Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horse hide leather rookie

David Reza

New in Town
Hello everyone! I'm new in the forum and also in the horsehide leather jackets. I just buy my first horsehide leather jacket from a Japanese brand and I would like to know if yow know what are the pros about this kind of leather, how do I should take care or any wisdom that you can share with me or anything that you thing I should know

Thank you for your kind!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Horsehide is much like any other leather in terms of how you care for it. It has somewhat different characteristics that make it unique, but the care and upkeep is much like any other leather. Leather is pretty tough stuff, and so care and upkeep should be fairly minimal. If it gets dirt on it, wipe it down with a damp rag and mild soapy detergent, then wipe dry. If it gets wet in the rain, hang it up and give it a lot of air circulation until it has thoroughly dried, don't subject it to heat to dry it, then treat with a leather conditioner if it seems necessary. Horsehide has a tighter grain than cowhide, and may resist water penetration somewhat better than other leathers. Generally, conditioning probably isn't necessary for at least the first several years you own it, unless you're wearing it constantly and subjecting it to a lot of hard wear or abuse. This is pretty much standard for most if not all leather.

Last edited:

David Reza

New in Town
Horsehide is much like any other leather in terms of how you care for it. It has somewhat different characteristics that make it unique, but the care and upkeep is much like any other leather. Leather is pretty tough stuff, and so care and upkeep should be fairly minimal. If it gets dirt on it, wipe it down with a damp rag and mild soapy detergent, then wipe dry. If it gets wet in the rain, hang it up and give it a lot of air circulation until it has thoroughly dried, don't subject it to heat to dry it, then treat with a leather conditioner if it seems necessary. Horsehide has a tighter grain than cowhide, and may resist water penetration somewhat better than other leathers. Generally, conditioning probably isn't necessary for at least the first several years you own it, unless you're wearing it constantly and subjecting it to a lot of hard wear or abuse. This is pretty much standard for most if not all leather.
Thank you very much!!! Since is the first one that I own, I really don't know many things or if it's better or not than others kind of leathers. I really appreciate your kind!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Thank you very much!!! Since is the first one that I own, I really don't know many things or if it's better or not than others kind of leathers. I really appreciate your kind!

"better" always needs to be understood in context, "in terms of what". Horsehide is very durable, with better resistance to abrasion than cowhide of the same thickness. It tends to have tighter grain, and tends to be stiffer, and thus take longer to break in. Once broken in it is very soft and drapes beautifully. It can last a lifetime, and then some, if properly cared for.

Peacoat

Bartender
Resist the urge to get leather conditioner and apply it to your jacket. Aero Leathers says their jackets normally won't need a dose of conditioner for 20 to 25 years. @Guppy has given some examples where an exception might apply.

You might look back through prior threads to increase your knowledge about the various hides used for the jackets. There is a wealth of information in these pages.

Welcome to the Lounge.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi David Reza, welcome to the Lounge!
I am a big fan of horsehide and I probably own around ten jackets made from this hide. Having said that, I don’t believe that horsehide leather is better than cowhide, or goat for that matter. When buying a leather jacket the most important consideration is to find one that fits you well. Everything else is secondary to that objective and so I would concentrate more on sizing and styles that suit you rather than trying to find the perfect horsehide.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Welcome from me as well. I agree with the posts above, concentrate much more upon fit, pattern, body shape and getting what YOU like as opposed to some certain type of hyde, no matter what it is or where it was tanned.

Also agree, searching threads is highly advantageous, my research prior to Fedora Lounge was in the form of 30-40 jackets, none of which were any type of horse hide. I have a balance now between Steer, Goat & Horse in my "stable" so to speak. And no-where near the number of jackets as many others on this forum.

David Reza

New in Town
Resist the urge to get leather conditioner and apply it to your jacket. Aero Leathers says their jackets normally won't need a dose of conditioner for 20 to 25 years. @Guppy has given some examples where an exception might apply.

You might look back through prior threads to increase your knowledge about the various hides used for the jackets. There is a wealth of information in these pages.

Welcome to the Lounge.
I'll take your advice! Thank so much for your kind!

David Reza

New in Town
Welcome from me as well. I agree with the posts above, concentrate much more upon fit, pattern, body shape and getting what YOU like as opposed to some certain type of hyde, no matter what it is or where it was tanned.

Also agree, searching threads is highly advantageous, my research prior to Fedora Lounge was in the form of 30-40 jackets, none of which were any type of horse hide. I have a balance now between Steer, Goat & Horse in my "stable" so to speak. And no-where near the number of jackets as many others on this forum.
You are so right! In the past it was kind of difficult for me, find a jacket that fits me since I'm kinda short and slim. In fact, I think I'm not fully satisfied with any of my other jackets . I hope this one be the ultimate jacket for me (I will receive it in two weeks more)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn