Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did they keep their hair-do's from week to week?

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
GoddessMama said:
5 parts water to one lotsabody.

That's about what I used, as my hair is colored. Mine provided just enough hold without any stickiness, but I didn't notice it dried my hair out. I wonder if you could perhaps add a spray leave-in conditioner or something to your routine?

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Marla said:
For those of you who have tried dry shampoo, is it necessary to brush it through the hair? Can one just sprinkle it on? I'm afraid that if i brush it through my hair it will unravel the curls.

I've used dry shampoo for years, and my experience is that you don't actually have to brush. When I apply it, I make sure I get the powder rubbed onto my hands and then directly onto my scalp, trying not to touch the rest of my hair. I basically massage the powder directly into my scalp, (gently, don't cause tangles!) and that seems to do the trick, without disrupting the curls.

I also use this spray dry shampoo from England..when I lived there I used it all the time...now that I am back in Canada, whenever I visit the UK I stock up, buying like 6 bottles at a time! It is in a hot pink canister, and it comes out like a spray, but drys into a powder. So I spray it directly onto my roots, and then massage it in. I forget the name of it - when I get home tonight I'll check and post it for those UK ladies!

MaryMary

One of the Regulars
Ohhh okay, no I have never tried that one, just the Lee Stafford. I think we may actually have the Batiste brand in Canada - I will have to try it to compare...it was save me having to collect bottles of the other stuff and bringing them back with me to Canada! You know, you get weird looks from ppl when you walk up to the counter at Boots with 10 bottles of dry shampoo in your hand! lol

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Hah! I knew I'd find folks with experience with dry shampoo!

I've just started dabbling in it. I got my hair colored a bright red (brighter than it's natural auburn. It's now edging on cherry red). I'm not a frequent hair washer since it's not naturally very oily, but even my regular washing caused a ton of fading.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm going to see if there are any ways of getting a hold of these stateside. I know Bumble and Bumble makes a colored spray-dry shampoo here, but it's expensive (colored so you don't have to worry if you don't get it all out). I've tried to do the job with baby powder, and that did not work out well.

Heather

Practically Family
I'm so glad I found this thread!! I've been doing roller sets for the past week & loving the results. Last night, I did flat pincurls and slept in my "boudoir cap" (always wondered what those were called lol). It worked!! And I have never been able to get 2nd day hair! Thanks ladies!

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
I asked my mum today how people in all the old forties footage seem to have perfect hair and it seemed to stay all week. She said she remembered her mum and older sister putting lacquer in their hair. It used to make it hard like a rock and make the style last all week. Apparently you can't buy it anymore, but I'm not sure I would want hair that hard :S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner