Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did they keep their hair-do's from week to week?

DaisieWilde

Familiar Face
I've had great results by conditioner only washing, but I don't use any styling products. My scalp seemed to balance out really well, much like my face has with cold cream. My pin curl sets seems to last sans styling, yesterday I battled frizz (probably due to rain). I've gotten away with buying just suave conditioner which saves enormously on cost. I'm not so sure that CO washing can handle removing heavier styling products...

Maybe I'll aim to wash every other day and see how that pans out. I know when I was using the more expensive WEN (just a super expensive conditioner for CO washing) I could go every other day.

Let the experiment begin!

QUESTION: Do you ladies that do wet sets find you fight frizz more often? I've read some articles and watched some tutorials that say wet sets can lead to more frizz...

Smuterella

One Too Many
Wet sets do lead to a little more frizz but they are also the only way my hair will hold a curl so I don't have much option. I find setting in bigger pincurls / on bigger rollers helps.

I'm on day 3 of my great set and it still looks fab, better than yesterday even!

LadyL

New in Town
I am happy to report that after setting my hair since November I am finally at the point where I can get a week out of it. Here is my routine:

Day 0 (hair washing day): Wash hair and let dry ~90%. Spray with diluted Lottabody and set in sponge rollers or pin curls overnight.

Day 1: Brush out, add hairspray. At night, wrap tightly in a silk head scarf that is secured with bobby pins (this is done every night). If the scarf is too loose it will move while you sleep and warp the curls.

Day 2: "Fluff" hair by rubbing fingertips on the scalp under the areas flattened by the tight scarf. At this point a light spray should be all that's needed, maybe a touch up using a velcro roller and hairdryer for any cowlick type spots.

Day 3: Fluff hair again. At this point usually the curls around the face have lost shape so I usually pin it back. At night I will usually put in anywhere from a few to a full head of rollers to reshape the set.

Day 4: Repeat day 2 routine.

Day 5: At this point I will often sprinkle some dry shampoo onto my roots and then brush it through my hair to soak up oil. This also gives the hair more "grit" and allows for really easy victory rolls and styles like that. At this point the roots can look a bit greasy so hair fascinators, hats, headbands, and up dos all help compensate. Usually this night I will put in rollers to help reshape the set again.

Day 6: I usually keep the previous days style, usually victory rolls in front and curled in back.

Day 7: This is the day I go nuts with the hair rat, because my hair has so much grit and product in it that it's easy to manipulate. By now the roots look greasy so it's either more dry shampoo, or something to cover them like a hat. When I wash my hair at the end of this day I will really massage my scalp to dislodge all the buildup, if I don't I can end up with dandruff the next day.

I also work out a few days a week but am not a big sweater thankfully. If I work out more I will sometimes wash it 2x/week. I play soccer on Sundays where I do sweat a lot, but that is also hair wash day, so it works out. I will often wash it in the morning, put it in pigtails to dry all day, and then dampen it with diluted lottabody to set at night.

I always laugh when people say how nice and shiny my hair looks especially if it's day 4 or later! I have shared with a few friends that my secret is just that dirty hair is easier to style! I can never get a victory roll to stay on clean hair but give me day 7 hair and I can pop those suckers in in 30 seconds.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
So much hair help in this thread. I have a reason to try out one of Janice Cox' dry shampoo recipes. Yesterday's velco set turned out pretty well, but I'm off to set it in pin curls for the evening.

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
Texas girl, thanks for that link! The "Refreshing "mist" looks like it would be a very handy product, like Febreze for the hair! I hate how smoke and food smells just cling to the hair and I sometimes have to sacrifice a good set because my hair reeks of smoke or food. I'll have to check my local shops for that line.

zendy

A-List Customer
texasgirl said:
For those of you that use dry shampoos in between washings, you might check out this new product from Tresemme. The review in Allure magazine was good.

The foam shampoo was on sale for $2.50 at my Fred Meyer so I got it about a week ago. It's pretty good. My bangs started to separate by the end of the night, but that was on day 3. If I had used it on day 2 I bet it would have had no problems. Tonight is a wash night, I'll try and remember to update on a daily bang use.

Marla

A-List Customer
For those of you who have tried dry shampoo, is it necessary to brush it through the hair? Can one just sprinkle it on? I'm afraid that if i brush it through my hair it will unravel the curls.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
Marla,

I haven't tried the dry shampoo yet, but the instructions I have: work 1 T on the hair and scalp, put on a head covering, leave it on for 15 minutes then brush it out. Stand over something like a towel, the kitchen sink, go outside, or stand in the tub because it will be messy.

Marla

A-List Customer
Thanks, Tenuki! I'm still a little hesitant to try it, but maybe that'll change once my hair gets oilylol

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I usually go 3 days between washings, whether I flat iron or do a wet set. I used to wash, blow dry, and flat iron my hair daily, and it was drying it up so terribly that I quit cold turkey about a month ago and let it go longer between washes. So far I am really happy with the results - my color is lasting WAY longer, I save money on shampoo/conditioner, and I also save time in the mornings before work. I washed my hair Saturday and flat ironed it, and I'll wash it again tomorrow (Thursday) morning.

If I do a wet set I can usually go 3 days. I just sleep normally on it (no net or pins) then brush it out the next day, and touch up with a curling iron if needed, and use a shower cap in the shower. I don't even use a dry shampoo. After the second day I might dampen it and re-set it in rollers to get a third day out of it. My hair & scalp are so darn dry, though, I could probably go a week or more without greasiness. I also don't use as much product anymore. If I blow dry and flat iron, I use a heat protectant serum and then maybe some hairspray. If I set it, I spray with some detangler/defrizzer, let it air dry about 90%, then set it with Lottabody, and I might use a dab of Brilliantine when styling to fight frizz (my hair frizzes easily and wet sets do exaggerate it).

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
I'm on Day 3 (last Sunday was wet pin curl set). Last night I was too tired and grumpy to set the pin curls, so I tried just a silk scarf and today my hair is less curly. Theoretically, tonight would be a wet set, but I will try a dry shampoo tonight (one of Janice Cox's concoctions) reset the pin curls over night and I'll post my results tomorrow.

My scalp leans toward the dry with a super dry patch that is probably psorisis maybe excema. I don't know, I can't see it. :eusa_doh: An unexpected benefit of the past couple of weeks is a very happy scalp since I've been pin curl setting and shampooing only twice a week. No itching or flaking!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
DaisieWilde said:
I've had great results by conditioner only washing, but I don't use any styling products.
QUESTION: Do you ladies that do wet sets find you fight frizz more often? I've read some articles and watched some tutorials that say wet sets can lead to more frizz...

If I do conditioner only for more than 2 days I get uber oily scalp as if I just went 2 days with out washing, my hair texture and scalp doesnt like it. So I alternate days. I'm one who always has to condition, even if its just a cream rinse, otherwise my hair is a pain to brush and static like crazy at the moment. Darn weather.
With wet setting, it depends on what kind of rollers I am using. Foam, sponge, especially velcro I get frizz hair (cuz my ends get stuck lol). The brush rollers, not so much. Depends on if I am rushing myself or not.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Marla said:
For those of you who have tried dry shampoo, is it necessary to brush it through the hair? Can one just sprinkle it on? I'm afraid that if i brush it through my hair it will unravel the curls.

I havent tried it, but i"ve seen it on the shelves occasionally, and I have always read brush it through. I am guessing so that it covers all the oils in you hair evenly.....

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
Ok I have a question. The LotsaBOdy, dose it dry out your hair? I went 4 days and my hair was like straw, I couldn't even brush it. I gave up and washed it and it took me several conditioning treatments to get it to normal. I'm not liking that. I don't need damaged hair.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Wow. My hair is hard to curl, and I used 1.5 parts water to 1 part Lottabody - your version is nearly only water. I have no inkling then, that was my only idea as to why it would do that to you.

Tenuki

One of the Regulars
The results of the dry shampoo test: very messy but I would do it again. I've been on a 2 wash and wet sets per week, but this method might get me to one wet set per week.

I chose the simplest of Janice Cox' three recipes: 1 tablespoon of corn meal. Leaning over the kitchen sink, I massaged bits of corn meal into my hair. It was coarse corn meal, which makes fantastic corn bread, but I suggest finer corn meal for the dry shampoo. It was kind of tough to spread around and I had to be careful to massage *gently* lest I tear up my scalp.

Tie your scarf tight around your neck...I leaked some corn meal on the couch. I left it on for more like 25 minutes, but no harm in that. If I'd used the recipe with borax, I would probably stick to the 15 minute instructions.

It took a lot of brushing to get all the corn meal out of my hair but it worked well. It was like a facial scrub for my scalp. No hair tangles, which I was a bit concerned about.

I'm trying a new setting on my Flickr account, so if the day's photo doesn't show, I'll try again. After the brushing, I re-set my pin curls overnight.

4563132231_868db5e560.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner