Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

The east coast preppy couture have their “go-to-hell pants” that tend to be bright and loud and some have embroidered motifs. It’s not a look for me, and I don’t like elitism in any form, but I do like people who are comfortable in their own skin and aren’t after the approval of others. As an example, I think socks with sandals looks bad, but I also admire the person who wears them because they’re comfortable and doesn’t care what anyone else thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My wife went on to say...."Seriously? Are you sure you want to do this?" I came close to buying a pair of plaid slacks from TweedyDon but I counted to 10 and came to my senses!

My wife went on to say...."Seriously? Are you sure you want to do this?" I came close to buying a pair of plaid slacks from TweedyDon but I counted to 10 and came to my senses!

8223fbc6542382d2f4977114b329292b.jpeg

"Herb, I want you to go out to the parking garage, pick out some seat covers that strike your fancy, and wear them home."
- Jennifer Marlowe

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

8223fbc6542382d2f4977114b329292b.jpeg

"Herb, I want you to go out to the parking garage, pick out some seat covers that strike your fancy, and wear them home."
- Jennifer Marlowe
I attended a filming of an episode of WKRP in Cincinnati, and during the "questions from the audience" segment of the pre-show warm up someone inevitably asked about Frank Bonner's (Herb Tarlek) wardrobe. Hugh Wilson, the "warm up talent", said they found a surprising number of off-the-rack suits in Bonner's size (or close enough) in thrift stores and at yard/garage sales, and that most of them were so completely tacky that they could frequently mix and match the jackets and pants as they saw fit so they could further the notion that Tarlek had an apparently limitless supply of them.

He added the fact that they did occasionally have to custom make a suit for Bonner if/when it became necessary. In relation to the line you quoted, in another episode Venus Flytrap (Tim Reid) commented on one of Tarlek's suits by saying, "Somewhere out there there's a Volkswagen with no seats." One of Bonner's/Tarlek's suits was actually made from the seat covers of an old Beetle. :D

Telemaster

One of the Regulars
I actually just had a nice interaction over here in the middle of nowhere in rural Bavaria... largely invited (I think) by the Stetson OR I was wearing. I was going to the local tiny grocery store with my two girls in our even tinier little town on the edge of the Bavarian Forest, when I guy sitting on the bench out front asked “hey, where you from”. I was surprised at first to hear English being spoken to me in that setting.. and said “wait.... what?” He asked, “You from Texas?” His eyes darting up toward my hat and back again. I said, “oh... right my hat. Not Texas but New York actually”. He laughed (not at but with me) and we then had a really great conversation. Turns out he’s from Arizona and travels all over working with horses. His German friend came out of the store after a bit and it turns out he was a guy I saw on the bus a lot wearing a cool BROOKLYN cap that I always wanted to ask about (I am from Brooklyn) but was too shy to. Real crazy serendipity, and we all had awestruck goofy looks on our faces as it was occurring to us how strange and improbable this meeting was. My girls got to show off their English a bit too, which they love to do. All in all a wonderful chance Saturday morning experience that my hat made possible.

I went to the grocery the othe day to get something my wife forgot she needed.....was waited on by a black girl who immediately commented on my hat! The black women from young to old seem to really respond well to hats.:):):):)

Now with the "artsy" crowd they like them too, but always contrast the differance to my hat being a "real hat" (as opposed to the little trilibies they usually see I suppose, they never really know the hat names or styles). One young gal got especially conversational and enthusiastic , starting with the hat and discussing the rest of my outfit.....maybe Stetson was right!:eek::rolleyes:;)
M:)

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Visiting Germany and the Cuckoo clock capital Treberg in the Black Forest, Mrs T wandered into the so called 'House of a thousand Clocks' . After looking at several wonderful clocks I wandered over to where some of the usual souvenirs were on show. I looked and looked for something when I noticed two members of staff who were looking and obviously talking about me.
I turned to them and strolled over, asking for something typically German, a Gamsbart, which is a brush that hunters wear in their hats. Both showed surprise that I was English and explained that the Gamsbart was really more of a Bavarian custom and often worn at Octoberfest, more often worn by Americans and English than the locals. The shop did not stock them.
The next part caught me though as one said in excellent English, "We thought you were German due to the hat, you will not see many men wearing that kind of fur hat these days". His friend added "My Father wore a very similar hat many years ago, now hardly anyone wears a decent hat these days"
We then chatted a bit about German traditions and clothing then we said our goodbye's as Mrs could not decide about a clock but maybe I was a little influential as I told her she would have to wind it and dust it every day haha.
A Peschel with a velour finish.

PA040043_zpschveimnk.jpg

26696288_10215014254850385_603084268_n-1_zpsooeadsop.jpg

Last edited:
Visiting Germany and the Cuckoo clock capital Treberg in the Black Forest, Mrs T wandered into the so called 'House of a thousand Clocks' . After looking as several wonderful clocks I wandered over to where some of the usual souvenirs were on show. I looked and looked for something when I noticed two members of staff who were looking and obviously talking about me.
I turned to them and strolled over, asking for something typically German, a Gamsbart, which is a brush that hunters wear in their hats. Both showed surprise that I was English and explained that the Gamsbart was really more of a Bavarian custom and often worn at Octoberfest, more often worn by Americans and English than the locals. The shop did not stock them.
The next part caught me though as one said in excellent English, "We thought you were German due to the hat, you will not see many men wearing that kind of fur hat these days". His friend added "My Father wore a very similar hat many years ago, now hardly anyone wears a decent hat these days"
We then chatted a bit about German traditions and clothing then we said our goodbye's as Mrs could not decide about a clock but maybe I wa a little influential as I told her she would have to wind it and dust it every day haha.
A Peschel with a velour finish.

PA040043_zpschveimnk.jpg

26696288_10215014254850385_603084268_n-1_zpsooeadsop.jpg

That is a gorgeous hat! The velour looks buttery soft! Thanks for posting this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner