Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How big is the difference between 300+wv/sq in and 500+ panama?

I65Stang

New in Town
Ok, I'll get it out of the way before someone else says it, 200 weaves/ sq in lol.

My question is is there a really big difference between a 300 and 500 when it comes to look and feel? Should I take the $120 splurge to go up to the 500? Do the hatters like the higher weave (I intend to have it sent to Art)? My intention is to wear this hat daily during the summer along with when up in Tahoe (I have dreams of one day wearing it on my mahagony 18' 1959 Trojan runabout but I will be an old man when I finish restoring it lol ). I searched to try and find pictures of Robert's (PB) 300+ and his 500+ but couldn't find two pictures to compare (most posts didnt say which grade they bought and didnt want to pull up really old posts).

Oh yes, my wife found the ladies part of the PB's website, she now wants a full weave pava lol.

Thanks all!

Tim

HungaryTom

One Too Many
In case of doubt go for the higher

Dear Tim,

http://www.rampant-books.com/south_america_travel_tips/t_panama_hats_tips.htm

The difference will not be tremendous (300 wpsi approx =19*16 weaves vs 24*21 weaves/square inch) - lets say 1,3 mm thick strands vs. 1 mm thick straw strands woven into a hat.

I think you will not regret it to go for the higher density and finer weave - the hat will be regularly woven - you get the better hats at Bob's website, he sells the lesser quality hats on the e-bay: it seems he never refuses weavers.

None of these weave-counts make the hat very floppy and too delicate for daily wear.

Art's blocking will give a very nice finish.

Regards

Tom

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Just to throw another wrench into your plans ... :rolleyes:

I am not sure how much you've searched through these boards, but on several we discuss the merits of "less fine" weaves. Basically, the cheaper weaves allow for more ventilation and, thus, a cooler head. It depends on your lifestyle and your area's climate, I suppose ... but some of us sweat a lot and might go for a more open weave.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Of course, that being said, I might go for the nicer one if I had the dinero ... maintaining that I am almost as much help as none at all.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have three panama hats. Two form bob one from panamahatsdirect. Two 500+ and one 150. I get a lot more mileage out of the 150. Because it is cheaper I am not as afraid of giving it hell on a daily basis. It is also stiffer because of the lesser weave so it does not flop around as much. Just my two cents worth.
Johnny

cookie

I'll Lock Up
johnnycanuck said:
I get a lot more mileage out of the 150. Because it is cheaper I am not as afraid of giving it hell on a daily basis. It is also stiffer because of the lesser weave so it does not flop around as much. Just my two cents worth.

Two very apposite and reasoned cents. I have had the same problem and had to have Art reflange my Monte (300+) after one day out and an afternoon shower on Melbourne Cup Day (Happened again this year but did not get caught this time with it on!:) :) :D :D )

I65Stang

New in Town
I love this place! You go to most forums and no matter what the subject is it is always "go with the most expensive one" lol! I am thinking I may just go with the 300. Good point about the ventilation (while it is not humid here it does get really hot) and not feeling as bad about wearing it daily (not that $179 is all that "cheap" ;) ). I sweat like a mad man so ventilation would be good lol . I can always upgrade later :D

Thanks guys! Going to order in February so that there is plenty of time before summer.

Tim

johnnycanuck

I check the weather before I leave the house every day before work. In summer time I used to not wear my panama if it was expected to rain. Now, however, I just keep an umbrella in the car, I take it with me if it is expected to rain that day. Problem solved. A shot of Scotchguard helps with the light showers as well.
Johnny

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Ventilashon tru de Nashon...

I65Stang said:
I love this place! You go to most forums and no matter what the subject is it is always "go with the most expensive one" lol! I am thinking I may just go with the 300. Good point about the ventilation (while it is not humid here it does get really hot) and not feeling as bad about wearing it daily (not that $179 is all that "cheap" ;) ). I sweat like a mad man so ventilation would be good lol . I can always upgrade later :D
Tim

It ain't cheap being a Lounger and the answer to your problems might be one of Panama Bob's 'semi-calado' Panamas with the ventilation fretwork.;) ;)

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I am not sure how much you've searched through these boards, but on several we discuss the merits of "less fine" weaves. Basically, the cheaper weaves allow for more ventilation and, thus, a cooler head. It depends on your lifestyle and your area's climate, I suppose ... but some of us sweat a lot and might go for a more open weave.

I don't exactly agree. All of the hats are tightly woven. The hats with more weave count are woven with smaller palm fronds, not more tightly woven in the sense of pulling on the palm frond any harder.

The open weave calado allows for the breeze to flow through.

AlanC

I got a 300+ weave from Bob this past year, blocked by Art. I'm quite happy with it, and while it's likely (okay, almost certainly ;) ) I'll get a higher wpsi hat later on I'll probably get another 300 before I move up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner