Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Two thoughts that have helped me countless times through the years;

1. Never be offended by a fool.
2. Never argue with a fool... people might not know the difference!
Only if you've lived it can you use it...{MAJOR EDIT}... I had the best upbringing...a boy could ever have. Not a day goes by that I don't think of the hard lives & sacrifices made by my ancestors that made life so much better for me. Life is going to get tougher for those who follow us. It's time to plan & pay it forward for them.

Other than that don't get me started. Now back to my Happy Hour!

I wasn't expecting that reaction. I really wasn't trying to insult anyone. Just lost in translation. Vade in pace.

I didn't think so, but thus is the nature of forums of the written word. Absent the nuances of facial expressions and body language, a lot can be missed or misinterpreted, especially when two languages come together.

I don't speak Russian, (only about 5-6 words) but my father and his family did. You speak English MUCH better than I "govorit PaRussky." (sp?)

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting that reaction. I really wasn't trying to insult anyone. Just lost in translation. Vade in pace.

It's all good. For my part, I was mostly bemused by your use of the term. I'm sure that these days, with the easy spread of cultural touchstones and language, such things morph with geography and culture. Sort of an international game of cultural "telephone" (if you're familiar with that term).

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

I wasn't thinking about moon.
I was thinking about Jerry Jeff Walker:

http://www.metrolyrics.com/up-against-the-wall-redneck-mother-lyrics-jerry-jeff-walker.html

Black-and-White-Photo.jpg

stop calling me names! P

Everything has religious connotations in Ulster. Thanks for the reading list. Appreciate that.
My younger brother lived in Belfast for a while during the Troubles. The first advice given him by his local buddy before a night of pub hopping...."If anyone asks what religion you are just tell them you are a Jehovah's Witness.....no one will mess with you."

KarlCrow

One Too Many
My younger brother lived in Belfast for a while during the Troubles. The first advice given him by his local buddy before a night of pub hopping...."If anyone asks what religion you are just tell them you are a Jehovah's Witness.....no one will mess with you."
Ahhhhh but are ye a Catholic Jehovah's Witness or a Protestant Jehovah's witness? Is the old joke (-:

I found I read that Ruth Dudley Edwards book back when it appeared and it was a bit meh, I think it was that she described a culture's foundations convincingly whilst making it sound utterly mad somewhat unconvincingly. It's a while since I read it. That said I am notoriously critical of such literature. I'm getting on better with hillbilly elegy.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
My wife said my new-to-me 1950s Bailey U-Rollit straw (buntal) made me look like a redneck (she can say that). :D
The people at my new job are starting to realize I generally wear a different hat every day.... so some great conversations have popped up over lunch, etc. I found a safe place back in "the vault" to stash my hat during the day.

I think part of the miscommunication/misinterpretation thing is... it's just that. I've lived in small island countries where words have different meanings in villages just 10 miles apart. In working with Spanish speaking families for 9 years I learned very quickly to harness the slang. One word may have different meanings in Mexico, Peru, Cuba, Ecuador, Spain, Colombia, Venezuela, etc, etc, etc. In Ecuador, it's fairly common to refer to your mother as Mamacita... not so in Colombia, and if you did you'd probably get slapped in the face.

We are indeed an international forum here and I'd hate to see anyone get run off for the innocent use of a word that we interpret differently.

I'm with @hatsRme , let's get back to hats, hats, and more HATS!

The people at my new job are starting to realize I generally wear a different hat every day.... so some great conversations have popped up over lunch, etc. I found a safe place back in "the vault" to stash my hat during the day.

I think part of the miscommunication/misinterpretation thing is... it's just that. I've lived in small island countries where words have different meanings in villages just 10 miles apart. In working with Spanish speaking families for 9 years I learned very quickly to harness the slang. One word may have different meanings in Mexico, Peru, Cuba, Ecuador, Spain, Colombia, Venezuela, etc, etc, etc. In Ecuador, it's fairly common to refer to your mother as Mamacita... not so in Colombia, and if you did you'd probably get slapped in the face.

We are indeed an international forum here and I'd hate to see anyone get run off for the innocent use of a word that we interpret differently.

I'm with @hatsRme , let's get back to hats, hats, and more HATS!

ONE last word on words and how they can vary in meaning... a favorite story from my life.

This occurred my senior year in high school when we were privileged to have an exchange student from jolly old England. Ours was a lovely gal named Dita,who I became friendly with early in the year. I mean, we both spoke English, so how could there be ANY difficulty, right?

At 17 years of age, imagine my delight when she asked me about a scheduled visit to her home later that evening. Her exact words (which I shall NEVER forget) were, "what time do you think you'll knock me up this evening?!"

I explained, as best I could, for her benefit. But I was disappointed at the time.

NOW try to get back to hats...

ONE last word on words and how they can vary in meaning... a favorite story from my life.

This occurred my senior year in high school when we were privileged to have an exchange student from jolly old England. Ours was a lovely gal named Dita,who I became friendly with early in the year. I mean, we both spoke English, so how could there be ANY difficulty, right?

At 17 years of age, imagine my delight when she asked me about a scheduled visit to her home later that evening. Her exact words (which I shall NEVER forget) were, "what time do you think you'll knock me up this evening?!"

I explained, as best I could, for her benefit. But I was disappointed at the time.

NOW try to get back to hats...
Lucky YOU didn't get a slap in the face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21