Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

The way I see it:
Nowadays a man needs enough self esteem and confidence ("balls") to wear a nice dress hat in public.
The wider the brim, the taller the crown = the bigger your balls!
I agree but like Merle, I wear my own kind of hat and don't give a dam what anyone thinks.
Given a choice between "confidence" and "don't care what anyone thinks" as motivation for wearing hats, I'm definitely in the latter category. It's nice to receive complimentary remarks about a hat or other clothing items, but the only opinion I give any real consideration to is that of my wife. If she voices a negative reaction to anything I'm wearing (which has only happened once or twice during the last 37+ years) I pay attention; otherwise I wear what I like. Besides, not caring gives me the freedom to occasionally wear something that will annoy all of the right people. ;)

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Given a choice between "confidence" and "don't care what anyone thinks" as motivation for wearing hats, I'm definitely in the latter category. It's nice to receive complimentary remarks about a hat or other clothing items, but the only opinion I give any real consideration to is that of my wife. If she voices a negative reaction to anything I'm wearing (which has only happened once or twice during the last 37+ years) I pay attention; otherwise I wear what I like. Besides, not caring gives me the freedom to occasionally wear something that will annoy all of the right people. ;)
:):)

Steinbockhase

Practically Family
Given a choice between "confidence" and "don't care what anyone thinks" as motivation for wearing hats, I'm definitely in the latter category.

Somebody very self-confident usually doesn't give a damn what others think of his look.
Where as someone who doesn't care about what others think of his appearance, shows proof of self-confidence.
So where is the difference?
Both are just the two sides of the same coin :)

Last edited:

Winston Carter

Practically Family
It's true women do swoon over a sharp dressed man.:):)

zzimg_6840fixed550-copy.jpg

Along the lines of this hat wearing thread there is a "thing" named the F/U look. I read it first in an article about an elderly man on a cruise wearing yellow pants, orange plaid shirt and a lime green sweater. He called it his F/U look as in, "I am old enough and rich enough so that I can wear whatever the hell I want, F/U!" A month back on a beautiful summer's eve my wife and I attended a choral concert and I wore my salmon pink pants with little blue dolphins embroidered upon topped with a navy blazer.....I call it my Princeton look (purchased from our very own TweedyDon. Emerging from my dressing room my life gave me a second look and remarked....."I get it, this is your F/U look." My hat wearing is not entirely in that domain but it does fit it with this stage of my life where I really do not care.

Along the lines of this hat wearing thread there is a "thing" named the F/U look. I read it first in an article about an elderly man on a cruise wearing yellow pants, orange plaid shirt and a lime green sweater. He called it his F/U look as in, "I am old enough and rich enough so that I can wear whatever the hell I want, F/U!" A month back on a beautiful summer's eve my wife and I attended a choral concert and I wore my salmon pink pants with little blue dolphins embroidered upon topped with a navy blazer.....I call it my Princeton look (purchased from our very own TweedyDon. Emerging from my dressing room my life gave me a second look and remarked....."I get it, this is your F/U look." My hat wearing is not entirely in that domain but it does fit it with this stage of my life where I really do not care.

The east coast preppy couture have their “go-to-hell pants” that tend to be bright and loud and some have embroidered motifs. It’s not a look for me, and I don’t like elitism in any form, but I do like people who are comfortable in their own skin and aren’t after the approval of others. As an example, I think socks with sandals looks bad, but I also admire the person who wears them because they’re comfortable and doesn’t care what anyone else thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FU, nah. Too aggressive for me. I fall into the DGAF category.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran