Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehide Waterproof?

dortiz

One of the Regulars
I read that HH was waterproof but earlier saw a thread discussing Chrome versus Veg dyed.
I think it stated that Chrome was waterproof and that Veg dying was not. I thought the HH naturally repelled water either way.

There is quite a difference between 'waterPROOF'...and water resistant. Horsehide is claimed to be one of the more naturally water resistant hides due to smaller or tighter pores...if I recall correctly. The way a hide is tanned (stuffed with fat and oils)..and finally finished can add greatly to the resistancy. All this can enhance HH's natural ability to hender penetration through the hide. After riding a motorcycle for many years(in all kinds of weather)...I can assure you that no leather is completely waterproof. Rubber or plastic..yes. Leather..no. Not even HH.
HD

HectorTorta

New in Town
That's so funny - I came to the forums tonight to ask the same question. I have a somewhat new Aero FQHH jacket that I'll be taking out tomorrow for a 2 hour ride where showers are expected.

HoosierDaddy - In your experience, Will my jacket suffer any long lasting damage if it gets soaked in the rain for 90 minutes at 45mph? I'm aware of the issues to make sure it dries naturally on a wide-shouldered hangar.

IXL

One Too Many
Not to hijack your thread Dave, but after you soak that great LW jacket and need that wide-shouldered hanger, Aerostitch makes about the best I've seen. Those things are huge.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That's so funny - I came to the forums tonight to ask the same question. I have a somewhat new Aero FQHH jacket that I'll be taking out tomorrow for a 2 hour ride where showers are expected.

HoosierDaddy - In your experience, Will my jacket suffer any long lasting damage if it gets soaked in the rain for 90 minutes at 45mph? I'm aware of the issues to make sure it dries naturally on a wide-shouldered hangar.

No. I put my jackets in the washing machine with soap to loosen them up. It's done by many folks with no damage.

A leather jacket is meant to be worn in any conditions. That's kind of the point of them.

Nope...don't think so. I've never had a leather jacket damaged by riding in the rain. Let it dry at room temperature. If it is soaked...and seems a little too dried out after completely dry..add a light coat of conditioner to help replace the oils in the HH. I don't hang my jackets if they are wet...or soaked. I lay them out on a towel until they're dry.
Wow..I'd hate to think about riding for 90 min. at 45 mph in the rain without a rain suit. I've done it...but I get the soaked to the bone wet shivers just thinking about it. :eek:
HD

HectorTorta

New in Town
.Wow..I'd hate to think about riding for 90 min. at 45 mph in the rain without a rain suit. I've done it...but I get the soaked to the bone wet shivers just thinking about it. :eek:
HD
Well that's the worst case scenario. :) Forecast calls for scattered showers so hopefully I'll thread the needle. Thanks for the advice.

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
While the chromium-tanned fqhh is pretty impervious to water in my experience, you'll find that the devil's in the details of the jacket's design. My long half belt in fqhh is impenetrable-- except around the zip pocket on the chest. Water gets in through the zipper, despite it being closed. Generally it's not the leather that's the problem, it's the gaps in the leather.

My jerky horse Stockman should theoretically be less water resistant, but because it has no horizontal openings anywhere on it to let rain in, it actually keeps me drier.

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Also, if your new fqhh jacket gets very wet, I'd recommend wearing it until it's at least nearly dry. The creases that will form as it dries will make it conform to your body much better.

Mad w/o power

New in Town
I've had my FQHH Aero Stuart for over a year now, and I live in Seattle, and ride a motorcycle. The idea of the thing getting soaked - as in, water in the leather - is comical. I've walked for over an hour in heavy, heavy rain at least a few times every month of the rainy season (September to July 5th) and if I drag a towel lightly over the thing once, you can't even tell it was wet. I'm sure as the years (decades) go on, the hide will begin to take on more water in the rain, but that is part or the beautification process of FQHH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner