.

No makers mark, i would have thought that its a one off, i dont think a manufacturer could reproduce the crude but highly detailed carving......Bilko

sixties.nut

In my small rural town the older farmers would gather daily in the summertime on the lawn benches of the County courthouse.

Some came to socialize, some to play checkers and chess, most all of them had excellent whittling skills while others had good woodworking skills in general. Carvings like this, would have been where they came from. It would be very doubtful that our courthouse was unique in this manner.

I would imagine that it took two guy's to make this ashtray. One did the figurine and another did the tray base on a wooden lathe.

It could even have been just one guy who did both operations. If this were the case he would have been well known for his tallents. It would have sold for one or two dollars at the time. They did this for FUN and to pass the time.

Once he had a mental pattern he could whip one out in a weeks time, if one had been called for.

So yes given the handmade factor coupled with varying degrees of wood grains, this still would be considered 'one off' even with duplicates involved.

Most carvings would have been made on the same day for anywhere from ten to fifty cents per item. Highly detailed as this example shows.

Had one of the old geezers taken a shine to you, you could get durable wooden bicycle wheel clackers for a dime.

If one had taken a dislike to you, you would have to be very agile because they would also be deadly accurate with that chewing tobacco juice!

Given the condition of this piece in an unused state, it is very likely that it held some sentimental value for most of its existance prior to falling into your hands Bilko. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats