Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How a chance meeting at the supermarket may get me a Spitfire!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes, you heard it right. As I was stumbling under the weight of my shopping out of the local supermarket with all my groceries, I cannot fail to notice the most beautiful pre-war two seater MG sports car (walnut dashboard..etc, you know the one!) parked outside.

Not being shy about coming forward (well with things I like), I waddle over to the gent in the passenger seat and ask if the beaut is his. He replies in an Aussie accent, "no mate, he's just nipped inside for a minute or two!!"

So I wait, and the owner duly comes out (a chap in ..I'd say his late 50s). I tell him how much I admire his car and just splurted it out..."Could I use it for a photoshoot, centred around the 1940-41 Battle of Britain?"

His answer was: "Really? so there would be Irvins..etc involved?..OK!! But...why stop there?"

Puzzlement must have been obvious on my face, I say nothing and he continues: "Could you use a Spitfire, or two or three?"

There's me thinking, "Sure Paddy, you'll wake up in the shower in a moment like the Dallas scene in "Who Shot JR!!" This just isn't happening.

He goes on:"This Aussie guy, Mike, is my boss. Just flown in yesterday from down under. We are both pilots and we build flyable Spitfires. Building 12 in Oz right now and some over here in the UK. Also got a few Willy's Jeeps knocking around if you can use them?

So this is what SANTA CLAUS looks like when it's not Xmas!! He flies Spitfires and offers them to Irishmen!

I discover that this guy lives just two villages away from me (about 5 miles away!!!) and then he asks: "Paddy, where does that accent come from?" and I reply:" It's from a little village in Co.Down, N.Ireland."

Then he says: "NEVER!! me too!!!!" (although his accent wasn't that obvious anymore).

So, we are going to meet up and I'm going to be looking at, if not flying in (I hope!!!) Spitfires. Also, want a crack at that old red MG of his!!!

Truth is often stranger than fiction my friends!!!!!!!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
There will now be a short intermission while I pick my jaw up from the ground. Well done mate - you're a lucky... ummm... fellow!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Kitted up and raring to go!

RAFIrvinandspitmontage.jpg

desertweasel

New in Town
Mike O'Sullivan?

Small word of warning: The 'Spitfires' he may be talking about building are scaled-down, modern homebuilt sport aircraft based on the original Spitfire. Mike legally took over the Supermarine name and calls his product the 'Mk 25/Mk 26' versions. You may find huge variations in colours and marking scale/placement when it comes to taking your pics.

Now, nothing against Mike at all you understand, I've been following his progress keenly and am interested to see that his latest version will be 90% scale so it will hopefully look more realistic than the previous versions.

Here's a link and a pic:

http://www.supermarineaircraft.com/

terryLG.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo