Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Diverse/Insular Are You?

How Diverse/Insular Are You?

• My crowd and I agree on most everything -- we don't have to argue because we know we're right!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There's a few folks who swim against the tide, but my crowd pretty much agrees on most things.

• We're all over the place -- but no matter how we disagree, we're still friends.

• I'm the oddball-- whenever I open my mouth people roll their eyes and hold their breath.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Nooo, I think that is discriminating in the finest sense of the word. I was once told that in life, if you are lucky you can count your friends on one hand. I didn't believe it at the time, (very young and had MILLIONS of friends, why almost everyone I met!) but as my definition of "friend" has changed, so has my opinion.

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Since the mapping of the human genome, and the mathemeticians working out that every living person on earth has a common relative (approx 2000 years ago) this whole issue seems outdated and quaint.

I like people that a) like me, b) have common interests c) have interesting thoughts.

If I am the same gender, age, have the same social and educational level, live in the same geographical area, have the same marital and famial status as my friends, how is that diverse? I would think that I am very much the same as people that share all that with me. And it likely get along quite well.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Miss Crisplock said:
Nooo, I think that is discriminating in the finest sense of the word. I was once told that in life, if you are lucky you can count your friends on one hand. I didn't believe it at the time, (very young and had MILLIONS of friends, why almost everyone I met!) but as my definition of "friend" has changed, so has my opinion.

Yep. I know what ya mean. :) Quality is better than quantity.
But I'm not completely stuck up in that I will actually talk to anyone that wants to,...that is if I don't have to pretend to be interested in the latest flavor-of-the-month TV reality show or some useless sports information. :rolleyes:
No offense TV or sports fans, but I get bored with the mundane and "safe" topics of conversation right away. I'll just change the subject to something like surrealist art, or maybe quantum physics and go from there. Why beat around the bush? lol

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I tend to be pretty selective when it comes to friends. However, I tend to gravitate toward people based more on intellectual honesty than political or religious views. I find that debating contentious issues with people who have well-reasoned beliefs that differ from mine to be very stimulating. Sadly, these people seem to be pretty thin on the ground these days. I would classify myself as quite conservative, both politically and socially. But I have friends who are way over on the other end of the spectrum. I even listen to NPR and--occasionally--Air America. The way I see it, if my beliefs won't stand up to a good challenge, they're really not worth holding.

RedShoesGirl

One of the Regulars
Dixon Cannon said:
I'm a Neo-Jeffersonian, Constitutional Fundamentalist - a Libertarian! I believe in individual self-responsibility and limited government intrusion into the private lives of people. I believe in tax honesty, fully-informed jurys, holding government to the strict confines of our Constitution and citizen activism.

Eyes roll and arguments start everywhere I go! That's ok; at least we're talkin' !!

-dixon cannon

well that makes two of us - and 8 people have others rolling their eyes at them. that pretty much describes me and i WORK for a libertarian newspaper.

lara

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
No politics here - I understand it's proscribed - but I find I don't disagree much politically with my small circle of friends. If we can still talk cultural values, I'm a humanist from waaay back. Can't stand absolutes. But I get along with OK with absolutists as long as we keep it to banter.

I have no influences in the vintage circle except musically. Among my music collector pals, the dressing-up business is a little bit of an uneasy topic. Most of the straight guys (except me) tend to dress High Nerd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany