Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Are You Shopping for Christmas This Year (and What are you Buying?)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
A favorite little kid's Xmas book of our family is the Little House Christmas (excerpted from the larger book), where the girls get the following in their stocking for Xmas; a peppermint candy stick, a shiny new penny, a metal cup and a pair of homemade mittens.

I can knit a scarf and a hat, so my gift(s) will maybe be those- I started a hat for Daniel last Fall and never completed it, so its time to dig it out and work on it.

We take candy canes, smash them up and stir it into vanilla ice cream, add some peppermint flavoring, and voila' Candy Cane Ice Cream! So we'll be making that.

Instead of buying any new tree ornaments I think we'll get creative and make some this year.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I may buy blank cards, some fancy scrapbook papers and stickers and make some xmas cards with handwritten messages for special friends instead of the standard store bought ones.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Wax on girlfriend, in these trying and difficult economic times some waxing of the poetic sounds kinda nice...

Hamilton_Honey said:
I think handmade is the best :) Your post reminded me of when I was girl, and we'd always get a little paper sack after Christmas Eve Service with an orange, one candy cane and some nuts. It was lovely.

I shall not wax more poetic right now...:)

Getting Sentimental...

If you insist, Charming Lady :)

I think Mother Teresa's words are worth bearing in mind - even more so at Christmas. Someone once asked her how she was able to do such great things, and she answered, "None of us can do great things, only small things with great Love."

I remember many things like that from my childhood that my parents have done, and I try to do the same. I think these days we too often focus on doing some "great" thing or getting the "perfect" gift - when really most of us just want more kindness. :)

Here's a fun tradition my Father started when we were very young - he would stretch the budget and the fun at the same with "yarn balls" which are now a tradition for any children in our families.

Take one small thing that you know the person will really like - it's not about expense - and tie a piece of yarn onto it. Now wind the yarn until said object is covered and then tie on some other small thing - keep going with a half dozen or more items....trust me, it takes time to unwind, and is like a mini-treasure hunt! I remember he'd put things like, a fancy piece of candy, a fun-shaped pencil sharpener, a pretty little hair goody and so on. At the center was usually something like a little locket or a special book (often a vintage one!)

I also find value in letting people - especially our children - know we value them for who they are, and many of my favorite "gifts" from family or friends have been a card or book with an inscription about why they love me.

Well - there. you asked for it :)

And now the poem

-----------------------------

I'm Glad

I'm glad trees don't pay taxes,
That robins never run
For office, and that daffodils
Have never sued the sun
For breach of promise, and that grass
Is seldom in a hurry.
I'm glad for everything that shows
No signs of human worry.

- Jane Merchant

-----------------------------------------

Foofoogal

Banned
It is and should be about spending time with, not money on, the ones you love, so I am relieved!

So funny to me how the leanest Christmases all stand out for me.
As number 9 of 11 children I remember fondly these.

1. One year I got a transistor and my sister got a bottle of Evening in Paris. We were in heaven. Along with some ribbon candy and an apple, orange and some nuts in our stocking.
2. No kidding when in West Texas one year we could not afford a tree. My mother bless her heart got the largest tumbleweed and we decorated it with popcorn and paper chains and the best paper angels she knew how to do ever.
3. In my adult years one year in my honeys family all of us were forbidden to buy a gift. We all had to make it. Amazing things came forth.
(sewn Bible covers, sewn nail sacks for men, embroidered hankies for the men, hand towels embellished, cocoa mixes in jars, cookie mixes in jars, Beans in jars, jars with a string of lights and crocheted tops, wooden checker game. We had a blast.
Now we have so many we just give to the children.
Dollar stores are full of neat stuff and resale shops.
Nothing is better than a good meal with love and family.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Just wanted to say...the stories of yarn balls and paper chains on tumbleweeds sounds heavenly...and made me tear up a little.

What about mixed nuts in burlap bags with a plaid bow or some raffia to tie it off...maybe a nutcracker (the vice type, not the soldier)? Orange pomandores made by sticking cloves in it. Mulling spices. Home made bread, OMG would I love to get that!

I wish I knew how to knit, I'd make everyone mittens!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
23SkidooWithYou said:
I wish I knew how to knit, I'd make everyone mittens!

Or socks! That's what I do ;)

Now that I work in a mall, I can get my shopping done a lot more easily and quickly. Thanks goodness EB Games had Modern Warfare 2, or the fiancé would have cried on Christmas morning...

kyda

One of the Regulars
I have done my christmas shopping and it was easy, I think I went to 3 stores.
Oscar well he is getting a ride on tractor and he can move the scoop up and down- my husband wanted to get him a peddle car but they are very expensive we may be able to affprd one for him next year and well Carrissa wanted Barbie dolls and my little ponies so that was easy. I also bought them some pj's but Oscar refused to give up his winter one's so I have had to sneak them out and put his new summer pj's in there place.

Everybody else are getting home made goodies eg: Rum balls, short bread little christmas cakes. I can get nice jars and put ribbon and tags on myself.
I am finding that a great deal of people are returning to "vintage" christmas gifts and doing things that our Grandparents did. We are no means wealthy and we are not poor but I appreciate a homemade gift that some one has put a great deal of time and effort into than a shop bought gift.

Oh my Husband well he has saved up enough money to buy himself a helmet and racing harness for his race car, so that will get wrapped up and put under the tree.

I hope you all have a happy and safe christmas and a wonderful new year.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Babydoll said:
My husband and I are expecting a baby in less than three months, and I'd rather save the money we'd spend on gifts to allow him to be home from work to help me and bond with her for a bit longer after she arrives. I've repeatedly told my (very large) family this, but it doesn't seem to do any good. They're leaning more towards having each couple spend at least $50 on each of the other "families". With the size of my family alone, that's a very large amount of money! And then factoring in my husband's family..... ouch.

Family couldn't come to a joint decision, so we're each doing our own thing this year for presents. I'm making what I'm giving to my family - quilted ornaments for their trees. The cost of supplies was minimal (about $5 per ornament), so the real gift is my time and talent in creating their presents. My husband thinks what I'm making is wonderful.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Reminiscent of a "Little House on the Prairie" -style Christmas... We were going through a bunch of old coins my now deceased FIL had, that my husband recently came upon.

I saved out a silver dollar, a half dollar, a quarter, a dime, a nickel and a penny for each of the two children, and put them into their stockings today!

The rest of the coins (very few worth are more than face value) are being used for groceries and gas money.

The Shirt

Practically Family
It's a lean year

A few ideas of mine this year. I used every coupon available and ended up with 75% off at Micheal's and bought $40 worth of beads, clasps and wire. I made 12 very lovely necklaces and handful of bracelets and a couple of earring sets for the dear ladies in my life. Each was customized to what I've seen their tastes were like and it took very little time to make (though the pondering was hours). For my bedrest friend (5 months to go!), I brought over my kit and we made jewelry all night and watched old movies. I will also make little travel jewelry bags from fabric samples I got from work.

I borrowed my mom's cookbooks from our childhood. I found some inexpensive but cute little hardcover notebooks. I wrote down all our favorite recipes from our past and tucked in a few pictures of us kids throughout. I'll give those to my brother and sisters.

For my mom, I've been keeping 2 copies of a small leather notebook over the past year. When I think of a great childhood memory, I will jot a note down in each of them. One for me and one for her. She also remarried this year so I've been writing all my wishes and hopes for her happy future in there. She doesn't want "stuff" anymore so I thought this would be ok.

I've made scarves and pot-holders for my older relatives and sisters, knitted ipod holders and will attempt fingerless gloves for my younger niece. I got a bit old bag of inexpensive plastic army men and had saved some packs of firecrackers for the nephews.

For the boyfriend, I got together all the ticket stubs, photos etc and made a scrapbook and placed a heartfelt letter inside. I also keep track all year and listen carefully to the little things he says he wants. I hit the sales and get his tools and car things he hasn't picked up for himself. I make him mixed tapes (HA! well cds these days). I will sneak over on my day off and clean his house and leave a batch of cookies for him to find when he gets home from a long day. In the past I have bought a batch at a time of old sinatra albums on ebay for a song. We sat up, lit some candles, played the old records and danced the night away in the living room.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
The Shirt said:
I borrowed my mom's cookbooks from our childhood. I found some inexpensive but cute little hardcover notebooks. I wrote down all our favorite recipes from our past and tucked in a few pictures of us kids throughout. I'll give those to my brother and sisters.

Shirt,

This is a wonderful idea! I'm going to see if I can do something for my cousins with my Gram's Christmas cookie recipes. Maybe I can find a pic of her in the kitchen or just a holiday shot and use it on the cover somehow. I'm not very crafty, but you've really inspired me!

Thanks a bunch!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
early gifts...

I had bought a few Williams-Sonoma Xmas mug sets (their 12 days of Christmas design) in the Spring for a good price on evilBay that were from the 2008 Holiday season. I pulled out two sets today to give to friends, along with hot cocoa mix packets, spiced cider packets and candy canes. Sent them out now, so they could be used and enjoyed before Christmas! I also tucked in a couple of twisted pipe cleaner ornaments and paper snowflakes that the kids had made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran