Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Are You Shopping for Christmas This Year (and What are you Buying?)

Paisley said:
My list of people to shop for was down to my parents this year. My best friend and I no longer shop for each other, my favorite brother and sister are gone, and I don't shop for my coworkers, nieces or nephews. Since my parents and I don't need a thing, we decided to give gifts to charity.

My parents get children's wish lists from a Christmas tree at the grocery store; I'm getting gifts for teens and youth through a charity called Urban Peak. It's the only youth shelter in a city of two million people.

I bought some hoodies at Ross, some wool military spec watch caps at a site called GoCommandoGear, and some deeply discounted wool stocking caps for girls at the Lands' End outlet site.

Unban Peak says they mostly need hats and gloves. Anybody know where I can get good quality warm gloves on the cheap?

Paisley - I was talking to my sister today and mentioned you when Christmas shopping came up in our conversation. I applaud you! :eusa_clap

Given that, in spite of my best efforts, my relationship with my relatives is best described as "we tolerate each other out of mutual necessity"... gift cards all around.

Tacky? Yes, but so are they... :rolleyes: (My beef not being their choices for themselves, but their constant effort to force me to join them in the Slobovian Army Reject look.)

Viola said:
I now need stocking-stuffer sort of little things to open over the holiday - any suggestions? She asked for semi-sweet baking chocolate (...yes) but how can I make that cute?

How about cutting out a cute picture related to baking, or a bird or some other thing you know your sister loves? Cut a fancy edge, add small touch of glitter and glue to face of chocolate bar (Or tie with string or ribbon)

Lots of little things make great stocking stuffers like a new nail polish, a purse-sized file or cute pocket mirror, how about rechargeable batteries? A totally flamboyant pair of inexpensive earrings....things that are practical made pretty, and things that are inexpensive and completely *impractical* do nicely, I find :) Perhaps she needs a new kitchen spoon? Find one in a really glorious color and tie it with a bow!

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
The in-laws are here for a couple weeks (from Ireland), to attend the mister's med school graduation next week. Mum-in-law has apparently wrapped the secret gifts she brought, and stashed them in our attic. I hope to send back a few gift items for my special UK pals, to have her post to them from Eire, now that rates have gone so expensive.
For my daughter, we've secretly bought the ice skating boots she expects to go halvsies with us, because her boots from the past two years are utterly worn out.
I've picked up a vintage Pendleton shirt for my mother in Colorado. She appreciates a bargain, and living in cold country will hopefully appreciate something cozy and classic.
For my diver brother, nothing yet.
For my country, cowboy dad, nothing yet.
For my soon-to-be cardiac medicine PA husband, nothing yet. Except a surprise party next week, and a set of cheap Chinese fountain pens.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Atticus Finch said:
Its gonna be a lean Christmas on Atticus' farm.

This month, three of my neighbors and I fomed an LLC and bought fifty-five acres of old-growth forest and farmland adjoining our properties. We bought it to prevent it from being developed. God, I hate real estate developers. Now, we've got a lot of beautiful land, but we're as poor as church mice.

Early on Christmas morning, my girlfriend and I plan to take the Jeep out to the middle of an old bean field at the back of the property. We'll sit quietly and listen to whatever is singing or chirping or whistling there...and we'll drink a toast to letting some things remain as they are...

...and let that be our Christmas present to each other.

AF
A gift to future generations. Now that's what I call the true Christmas spirit. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Hamilton_Honey said:
Paisley - I was talking to my sister today and mentioned you when Christmas shopping came up in our conversation. I applaud you! :eusa_clap

Thanks! :eek: It finally feels like it's Christmas again instead of just winter.

I like your suggestions for the stocking stuffers, too.

High Pockets

Practically Family
My wife likes to shop for the kids and grandkids, using notes that she's made throughout the year.....avoiding the crowds as much as possible.

For years I was so very impressed with her ability to find the absolute perfect gift for anyone....and wondered how in the world she did it.

Then one summer day a few years ago while at my brother and sister-in-laws house, her sister had just mentioned in passing, something about having always "wanted one of those".
Out of the corner of my eye I caught her quickly jotting down what appeared to a single word on a small piece of paper she'd slipped out of her pocket.
I nodded my head knowingly and she smiled, realizing she'd been busted.

Ever since that day, I've been a little more successful at finding "that perfect gift",......with a lot less shopping.

My wife and I don't spend much money on each other for Christmas,.....there's nothing that either of us ever really want, and certainly nothing we need. At least not anything you can buy in a store, Christmas for us is,......a Holiday.....as in Holy Day.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
Atticus Finch said:
Its gonna be a lean Christmas on Atticus' farm.

This month, three of my neighbors and I fomed an LLC and bought fifty-five acres of old-growth forest and farmland adjoining our properties. We bought it to prevent it from being developed. God, I hate real estate developers. Now, we've got a lot of beautiful land, but we're as poor as church mice.

Early on Christmas morning, my girlfriend and I plan to take the Jeep out to the middle of an old bean field at the back of the property. We'll sit quietly and listen to whatever is singing or chirping or whistling there...and we'll drink a toast to letting some things remain as they are...

...and let that be our Christmas present to each other.

AF

This is brilliant. My parents have been doing something similar. I think the wood buyers have finally stopped pestering them with offers to cut it down. They also found that the state of Ohio, at least, offers tax benefits to maintain undeveloped, forested land, so you may want to check on that.

Anyway, back to the subject, 23SkidooWithYou - I think most guys like things like Leatherman Multi-tools. Besides a fairly large one, my sister gave me a small keychain Leatherman several years ago, and I can't count how many times it's turned out to be useful. Most guys also like things like car care kits, which are easy to find. Dave Barry once recommended tires for the ultimate guy gift. It's Dave Barry, but there is truth there. There also seems to be a part of most men's brains that likes box sets of favorite artists, especially if they like jazz.

For children and teens, I always try to see if there are creative/interest gifts, like supplies for music, art or writing, or something like a planispheres (I once bought someone a "Stellarscope" which kind of looks like a kaleidoscope but maps the stars).

And I'll just keep rambling and list some of my favorite online retailers, if it helps anyone:

http://www.alpacaboutique.com - I got a couple people alpaca scarves from here last year, and they were a big hit.

http://www.tombihn.com - Not vintage-style, but they make very nice, extremely well-built bags and offer ways to customize them. Not cheap, however.

Guitar-focused music stores.
http://www.elderly.com
http://www.maurysmusic.com

Places for books:
http://www.abebooks.com/ (lots of small booksellers)
http://www.powells.com/

If anyone's interested in telescopes or astronomy (They have the Stellarscope):
http://www.telescope.com (Edit/add: I was just looking through their gift guide, and I have to say that giving someone digital body fat calipers may be the worst idea ever.)

Other geeky stuff:
http://www.smithsonianstore.com
http://shop.nationalgeographic.com

Sorry for the length, I'll stop.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I'm really struggling with the whole gift shopping concept this year.

My husband and I are expecting a baby in less than three months, and I'd rather save the money we'd spend on gifts to allow him to be home from work to help me and bond with her for a bit longer after she arrives. I've repeatedly told my (very large) family this, but it doesn't seem to do any good. They're leaning more towards having each couple spend at least $50 on each of the other "families". With the size of my family alone, that's a very large amount of money! And then factoring in my husband's family..... ouch.

It's almost to the point that I'm ready to bow out of attending any holiday celebration.

Is this where I insert my bah humbug? :(

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
High Pockets said:
My wife likes to shop for the kids and grandkids, using notes that she's made throughout the year.....avoiding the crowds as much as possible.

For years I was so very impressed with her ability to find the absolute perfect gift for anyone....and wondered how in the world she did it.

Then one summer day a few years ago while at my brother and sister-in-laws house, her sister had just mentioned in passing, something about having always "wanted one of those".
Out of the corner of my eye I caught her quickly jotting down what appeared to a single word on a small piece of paper she'd slipped out of her pocket.
I nodded my head knowingly and she smiled, realizing she'd been busted.

Heh...I have a book in my purse for this purpose. One of the molskine address books....so that its by name...and then I also note their birthday, other dates of importance, favorite colors, themes, etc....

That way when I see stuff...I can always look through and see who the great bargain suits.... ;)

Babydoll said:

My husband and I are expecting a baby in less than three months, and I'd rather save the money we'd spend on gifts to allow him to be home from work to help me and bond with her for a bit longer after she arrives. I've repeatedly told my (very large) family this, but it doesn't seem to do any good. They're leaning more towards having each couple spend at least $50 on each of the other "families". With the size of my family alone, that's a very large amount of money! And then factoring in my husband's family..... ouch.

It's almost to the point that I'm ready to bow out of attending any holiday celebration.

Congratulations!!!

I believe this is where you stand firm on your convictions - you have your priorities straight, my Dear :)

I suggest considering "acts of kindness" gifts. Some little thing you can do for the other person which costs nothing but means a lot.

For example, write out some "gift certificates" on colored paper for things like "A 30 minute chat on the phone - just the two of us to catch up!" or "I'll do that chore that you hate for one month - just to give you a break" or "Good for one home salon day with me - just for fun" or ....you get the idea. Think of what the other person likes and find some simple way to celebrate that with them. If people are to far for this to be practical, think of a list of things that you appreciate about them and make a "Proclamation" in writing to them - we all like to be appreciated!

