Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Home Sold! Finally getting to move to Oregon...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, as some of you folks know I've had my house on the market since I lost my job back in July. It's almost impossible to find any work in the Central Coast area and it basically was the kick in the shorts we needed to move forward with our plans to move to Oregon around the Portland area.
So, there was an offer the other day, we countered and they accepted. Fairly clean too. I couldn't believe how easy they were on this. Of course I am selling at a loss but at least it preserves my credit, plus with the loss I should be able to write that off this next tax time. Of course this could fall through and we'll start over with another client, but for now all is good at the starting of this process. But, where we are moving the loss will be made up as now we have no debt of any sort and our credit is stellar.

Now I really have to hunker down, find out the least expensive moving method with the least amount of headache for me and my family. Plus within this 45 day period we'll need to find housing up in Oregon, be it a rental or a purchase. I've had a hard time finding a job up there too, mainly because I am from out of State and they don't want to deal with the issues of relocating someone. They probably don't think I'm all that serious. So the sooner I look like a local with a phone number and address the better my chances will be. There is one firm that is still interested in me up there, but the last time we spoke they didn't have the workload needed for hiring me. I'm hoping that things will change here in the next month and that will turn around. Of course, I will be making al the rounds once I'm up there hoofing it from door to door to get me out there again.

We're all very excited for this next chapter to finally unfold in our lives. I know I'm rather keyed up right now and am a tad dizzy thinking about it all. I know, one step at a time. Breather in, breathe out. The dizzying part of it is the logistics. trying to coordinate it all to come off smoothly to where there is an easy transition with no gaps. So we can just move from one house to the other. Overlaps are ok, gaps, not so much.

So anyway, lets all keep our fingers crossed and the thoughts positive. We shall do this and do it well. Things are finally moving forward and falling into place. I was beginning to doubt that this would ever happen and that we would be stuck here.

Anyway, that all for now, I think I'm finally running out of steam.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thank you very much. The search begins anew and I think I will find what I need not so much what I want. I know the job is waiting for me to move up there. Plus this will be the opportunity for my wife to work as a trainer at a gym that she has been researching. On top of that she wants to go back to school and become a certified nutritionist. With our debts paid off and a smaller mortgage I think we can swing it.
Thank you again for your well wishes TWW, most appreciated.

Cheers!

Dan

Burton

One of the Regulars
Dan, it sounds like you may be able to turn something that started off a bit negative into something very positive. I hope your house sales deal continues on smoothly as I'm sure you are holding your breath at the moment. A new start in a beautiful place, I wish you the very best.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Thank you for the kind words. This is going to be an interesting adventure to say the least. I'm sure it will end up good but in the meantime is is a bit daunting. I still manage to kee a positive outlook on all of this though, something will eventually give and get better. Thus far the sale of the house has been the beginning of something good.
Heck, my wife is super anxious to be able to give her two weeks notice where she works. For her it can't happen fast enough.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well, the inspections are done for the most part. Some minor repairs to be done as expected of a house of this age (25 years). The rest of it I think will be taken care of with some credits just to get this ball rolling. My wife and I are heading up to Portland this weekend until Tuesday to look for a home to rent for starters, meet with a real estate agent & lender. Also I have an interview to go to as well. It is going to be jam packed and too quick. Not enough time to even breathe.
It's all good though. It gets us to our goal of moving up to Oregon and starting fresh. The big thing will be trying to find housing and moving company or something like Pods. One step at a time.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Ok, here is the latest. The sale will be final tomorrow morning at 8am as the docs will be at the Recorders Office then. We have a rental in the school district that we wanted ready for us. The ABF Lines trailer is here and ready to be loaded. Weather permitting I want to get a good start loading that trailer tomorrow. We will have friends and family here on Saturday & Sunday to help out too which will be a huge weight off our shoulders to load the trailer.

We now have a Real Estate agent in place looking for homes for us and getting a viewing list together. We met with him a couple of weeks ago and he got a good idea of what we are looking for in a home. There is one in particular that if it is still on the market by the time we are ready to purchase I think we are going to pounce on it. It has about 98% of what we want in a new home at this point. If we find that 100% dream house then we'll go for that instead.

I managed to sell my Harley Sporster, so I don't have to load that on the trailer to move it. Yea! Plus, the money from the bike will help defer the cost of moving.

The interview I had with the civil engineering firm went very well. They were impressed with me and said so. So, the only hurdle will be if they can make payroll. They were going to look into something creative to make sure to nab me and asked me to contact them once we get settled into our rental. Hopefully it will all come together and I will have at least a part time job in a couple of weeks. Let's keep our collective fingers crossed.
My wife will have an easier time finding work as she is more diversified in her skills than I am.

So, Either Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning we will be starting our drive up to the Pacific Northwest and the beginning of our new journey and adventure. It is finally coming to pass.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well the move is almost done. We are in Oregon now, and are waiting on the moving truck. Should show up Sunday and then we move our belongings into the rental. Then the search for a perminent home starts. We are just happy to be up here now.

Cheers!

Dan

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Well the move is almost done. We are in Oregon now, and are waiting on the moving truck. Should show up Sunday and then we move our belongings into the rental. Then the search for a perminent home starts. We are just happy to be up here now.

Cheers!

Dan
Congratulations, Dan!

I had planned to retire to southern Oregon when I left the Air Force (Medford area) as that's where a buddy of mine settled years ago and I love it there. Unfortunately for that plan, I got married before retiring. As at the time my wife had a good job and a house on 10 acres that used to be her grandparents, and the job market in southern Oregon being almost as bad as southern Ohio only with a much higher cost of living, I wound up here. :eusa_doh:

Several of my close friends from my home town wound up in Oregon. I'm envious of anyone who is able to get there, as flying in to Medford still feels more like coming home than flying into Columbus does.

So enjoy the experience, good luck on the job hunting, and when you get time to relax for a moment hoist a brew from one of the area's craft brewers and think of those of us who wish we could join you!

Cheers,
Tom

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to this neck o' the woods, and don't let the crappy weather get you down. Portland is sublime when the sun pops out. For some awesome Lebanese food, try Abu Karim on Pine St. downtown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass