Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How about that vintage western look

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
J. M. Stovall said:
A few more.
[
1944Pioneers.jpg
The Wartime Lineup of the Sons of the Pioneers
Back: Hugh and Karl Farr
Front: Ken Carson, Tim Spencer, Bob Nolan and Shug Fisher
Ken Carson was later featured, along with Denise Lor, on the original Garry Moore show.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
J. M. Stovall said:
A few more.
19490415thAnntour.jpg
And in front of that gorgeous '48 Chrysler Traveler (I think) at the lower right is Roy's replacement in the Sons of the Pioneers, Pat Brady. Brady was Roy's "comical sidekick" in the TV show. The show featured Roy Rogers, "King of the Cowboys", and his horse Trigger, along with Dale Evans "Queen of the West", and her horse Buttermilk. Pat Brady drove a banged up Jeep named Nellybelle. These are the things you remember from childhood TV watching, even after almost 60 years.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Shug Fisher was a character actor for many years(Shorty Kellems on THE BEVERLY HILLBILLYS). He also played on a lot of Gunsmoke shows. He and Ken Curtis(festus) were friends and former band mates with the Sons of the Pioneers. Shug is on TV land right now on Gunsmoke.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I was actually Googleing Bing Crosby and ran across a photo of him performing with them in the 30's. And I remembered this thread. I know they're not dressed like "real" cowboys, but most of the people on this forum don't dress like "real" archeologists either ;) . I worked on a historical museum once and a large part of it covered this towns war years. There were many photos of towns-people camping and horseback riding and sitting around camp fires, and more often than not they were dressed in that Hollywood fashion. So depending of what you are trying to recreate I think either represents common people of the era.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I don't think many real cowboys ever dressed like Christmas trees, the way Roy Rogers did, when they were lassoing steers. I imagine much of the western style of the era was invented by Hollywood, like so much else in American culture. Hey, they invented some pretty snazzy stuff.
As I recall, Bing had a pretty big hit with "Don't Fence Me In", right?

Geesie

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
I don't think many real cowboys ever dressed like Christmas trees, the way Roy Rogers did, when they were lassoing steers. I imagine much of the western style of the era was invented by Hollywood, like so much else in American culture. Hey, they invented some pretty snazzy stuff.

I think the elaborate costumes were first invented for the "Wild West Shows" before Hollywood got ahold of the sequin guns and really went wild.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:

None of those average folks from the 40's were over the top like Roy of course, they were looking similar to the Sons of the Pioneers with plaid westerns, or just Pendletons. Some in jeans and some in western pants.

But this brings up a good point. I just assumed (I know) that this thread was about dressing western in the Golden Era, not how people dressed in the 1800's. Which is it bburtner@moran?

alden405

A-List Customer
Agreed

Its one of my favourite pics,combining 40s western and 40s military

its a mix of Veterinary,QM,Cavalry and horse breeders at Fort Reno in early 42

Regards

Sam

tonyb said:
Now that's a great shot, alden, and quite telling. Unless I'm reading it way wrong, it's real people wearing real "Western" clothes, for the most part. They aren't performers in their stage outfits (which are cool in their own way), and I'd doubt that many of them had reason to get astride a horse the day that picture was taken.

But it's a genuine Western look, and not costume. There's so much to like there.

Care to provide the who what when where?

alden405

A-List Customer
here is some classic 40s western being worn on the then Tibetan,Chinese border

Fort Reno remount men buy horses from Lolo Tribesman for use by the Chinese army

img789.jpg

alden405

A-List Customer
img793.jpg

Remount man,Clarence Corliss recieves a gift of blessed beeds from a Tibetan monk

note the western shape on his campaign hat

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Heres a pictures I think ya'll would like. Its of my Great Grandparents in their party Western outfits at one of the 21 Clubs numerous parties. Unfortunately my grandmother donated the clothing to the Gene Autrey Museum in thew 80's, she regrets it, as she says she would've liked to give it to me. I do have my G-Grandfathers boots though, on of my prized possessions. I have a evil master plan to get the clothing back....
WesternMC21.jpg

Highlander

A-List Customer
Not VINTAGE, as in 1930's to 1950's Western wear. More true to form Victorian wear from the 1880s (with the exception of the Belt and Jeans). Wearing this to the opening of "REQUIEM FOR BILLY THE KID" at the Spenser Theatre in Ruidoso NM a few years ago. Semi Regular wear for me...

McGregorattheSpencer-vi.jpg

I've always wanted to be a Classic Country Singer, and I picture myself in some of the wild western wear of the 1950s, the stuff that was just a step down from Marty McFly's get-up.

And, don't forget your vintage western car! A-la Webb Pierce!

2199078796_e7e745bb59.jpg

76078525.0MtVHpl7.rocks043Medium.jpg

2008-4-9_PierceGunWeb-Large.jpg

2118545137_f2c0ce8127.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112