I think it is not only acceptable to politely explain that you need to be frugal financially because you are bringing a new life into the world, but it serves as a good example. Whether they are happy about it is not your responsibility. (I suspect there might be some very pleased folks though)

Saying "no" with kindness is going to be a very big part of your life with a kid around - might as well start getting used to it! I hope it won't require bowing out of anything, but if you need to, don't feel badly about it.

My apologies if I got a little too wordy - I hope it all goes well and I wish you a very Happy Christmas!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Babydoll said:

You could send Christmas cards early with a note that in order to live within your means, you aren't buying Christmas gifts for anyone but your baby. Anyone with a smidgen of maturity will understand. As for the rest...well, you can't please everyone.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
pdxvintagette said:
\ Or are you being superman/woman and making your gifts?
My wife and I are making most of our gifts this year. She is very good at knitting and sewing. We are buying some of the kids' presents. I have also been doing some shopping on the FL classifieds.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Sertsa!
Thank you so much for all the ideas and the links. I am going to check them out. Girl gifts, I can totally do. Boys just stump me! lol

Atticus
One of the vets I work for is the moving force behind the Lands at Hillside Farms. This was an old farm once owned by a wealthy Philadelphia family. They used it as a summer place and to putter around with vegetables and various animals as good specimens of both were highly prized hobbies in the day. In our time, a lot of these farms are sold off piecemeal. The Lands at Hillside keeps them together and still runs a working (non industrialized) dairy farm. While the main buildings are original to the property, I seem to recall that a few of the barns and such were actually moved from other estates that had been sold off and preserved at Hillside.

Here's a link should it provide you with any ideas: http://www.thelandsathillsidefarms.org/

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
23SkidooWithYou said:
Sertsa!

Atticus
One of the vets I work for is the moving force behind the Lands at Hillside Farms. This was an old farm once owned by a wealthy Philadelphia family. They used it as a summer place and to putter around with vegetables and various animals as good specimens of both were highly prized hobbies in the day. In our time, a lot of these farms are sold off piecemeal. The Lands at Hillside keeps them together and still runs a working (non industrialized) dairy farm. While the main buildings are original to the property, I seem to recall that a few of the barns and such were actually moved from other estates that had been sold off and preserved at Hillside.

Here's a link should it provide you with any ideas: http://www.thelandsathillsidefarms.org/

Hi 23SkidooWithYou. I know we've just met...but may I just call you "23" for short? :)

Thanks for the link. One of my neighbors is very interested in livestock. He's currently got six or seven horses, and now he's interested in buying some cows. Here in N.C., a cow only needs about an acre of land to live on, and we've got thirty-five or forty acres of cleared land on the plot...so we're thinking about getting three dozen cows of some kind. Before long, every one of those animals will have a name, I'm sure.

We'll record the restrictive covenants tomorrow. No mining. No logging. No subdivisions. No pavement. No feedlots. No high-impact agriculture. Any use must be sustainable by the land without altering the land's current, natural state.

In a few years...when we've got the farm set up...I'm thinking that we could begin having Christmas hayrides. Let's see...we'll need a couple of vintage John Deere tractors...and a couple of old tobacco sleds...and a cozy barn to start from...

AF

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No shopping, no gifts.

The whole family is feeling pretty poor this year, so instead, we plan to get together and have dinner and a movie and call it a day!

It is and should be about spending time with, not money on, the ones you love, so I am relieved!

I probably will have some little things for a few girlfriends... but they will probably be handmade. And I plan to write hubby a love letter. Sometimes poverty is a good way of reassessing what matters. It is for me this year.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
It is and should be about spending time with, not money on, the ones you love, so I am relieved!

Can I give you my sister's phone number so you can call her and remind her (again) of this?? :eusa_clap

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
A good way to go Miss1929!

My sister at thanksgiving said how about given the state of the economy in general and my hubby being out of work in particular, that we all forego the big family Xmas deal and just celebrate each our own family in our own places this year. So that's what we are going to do.

I don't even want to go near the stores or a mall, or look at a catalog that comes in the mail- straight to the recycling bin!

I may bake some xmas cookies but otherwise xmas will be very quiet and low key here. The idea of making something for each other is looking really great to me.

Miss 1929 said:
No shopping, no gifts.

The whole family is feeling pretty poor this year, so instead, we plan to get together and have dinner and a movie and call it a day!

I probably will have some little things for a few girlfriends... but they will probably be handmade. And I plan to write hubby a love letter. Sometimes poverty is a good way of reassessing what matters. It is for me this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner