Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Made Hair Setting Lotion

Heavenly Penny

New in Town
Hi All, I am new at this, so please excuss me if I make any mistakes. I am trying to work out how to make my own setting lotion for at home. All the receipes I have found so far are designed to be made and used straight away. Do any of you have one that I can make and keep in a pump bottle?

Brooksie

One Too Many
Here is my 2 cents - I used to work for a cosmetic manufacturing firm. This particular company made natural products for other companies to private label. My job there was as a project manager for the private label accounts-I used to work very closely with our lab and have helped many companies with the custom formulation process. (this company has ready made base products and they also do custom formulations). Any cosmetic product that has water in it will need some sort of a synthetic or chemical preservative, if you are making a product and not using some sort of preservative you run the risk of it growing mold, bacteria or yeast all very nasty things that you do not want in your hair setting lotion. So this is why your current recipies tell you it is to be made and then used right away. The products with longer shelf lives ie: preservative systems are best left up to the professionals. IMHO.

Brooksie

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Brooksie said:
Here is my 2 cents - I used to work for a cosmetic manufacturing firm. This particular company made natural products for other companies to private label. My job there was as a project manager for the private label accounts-I used to work very closely with our lab and have helped many companies with the custom formulation process. (this company has ready made base products and they also do custom formulations). Any cosmetic product that has water in it will need some sort of a synthetic or chemical preservative, if you are making a product and not using some sort of preservative you run the risk of it growing mold, bacteria or yeast all very nasty things that you do not want in your hair setting lotion. So this is why your current recipies tell you it is to be made and then used right away. The products with longer shelf lives ie: preservative systems are best left up to the professionals. IMHO.

Brooksie

I second this....

Having actually made Flax seed setting lotion, (worked really well by the way).....I made too much...and ended up with a cup full sitting out. I did not intend to use it...I had just left it there to go out since i made too much....

and while you could -maybe- stretch it to the next day or so by sticking it in the fridge....past that...it got -really- gross.....

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Found this site that seems to give you a different recepie for the different kind of hair the person has http://www.a1-natural-beauty.com/Hair_Setting_Lotion.html .
I also found a flax seed recepie but I have no idea how long this will last.
Mix 1/4 cup flax seed oil with 1 cup water. Boil on the stove until thickened, then strain liquid into a jar.
If I was you I would make a single use amount of any home made setting lotion since it's hard to say how long the stuff will keep even if refrigerated.

JennyLou

Practically Family
Heavenly Penny said:
Hi All, I am new at this, so please excuss me if I make any mistakes. I am trying to work out how to make my own setting lotion for at home. All the receipes I have found so far are designed to be made and used straight away. Do any of you have one that I can make and keep in a pump bottle?
Where can I find the recipies? I want to try and make some.

PS

A-List Customer
I have made homemade hair gel, the Flax Seed Gel for my natural hair and after about two days in shower it starts to turn brown. I only make enough for 2 days. Its about 3 oz.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I use optiphen from Garden of Wisdom for stuff that I make at home (it is paraben free). However, their chart lists everclear grain alcohol as a preservative at 15%. Maybe you could substitute vodka for the water as long as the alcohol percentage is around 15%?

I've also used grapefruit seed extract (from the health food store) and it kept for a few days. I'm not sure if this will work for a longer time. GOW suggests this as a secondary preservative.

Brooksie

One Too Many
No - the grapefruit seed extract will not preserve it for longer then a few days or so, the company that I used to work for did extensive testing on different products containing the grapefruit seed extract and none of them passed the microtesting which is the test for the mold, yeast and bacteria.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
If you use distilled water and do not contaminate it with tap water or other lively stuff (like your fingers ;)) it will also last a little bit longer.

Brooksie

One Too Many
However do keep in mind that all of the ingredients that are added to it become the lively stuff - so using distilled water may give only an extra day and it is highly recommended to keep refrigerated.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Another thing to keep in mind is this: if you are making a product with a high content of water and no preservative sooner or later it will grow things, what a lot people assume is if they do not see or smell anything wrong that everything is ok, however that is a serious misconception. Yes, you can see mold and you can smell yeast and once your product gets brown and slimey then we all know it has gone bad. One thing people must know is that bacteria a lot of times you will not see or smell so just because it has not separated or gotten bad does not mean that it is A-OK. I would not recommend keeping it around for anylonger then a day or two.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Miss Neecerie said:
Only the neo-hipster girls use Pabst Lizzie! :eek:

Nah, Pabst is passe, at least around here. Narragansett is now the cheap hipster swill of choice.

For gals who want to give this a try, best results happen when you let the beer sit out overnight, and then put a small amount into a spray bottle. Mist it lightly over your set, and allow to dry. The brewery-rich aroma will dissipate as it dries, after brushing out you should have soft fluffy curls.

It doesn't last as long as a Lottabody set, but it's cheaper.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Nah, Pabst is passe, at least around here. Narragansett is now the cheap hipster swill of choice.

For gals who want to give this a try, best results happen when you let the beer sit out overnight, and then put a small amount into a spray bottle. Mist it lightly over your set, and allow to dry. The brewery-rich aroma will dissipate as it dries, after brushing out you should have soft fluffy curls.

It doesn't last as long as a Lottabody set, but it's cheaper.

Lizzie, should I mist it over my pin curl set after I've set the curls it, or should I use it like Lottabody? I usually apply a squirt of Lottabody to each strand of hair/each pin curl before I curl it. And there is no beer smell at all once it dries?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Laura Chase said:
Lizzie, should I mist it over my pin curl set after I've set the curls it, or should I use it like Lottabody? I usually apply a squirt of Lottabody to each strand of hair/each pin curl before I curl it. And there is no beer smell at all once it dries?

When I tried it, I did a misting of my damp hair before rolling the pincurls, and then another for good measure after the set was done, and then slept on it overnight. I didn't smell anything the next day, and I didn't notice anyone looking at me funny at work, so I don't think there was a smell. You're using so little beer that the smell would have plenty of time to dissipate. This is another reason to use the cheapest, lightest beer you can find -- a strong hoppy beer will have a stronger odor.

If you sleep on it, wear a kerchief or a sleep cap just in case your pillowcases might pick up the smell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails