Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hopefully my final Black Tie Question

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
In October, I will be going to see Otello. Now since it is opening night, I am going to try like heck to get a black tie ensemble put together. I am making a few sacrifices (cummerbund instead of a waistcoat, for example) and one of the more unfortunate cutbacks will be the shoes. After the suit, shirt, cummerbund, et al, I will not have enough left over for shoes AND tickets, so I must make do with what I have. My question is, how utterly unforgivable is the wearing of black, leather-soled punch-caps with black tie? I know the obvious answer, but given my budget, the fact that I will be doing this ONLY ONCE (I plan to get a proper pair of shoes ASAP,) and the fact that the broguing is difficult to see in dim light, is it possible to get a pass just this once?:eek:

shindeco

A-List Customer
Good heavens, YES!!! A few perforations on your shoes are nothing to fret over (especially given what people wear to the theatre --at least around here!)

I would not consider a cummerbund a sacrifice, either. They have a long and venerable history and don't deserve the sneers they occasionally arouse (unless, of course they're in an unfortunate shade of, say, pink or green).

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Coming from you, that is a big relief! And I have nothing against cummerbunds, in fact I quite like them. I had planned to get a waistcoat first and then a 'bund, but it is now going to be the other way around. I lucked out and got the bow tie for free (black silk satin,) and with my gift card to Belk the cummerbund will be nearly free.

shindeco said:
Good heavens, YES!!! A few perforations on your shoes are nothing to fret over (especially given what people wear to the theatre --at least around here!)

I would not consider a cummerbund a sacrifice, either. They have a long and venerable history and don't deserve the sneers they occasionally arouse (unless, of course they're in an unfortunate shade of, say, pink or green).

Orsini

Familiar Face
It is not so much the broguing, but the cap.

If patent opera slippers (sigh) are out of the question, the next best thing is patent, plaincap (Copley-type), leather sole, oxfords (sniff!).

If those do not fit in the budget, there are a few options that may suffice that cost less. I would consider GI patent leather low-quarters, patent leather dancing shoes (which for some reason, cost a good bit less than dress shoes), or very, very shiny calf derbies. The trousers will cover the laces, so it will not be readily apparent that they are derbies rather than oxfords. The main points you want to hit are: (1) leather soles, (2) plancap, and (3) very, very shiny (preferably patent.)

The GI low quarters or dancing shoes are so cheap; you could wear them once, and then throw them at the cat that yowls on the back fence at night without feeling too badly about it.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Call me an overly frugal person, but the idea of buying cheap shoes that will be worn once at the most, even if they are ridiculously cheap, does not work for me. The calf derbies may be doable, but I'm not holding my breath.

Orsini said:

If patent opera slippers (sigh) are out of the question, the next best thing is patent, plaincap (Copley-type), leather sole, oxfords (sniff!).

If those do not fit in the budget, there are a few options that may suffice that cost less. I would consider GI patent leather low-quarters, patent leather dancing shoes (which for some reason, cost a good bit less than dress shoes), or very, very shiny calf derbies. The trousers will cover the laces, so it will not be readily apparent that they are derbies rather than oxfords. The main points you want to hit are: (1) leather soles, (2) plancap, and (3) very, very shiny (preferably patent.)

The GI low quarters or dancing shoes are so cheap; you could wear them once, and then throw them at the cat that yowls on the back fence at night without feeling too badly about it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I once got a second hand pair of military patent leather dress shoes that I wore with my tux for about 15 years. They eventually needed resoling. They were only $5, that's right five bucks. You could probably find some on Ebay quite cheaply. And they're very well built. You'll get your money's worth.
Where will you be seeing Otello? It's a fabulous opera. Enjoy.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
I'll keep that in mind. Otello will be at the Blumenthal in Charlotte. It will be my first opera.

dhermann1 said:
I once got a second hand pair of military patent leather dress shoes that I wore with my tux for about 15 years. They eventually needed resoling. They were only $5, that's right five bucks. You could probably find some on Ebay quite cheaply. And they're very well built. You'll get your money's worth.
Where will you be seeing Otello? It's a fabulous opera. Enjoy.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Highlight: Desdemona's prayer scene. Typical operatic absurdity: AFTER Otello has supposedly lethally strangled Desdemona, she keeps singing for about 20 minutes before she finally poops. But full of fabulous Verdi music. Enjoy.

Orsini

Familiar Face
cufflinkmaniac said:
Call me an overly frugal person, but the idea of buying cheap shoes that will be worn once at the most, even if they are ridiculously cheap, does not work for me. The calf derbies may be doable, but I'm not holding my breath.
The dancing shoes would be good for...dancing. And that cat I alluded to will allow you to use them twice (more often, if you retrieve them in the morning).

Feraud

Bartender
Whatever shoes you end up wearing should meet the standard of the rest of your outfit.
Many a great outfit has been trashed by a pair of cheap and/or ratty looking shoes. It wouldn't be so off the mark to suggest your shoes are the foundation of the outfit.

Barrelhouse

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Whatever shoes you end up wearing should meet the standard of the rest of your outfit.
Many a great outfit has been trashed by a pair of cheap and/or ratty looking shoes. It wouldn't be so off the mark to suggest your shoes are the foundation of the outfit.

I have to agree totally with Feraud on this one. I have gone on record as saying that bending some of the traditional rules regarding formal dress is generally ok if the overall effect is preserved but I really think that correct footwear is a must. There is an old adage that states you can tell the truth about a man by looking at his shoes. An inappropriate pair of kicks could totally ruin the otherwise carefully crafted look you have put together.

If worse comes to worse, you could simply rent a pair of perfectly passable formal shoes from any tux store. And there is nothing wrong with wearing a cumberbund with black tie. Just remember the pleats open at the top....crumb catchers!

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I would say (not that I know much!) just make sure they are nicely polished and your existing shoes should be fine. I wear cap toe oxfords with my formal wear... Save your pennies and get good quality shoes that you really want later on.

Also, I love your avatar of Peter the Great and his son! I've not seen that painting in quite some time.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Thanks! I have the painting as my screensaver as well as my avatar. It's one of my favorites.

Chasseur said:
I would say (not that I know much!) just make sure they are nicely polished and your existing shoes should be fine. I wear cap toe oxfords with my formal wear... Save your pennies and get good quality shoes that you really want later on.

Also, I love your avatar of Peter the Great and his son! I've not seen that painting in quite some time.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Orsini said:

You forgot to mention a most important main point! That point is that the aforementioned shoes ought also to be CLOSED LACED! (Not open laced)

Still, quite comprehensive over all. Jolly good and etc.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Well, Otello was cancelled. So, to console myself, I got tickets to La Traviata in Greensboro this November. No dinner jacket, though. Perhaps for La Boheme in January.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy