Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how big is the chest circ. of your jacket???

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
same 'armpits', different styles

good points...i'm not expert in any clothes, but have some knowledge in leather jackets and have noticed that a bi-swing back can compensate for a good 1/2" less armpit to armpit measurement...as for more complex differences in more complex clothing, i'll admit like schultz: "i know nusssing!"

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Amateur Tailor

I'd like to correct my previous posts and amaterish assumptions made regarding fit and sizing. Before I go up this thread to make corrections, I just want to point out that in my own experience purchasing, it was the combination of trying out a particular jacket along with expert input from persons such as Derek Harris that resulted in obtaining the proper fit. There is no replacement for expert input for a particular jacket from someone who understands it when it comes to achieving the right fit and look, especially when one does not have opportunity to try the jacket prior to buying. Furthermore, design differences between models almost guarantees that it will be difficult to apply sizing principles between jackets except by those who have specific knowledge of those models.
Now, regarding the LL Sportsman that I have, it is a size 38. Roughly measured chest circle is 41inches, that is about 3 inches more than the size around the chest cavity. My Super Monza is the same stated size, but the structure is different and therefore the look is different when worn. If you want a good fit without having one to try out, be sure to contact the maker, they know best and have your interest in mind. All this talk by amateurs like myself is merely speculation when it comes to sizing as only a professional tailor of the specific make has the necessary depth of knowledge regarding all the variables that affect your personal fit when choosing without trying.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I've prolly owned 20-or-so leather jackets over the years. Being 6' 4" but relatively slim (well, 38" waist but no real paunch), I've found out the hard way that the shoulder-to-shoulder, shoulder-to-cuff and waist measurements are waaay more important than the 'nominal' chest size. Now, I ALWAYS make sure that I get these measurements before buying.

I take a 42" or 44" in suit jackets, but his has turned out to be a poor rule of thumb when it comes to leathers, especially those bought over t'interweb.

My Aero Highwayman is a 46" and still a little tight over the shoulders and just long enough in the arms, but I've got the side cinches in about 75% so it looks right, whereas my Aero goatskin A-2 is quite large over the shoulders and down the arms, fits lovely at the front but is slightly 'blousy' at the back!

To contrast, a nice Cooper A-2 that I picked up in a 'charity' (thrift) shop was a size 42" but I could still wear it with a thin sweater or denim shirt underneath (it got sold to part-finance the Aero), and my Cooper USN G-1 is a 46" and a little on the larger side but no bigger really than the Aero A-2!

When I read about y'all ordering Aeros with extra length in the arms, I'm dead jealous! As for Derek at Lewis Leathers, he's a good friend of my 'best man', who's only ever had good things to say about him – which is unusual, as JP dislikes almost everyone! When I met Derek, he was a stand-up guy, so I'm not surprised that you enjoyed the experience of dealing with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran