Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How about that vintage western look

CopperNY

A-List Customer
certain elements, i think, can be done well.

my father wore cowboy boots rather than engineer boots during the 50's, and that was southern tier NY.

Bogart wore a thin tooled ranger belt in The Big Sleep.

i wear a big vintage silver/turquoise buckle with a ringer tshirt and jeans.

but, if you mean boots/jeans/hat/etc. all at once i think you better have a local rodeo in your area to pull it off.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I think girls in my area can get away with a bit more than guys can as far as "all at once." Boots, skirt/jeans and piped shirt could just look cute on a girl but a guy would definitely hear about it.

I think jeans + one more Western element is as far as a guy can go, here, simultaneously. Maaaaybe jeans plus quiet boots plus one more thing that isn't a hat.

Of course I knew a guy who wore a duster, boots, and a top hat with silver conchos and got away with it and made it look good: but he was a) comfortable getting looks. b) big as hell. lol

Cricket

Practically Family
I have a few Western-style shirts with pretty floral prints and smoky snap buttons that I love. I sometimes wear them with dark jeans when the weather is right. I do have a couple of pair of boots too. One pair is honest to goodness work boots that I wear when I am doing work on the land with my husband. The other pair I don't wear that much but my husband calls them "roach killers" because they have a very sharp, witch-like toe point. None of the shoes are true vintage though. As far as the shirts, I got them at an outlet store, and they are very comfortable. Not vintage but inspired.

alden405

A-List Customer
i wear bits ov 30s/40s western

belts,jeans shirts,i dont do the whole suit,like the rest mix it up

today im wearing western shirt with vintage jodphurs

alden405

A-List Customer
Lee1945.jpg

img481.jpg

img482.jpg

1945BigE.jpg

vintage western rocks,hope this inspires

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Personally I love the look of vintage western, of course I live in the honest to goodness West where it isn't unusual to see the whole getup, especially during rodeo season and the stock show... :D

For those who live outside the land of cowboys, I'd probably limit to one or two pieces, and then only if you look like you mean it. Attitude can be everything, and you probably want to avoid looking corny.

But you have to love Rockmount Western Wear... ;)

alden405 said:

Now that's a great shot, alden, and quite telling. Unless I'm reading it way wrong, it's real people wearing real "Western" clothes, for the most part. They aren't performers in their stage outfits (which are cool in their own way), and I'd doubt that many of them had reason to get astride a horse the day that picture was taken.

But it's a genuine Western look, and not costume. There's so much to like there.

Care to provide the who what when where?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I recognize a very young Roy Rogers in several of those pics. Is that the Sons of the Pioneers? I think Roy Rogers (who I IDOLIZED back around 1952 when his show was on TV) was probably the most ornately dressed cowboy who ever lived.
I've been to the Rodeo Bar here in NYC lately, and the only garnet I owned that was suitable was my Stetson Open road, which I formed into a cattleman's bash. I really wished I had a snazzy cowboy short with piping and cuffs, etc.
Many years ago I bought my brother an electric blue western shirt, with pearl white satiin shoulders, and white piping all over it. Quite elegant, I thought (he did too). When he told his wife that his life long ambition had always been to be a galloot, she threatened to divorce him! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner