Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homemade Cosmetics

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I have heard that Jojoba oil is more like your natural skin oil. For me, it makes me break out on my face (worse than normal), but I am prone to that. Almond is slightly less moisturizing, but it is anti-acne (I actually dab it on my acne spots, and it shrinks them, just as fast as a topical acne toner would, but without drying. I noticed this by chance.) I can't use olive oil on my face, it never sinks in.

So, if you have problems with acne, I'd recommend Almond. If you don't, then I think Jojoba would be better if your skin is very very dry. I
haven't noticed a difference with using them on my hair, and I've never used them to shave with.

I don't have problems with acne per se, my skin is just very oily and prone to the occasional breakout of spots- would you say almond oil is still my best bet? And surely whatever oil I use would be good for shaving just because of the nature of it? If Almond oil is quite lightweight then that would suit me as a body moisturiser too, cause I don't really have dry skin.

Maybe I'm asking too much, to have a miracle oil that will tick all the boxes! Perhaps I'll get a tiny bottle of almond oil to try on my face and carry on using the olive to shave- despite its greasiness I don't really mind using it on my body as I tend to shower at night, and I find if I apply it straight after my shower it seems to soak up the water.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't have problems with acne per se, my skin is just very oily and prone to the occasional breakout of spots- would you say almond oil is still my best bet? And surely whatever oil I use would be good for shaving just because of the nature of it? If Almond oil is quite lightweight then that would suit me as a body moisturiser too, cause I don't really have dry skin.

Maybe I'm asking too much, to have a miracle oil that will tick all the boxes! Perhaps I'll get a tiny bottle of almond oil to try on my face and carry on using the olive to shave- despite its greasiness I don't really mind using it on my body as I tend to shower at night, and I find if I apply it straight after my shower it seems to soak up the water.

I think almond oil is pretty lightweight, I have oily skin and sometimes I find the jojoba to be too rich. I'd try a small bottle of almond. I know that some places sell little tiny bottles of it in the beauty sections of the stores, but I have found the cooking almond oil to be cheaper and the same if not better quality. I use it to moisturize after a shower, like you use your olive oil, although I haven't used it to shave.

It is more expensive than olive oil, but a little bit goes a long way.

I have heard that you only want to use oils after you get your skin wet, because then the oil locks in the moisture from the water. If you put it on without having showered (or washed) it locks in the dryness. (And you smell like almonds- a really pleasant and light scent, which pretty much is gone after a few hours.) If I put too much on, I wipe off any excess with my damp towel.

Supposedly Jackie Kennedy used almond oil on her face. I don't know if this is true, but it really has made my skin happy. If you buy the almond oil and don't like it, it works really well for cooking over high heat- things like popcorn (just make sure that you have cooking quality oil).

Can I ask: do you shave with a safety razor? Right now I am using mug soap to shave with, but if oil works better, I might try this. I use a safety razor, and I've found that some things don't work as well with one.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer

I have heard that you only want to use oils after you get your skin wet, because then the oil locks in the moisture from the water. If you put it on without having showered (or washed) it locks in the dryness. (And you smell like almonds- a really pleasant and light scent, which pretty much is gone after a few hours.) If I put too much on, I wipe off any excess with my damp towel ...

Can I ask: do you shave with a safety razor? Right now I am using mug soap to shave with, but if oil works better, I might try this. I use a safety razor, and I've found that some things don't work as well with one.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed reply! With regards to when you should put it on, I had something I was going to post about: I read today that if you find the greasiness too much even on damp skin, you can rub on the oil in the shower, then rinse off and dry yourself as normal. I'm going to try this, cause I do find olive oil a bit greasy on my body, *but* I do notice that when I shave my legs with it and rinse them off, they feel very soft when I've dried myself. So here's hoping I would get that effect all over.

When you talk about a 'safety razor', is that the same as a disposable one, the ones that you often but cheaply in multiple packs that can be completely thrown away, rather than just changing the blades?

If that is the kind of razor you mean, then yes, I did shave with one when I used the olive oil. I am planning to go back to using my 'proper' razor- a really good 5 or 6 blade one - but I will say that I definitely got better results using oil with a disposable than I did using regular shaving gel. Still a few cuts, but the disposables I've been using really are basic, I bought them out of necessity!

You might find you need to give your razor a good rinse more frequently, but I would say if you have oil handy then just try it, what have you got to lose? :)

Juliet

A-List Customer
I have a review on the homemade linseed (flaxseed) setting lotion - I'm posting it here, so it'll all be in one place.
I took about 3 tbs (just to be sure lol ) of linseeds and ground them a bit in a mortar - careful! These suckers sure jump around! lol
Put the seeds in a small pan with 1 large cup of water, brought it to boil and let it simmer for about 20 min - I didn't time it exactly, cooking and feeding cats at the same time :)
Strained the resulting goo, added a splash of ethanol and two drops of geranium essential oil.

Now, for results -
I used it on dry hair, because I dithered too long about and my hair dried lol I'll try it on damp hair next time. The "Goo" is sticky on the hands, but seemingly vanishes on the hair, which stumped me, really. I ran sticky hands through my entire hair first, and then combed with a fine-toothed comb to distribute evenly. But, as I said, the Goo seemed to vanish, so I put a bit more on every section I pinned up. Which also led me to believe it won't hold anyway and to use a really messy setting pattern. Which is why there is no photographic evidence :)

Next morning - results ->
Still no Goo visible on hair, the hair's natural shine is not dulled at all. On to the un-pinning: the sections rolled just great, no crunchy, dry or sticky hair. The curls lasted through the day without problems. I'm not re-setting them this evening, so I'll see how they turn out after a night on their own.

Summary - Very satisfied!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed reply! With regards to when you should put it on, I had something I was going to post about: I read today that if you find the greasiness too much even on damp skin, you can rub on the oil in the shower, then rinse off and dry yourself as normal.
When you talk about a 'safety razor', is that the same as a disposable one, the ones that you often but cheaply in multiple packs that can be completely thrown away, rather than just changing the blades?

You are welcome. :) Thank you for the tip about rinsing off after applying. I've been using the oils for several years now, and this never has (and never would) occur to me on my own. A good tip for when I have to get dressed right away. The other thing I have heard is that if you want a lighter coat, wet your hands first, and that way less oil will stick.

As far as a safety razor, I mean the kind that have the double sided blade that you screw the top off and replace the blade. (Think men's razors). I got one for the holidays two years ago as a gift, and it is wonderful. They have very expensive ones online, but you can find a very nice one for $25-50 USD. A much closer shave than the disposable ones, and a blade lasts three to six months for me- they come in packs of 10 for about $2-3 USD. You do need to go a bit slower when shaving, but since you get a closer shave, it works out. I used to use the disposable ones, but my brand must have changed.

I am going to try using the oil to shave. It sounds divine. Thank you too. :)

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
You are welcome. :) Thank you for the tip about rinsing off after applying ...

As far as a safety razor, I mean the kind that have the double sided blade that you screw the top off and replace the blade. ...

I am going to try using the oil to shave. It sounds divine. Thank you too. :)

That's okay, glad to have helped, and I don't think I've heard of those kinds of razor! I'm looking forward to trying the oil in the shower, then rinsed off. You just have to be a bit careful in the shower, though; the oil does make it more slippy. Regarding shaving, you don't get quite as much glide as you do with shaving gel, but hopefully you could get used to it.

Re: your (I think) comment upthread about crystal deodorants, that's a real shame, and odd, cause that's one thing they seem to have completely eliminated for me! I guess everyone's body chemistry is different.

RainEdayWoman

Familiar Face
Keep in mind that Jojoba oil is not really an oil. It is actually a liquid wax and is typically used to help extend the shelf life of other oils. All the oils I mentioned prior work great at removing makeup and as moisturizers. I typically use Hazelnut as a good duel purpose oil as well as a deep conditioning hair treatment. Sometime mixing half hazel, half olive, and a few drops of Jojoba along with my own blend of essential oils. In addition to those oils you can actually use Crisco as a moisturizer (vintage housewive's secret for keeping their skin soft and supple. Who would have thunk it!) All Criso is, is Soybean oil which is really high in Vitamin E. I would not recommend using it often mainly due to the smell but you can melt it and add a few drops of your own essential oils for fragrance. It is a good alternative if you find yourself in a bind since most ppl have some in their cupboard. It is great for softening the feet!

Avoid using Cocoa butter. It is great for lip balms but terrible for the skin. Cocoa butter does NOT soak into the skin. Cocoa sits on top of the skin and acts as a barrier making it great for lip balms and chapped skin. If you like a butter type moisturizer look for pure Shea or Mango butter. Both are wonderful multi-purpose hard oils.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
If I want to use extra virgin olive oil as a hair and scalp conditioner - in the hope that it will sort out my flaking and itchiness - how should I apply it?

Before washing, on dry, dirty hair, then shampooing out? If I do this do I use conditioner too?

After shampooing?

My hair is not that damaged, just a little bit dry and frizzy from my perm, Mainly I just want to see if it'll help with what is either a dry scalp or dandruff (and I think it's the former).

zombi

A-List Customer
If you are having trouble with dry, flaky scalp, you might try adding vinegar rinses to your hair routine. Rinsing (eta: after shampoo & conditioner, last step) with a dilute solution of apple cider vinegar helps restore the pH of your scalp and has been reported by several people on the Long Hair Community to have helped with their dry scalp problems.

As for applying oil, you can apply it to fingertips and massage it into your scalp with the pads of your fingers. Whenever I oil my scalp/hair, I do it overnight and then wash in the morning. HTH!

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
If you are having trouble with dry, flaky scalp, you might try adding vinegar rinses to your hair routine. Rinsing (eta: after shampoo & conditioner, last step) with a dilute solution of apple cider vinegar helps restore the pH of your scalp and has been reported by several people on the Long Hair Community to have helped with their dry scalp problems.

As for applying oil, you can apply it to fingertips and massage it into your scalp with the pads of your fingers. Whenever I oil my scalp/hair, I do it overnight and then wash in the morning. HTH!

Thank you for your help! Thankfully, my head seems to have been less itchy, and the white flakes I complained about much less noticeable, since I started a) washing my hair more often; b) applying a light conditioner to my roots and scalp; and c) trying hard to keep the setting lotion away from my roots- my hairdresser was convinced that the flakes were product buildup.

Also, sheeplady, if you read this, I have finally bought a teeny bottle of almond oil, I'm going to try it for shaving (realised olive clogs up even my good razor!) and also on dark circles, I read it can be very good for those!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Also, sheeplady, if you read this, I have finally bought a teeny bottle of almond oil, I'm going to try it for shaving (realised olive clogs up even my good razor!) and also on dark circles, I read it can be very good for those!

Great! I have to say, I tried shaving with oil as you suggested. It worked out really, really well. I tried it with a very dull blade and I got a very close shave, which means that I'll probably get a few more weeks out of this blade than I would if I was using soap. My razor doesn't seem to clog any worse either, perhaps it is even slightly better. Thank you for the tip! I have tried shaving with almond and jojoba oil- no difference that I can see.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Great! I have to say, I tried shaving with oil as you suggested. It worked out really, really well. I tried it with a very dull blade and I got a very close shave, which means that I'll probably get a few more weeks out of this blade than I would if I was using soap. My razor doesn't seem to clog any worse either, perhaps it is even slightly better. Thank you for the tip! I have tried shaving with almond and jojoba oil- no difference that I can see.

Awesome, so glad it worked for you! I just hope the almond oil is as good as the olive, but less cloggy to my razor. Also, apparently shaving with oils helps razor blades stay sharp- I seem to remember you telling me you shave with an old-style metal safety razor, so perhaps you will get the benefit of this more than someone using a modern razor, if that makes sense.

zombi

A-List Customer
HOMEMADE COLD CREAM

1/4 teaspoon borax
1/4 cup distilled water
1/2 cup mineral oil, or another oil that is liquid at room temperature (Almond is nice)
1/2 ounce (by weight) grated beeswax (just a little over 2 tbsp)

Dissolve the borax in the water in a (one cup) glass measuring cup. Set aside.

Dump together the oil and beeswax in a larger (2-cup) glass measuring cup.

Heat the oil/beeswax mix in a microwave until the beeswax is melted in and the mixture is clear.

Heat the borax/water mix in a microwave for a minute - almost to boiling.

Slowly pour the borax/water mixture into the oil/beeswax mixture, using a stick blender to mix as you pour. Now beat well with the stick blender until the mix is glossy white and thickened up some.

Pour the (hot) cold cream into an 8-ounce jar with a lid.

Let it cool to room temperature.

Done!

NOTE: If you don't have a stick blender you can beat the cold cream with a whisk or in a regular blender, but the cleanup will be much more difficult. By using glass measuring cups and a stick blender you will be able to simply wipe most of the excess off with paper towels, then wash in hot soapy water. Cleaning plastic measuring cups, and a whisk or (worse yet) a blender of this wax-containing product is difficult and a pain in the neck.

You can scent it by adding essential oils if you want to.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
HOMEMADE COLD CREAM

1/4 teaspoon borax
1/4 cup distilled water
1/2 cup mineral oil, or another oil that is liquid at room temperature (Almond is nice)
1/2 ounce (by weight) grated beeswax (just a little over 2 tbsp)

Dissolve the borax in the water in a (one cup) glass measuring cup. Set aside.

Dump together the oil and beeswax in a larger (2-cup) glass measuring cup.

Heat the oil/beeswax mix in a microwave until the beeswax is melted in and the mixture is clear.

Heat the borax/water mix in a microwave for a minute - almost to boiling.

Slowly pour the borax/water mixture into the oil/beeswax mixture, using a stick blender to mix as you pour. Now beat well with the stick blender until the mix is glossy white and thickened up some.

Pour the (hot) cold cream into an 8-ounce jar with a lid.

Let it cool to room temperature.

Done!

NOTE: If you don't have a stick blender you can beat the cold cream with a whisk or in a regular blender, but the cleanup will be much more difficult. By using glass measuring cups and a stick blender you will be able to simply wipe most of the excess off with paper towels, then wash in hot soapy water. Cleaning plastic measuring cups, and a whisk or (worse yet) a blender of this wax-containing product is difficult and a pain in the neck.

You can scent it by adding essential oils if you want to.

I would recommend the stick blender as well it seemed to really help it mix and hold together better I have tried both ways and stick blender is really the best.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I tried something new today, which I didn't think would work, but it did. After washing up, I used white vinegar as a deodorant. I basically sprayed it on a piece of tissue, and wiped under my arms.

It was 98F degrees today and very high humidity, and it seemed to be extremely effective for about 4-5 hours, with a declining effect after that. Given my lack of tolerance for this kind of heat (and the degree I was sweating), I was impressed.

The smell of vinegar went away after about 10 minutes after applying. Basically scentless after that.

Iho

New in Town
This article reminded me of this thread:
Make your own hair styling products!
I'm not brave enough to try it though lol

Uuuh, sugar hairspray is very tough. Have a friend who tried this and had a problem with wasps after that :D
No really, I don't know if this works. I am very thin-skinned and need natural and most of all hypoallergenic products. It was very difficult to find good cosmetics (now I found them in Real Purity Cosmetics), but I never thought about making my own makeup. I think I'm not only too lazy but also too fearful of some bad side effects :( Had someone who tried for example a self-made skin creme skin problems after that or am I too much industrialized ;) ?

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I tried something new today, which I didn't think would work, but it did. After washing up, I used white vinegar as a deodorant. I basically sprayed it on a piece of tissue, and wiped under my arms.

It was 98F degrees today and very high humidity, and it seemed to be extremely effective for about 4-5 hours, with a declining effect after that. Given my lack of tolerance for this kind of heat (and the degree I was sweating), I was impressed.

The smell of vinegar went away after about 10 minutes after applying. Basically scentless after that.

I tried this & it didn't work for me at all - different things work for different people. It was worth a try though.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
This article reminded me of this thread:
Make your own hair styling products!
I'm not brave enough to try it though lol

I don't use hairspray, but I have made and currently use the flax seed setting lotion. It is a light product and works well for me. I used that basic recipe and added a few drops of bergamot essential oil for a lovely scent.

I've been weaning myself off panty hose and over to stockings but have a problem with chafing. Some of the ladies over in the stocking thread recommend runners anti-chafing products, I wanted to make my own, so I made body butter. It does sink in after about 5 hours, so I put some in a little jar for a mid-day re-application. We haven't had summer here in Seattle, so I don't know how well it will work in high heat.

It does have a strong chocolate smell, if that's a downside. I'm still on the first batch, so I haven't experimented with other types of oil or switching an oil for an essential oil for an alternate smell

1/4 c grated cocoa butter
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon avocado oil
1 tablespoon grated beeswax

Combine and melt all ingredients (I use a pyrex measuring cup in a water bath with the stove on med-low and watch it) then place the mixture in a clean jar.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
I put the body butter to the test and it worked great! As soon as the chafing started about mid-afternoon, I re-applied it and everything was just fine. The recipe I shared will fill a 2 ounce and 4 ounce jar. One for work (gym bag, what have you) and one for home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred