Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horse vs Steer vs Goat Premium Half Belt

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Oh wait I had Jerky and Kelpie mixed up, Kelpie may be the way, since Unfinished HH won't be an option since it only comes in black. And Vicenza as well.

zebedee

One Too Many
Ohh need to read up on Vicenza.
Vicenza is slightly pebbly, like goat, flexible and lighter than fqhh. It has a drier hand and will take longer to patina, but is great when it does. Dark seal is really nice and blackened brown is great, too - those are the two that I know about. Goat is cheaper, highly abrasion-resistant and a little lighter, but you can't go wrong with either. Another option is jerky horsehide - lighter, wears through to russet. It's tough like the others, but has a softer feel and is easy to wear immediately, like goat. No idea about Kelpie, but I think stocks are low, so hurry.

Dark seal Vicenza:

11E7B63B-C9D8-4F48-80F3-311777DF2FF7.jpeg

Last edited:

Commisar

New in Town
Vicenza is slightly pebbly, like goat, flexible and lighter than fqhh. It has a drier hand and will take longer to patina, but is great when it does. Dark seal is really nice and blackened brown is great, too - those are the two that I know about. Goat is cheaper, highly abrasion-resistant and a little lighter, but you can't go wrong with either. Another option is jerky horsehide - lighter, wears through to russet. It's tough like the others, but has a softer feel and is easy to wear immediately, like goat.

Dark seal Vicenza:

View attachment 533725
So many options.

At this point I'm between the "brown" Pinnacle horsehide and the darkest russet Goatskin Aero can find. Seal Goatskin is such a dark brown it's almost black.

zebedee

One Too Many
So many options.

At this point I'm between the "brown" Pinnacle horsehide and the darkest russet Goatskin Aero can find. Seal Goatskin is such a dark brown it's almost black.
It's a really nice dark brown, though. Russet seems the way to go. It'll look outstanding.

nattevagten

A-List Customer
If you are looking at a black jacket, I would suggest ask Holly for the lighter weight CXFQHH. It is a great combination of CXL's beauty & is very comfortable, drapes extremely well
The lighter-weight CXFQHH indeed almost wears like lambskin, no stiffness whatsoever.

I chose brown CXFQHH for my premier HB as inspired by zebedee’s CXFQHH jacket, but it has not gone into production yet.

Last edited:

zebedee

One Too Many
The lighter-weight CXFQHH indeed almost wears like lambskin, no stiffness whatsoever.

I chose brown CXFQHH for my premier HB as inspired by zebedee’s CXFQHH jacket, but it has not gone into production yet.
I think the brown CXFQHH is their best hide, even though I think that Vicenza and goat both wear more comfortably. I didn't have to wait long at all for the CXFQHH to break in. Going for a walk in the rain sorts it. Aero's mid-weight hides are heavy enough for the majority of my subsequent Aeros to be mid-weight.

In terms of durability, there are infinitesimal differences as far as anything (except maybe sliding down a road) goes. I think that the factor is really drape. Eventually, even the thick hides drape, it's just a question of time. I found that goat, Vicenza and Jerky all had more immediate drape (goat by far), but after a month they're all similar. Goat's the most practical weight for the climates where I am now, but a proper Shanghai or Korean winter is slightly better-handled by horsehide. At that point, though, the layers underneath make most difference.

Last edited:

trainspotter

A-List Customer
I think the brown CXFQHH is their best hide, even though I think that Vicenza and goat both wear more comfortably. I didn't have to wait long at all for the CXFQHH to break in. Going for a walk in the rain sorts it. Aero's mid-weight hides are heavy enough for the majority of my subsequent Aeros to be mid-weight.

In terms of durability, there are infinitesimal differences as far as anything (except maybe sliding down a road) goes. I think that the factor is really drape. Eventually, even the thick hides drape, it's just a question of time. I found that goat, Vicenza and Jerky all had more immediate drape (goat by far), but after a month they're all similar. Goat's the most practical weight for the climates where I am now, but a proper Shanghai or Korean winter is slightly better-handled by horsehide. At that point, though, the layers underneath make most difference.

My favourites in CXL fqhh are black & their signature natural

I just received 2 jackets ordered last month. One in thinner cxl, the other in 'normal' weight. The drape of the thinner cxl is dreamy - similar to lambskin but also more significant. Absolutely no break in required

The normal weight is the same old story though- will need a lot of hard work, patience & persistence to break in :)

TheDonEffect

Practically Family
Yeah, I think the CXL FQHH for a Texas climate, coming from a Californian with a similar situation, may be a bit much, since breaking in a relatively heavy leather jacket when it's shorts season for most of the year is a big ask unless this it's a passion project. Even worse when you factor in Texas humidity.

Commisar

New in Town
Yeah, I think the CXL FQHH for a Texas climate, coming from a Californian with a similar situation, may be a bit much, since breaking in a relatively heavy leather jacket when it's shorts season for most of the year is a big ask unless this it's a passion project. Even worse when you factor in Texas humidity.
Exactly. At this point in between Russet Goatskin and Brown Pinnacle. Once I decide I'll update the thread.

Also..... This will not be my last Aero jacket, at all

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
All, I've decided on brown Pinnacle horsehide for this jacket.

Thanks
Did you get a sample, can you please post a pic so we can see how dark is the brown. Thanks. Did the second shipment of the brown Pinnacle arrive at Aero already? I thought it was delayed...

Commisar

New in Town
Did you get a sample, can you please post a pic so we can see how dark is the brown. Thanks. Did the second shipment of the brown Pinnacle arrive at Aero already? I thought it was delayed...
I did not and afaik it hasn't arrived. I did talk to Horween about the leather and liked what they said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner