Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Good luck and godspeed! I had a '90 Civic that I took to over 300k, but once the electrical issues started the writing was on the wall. My wife actually cried when they towed it away.
It is a manual transmission....hard to find in a new car these days. I am inclined to run it til it drops. I am only putting on about 6K a year these days so this might be the last car I ever own. My friend got 400K out of a Corolla....that is amazing to me. We had a 1985 Mustang as a second car....sold it after 18 years with only 85,000km on it but it got impossible to find parts for it.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
As I've said before, most men would like to wear a hat but are afraid they will be laughed at. I can't say how many times I've been told that my hat really looked nice but they couldn't pull it off, of course I assure them that they could wear a hat and enjoy it .
Quite so, a compliment that I often hear is, distinguished. Someone that I once worked with loved my hats, he commented about how he liked Indiana Jones' hat, but thought that it looked good on Harrison Ford but would make him look stupid. He was also someone who seemed self conscious. "You should go to The Goodwood Revival," I suggested, he looked it up and thought it wonderful, but still didn't go. In his words, he didn't have the balls.

Is it the herd instinct? A cap worn back to front gets no more than a glance, but anything else, if the herd are not wearing it, then it's not cool.

...Which is why I drive a Chevy. That was built in 2008.
Ha, my car is a whole 2 years newer than yours.....200,000km and still running fine (Hyundai Sante Fe)
Our current mode of transportation is my wife's 2004 Chevy Trailblazer P.O.S., so 4 years older than Fruno's. My 2007 Honda Ridgeline got t-boned in December by a local crack whore who didn't have the decency to stay on the couch at home and watch TV after she got high, choosing instead to go out joyriding and deliberately run a red light. Not even 89k miles on my truck, but because of it's age and the deployed air bags my insurance company immediately declared it totaled.

Went to Home Depot today and the young cashier (wearing a toque in summer weather, kinda skate boarder look) said he dug my hat.....a stingy brim beater Flechet. I call it my Ed Norton hat....i realize the reference dates me very badly.
That reference doesn't date you at all in this crowd. ;) I bought my first "real" hat back in 2008--my first Akubra Fed IV--hoping I'd soon have my own Ed Norton hat. Still waiting. :(

...Is it the herd instinct? A cap worn back to front gets no more than a glance, but anything else, if the herd are not wearing it, then it's not cool.
Something like that, yes. People say they don't want to draw attention to themselves, but the imbeciles around here seem to do everything they can to prove themselves wrong. Ball caps turned back-to-front are the least of it--since the pandemic precautions went into effect I've lost count of the number of people I've seen shopping at the local market dressed as if they literally just rose out of bed. o_O

Last edited:
Quite so, a compliment that I often hear is, distinguished. Someone that I once worked with loved my hats, he commented about how he liked Indiana Jones' hat, but thought that it looked good on Harrison Ford but would make him look stupid. He was also someone who seemed self conscious. "You should go to The Goodwood Revival," I suggested, he looked it up and thought it wonderful, but still didn't go. In his words, he didn't have the balls.

Is it the herd instinct? A cap worn back to front gets no more than a glance, but anything else, if the herd are not wearing it, then it's not cool.

It was an interesting experience when I first began to make custom hats. Wanting to make hats I offered friends, family, an ex boss, an ex girl friend, to make them a custom hat at either no charge or my hard cost (depending on my mood at the time). They were not 'hat wearers' per se. But they all responded with "I would love a hat". The stopping point for them was the unavailability of a hat shop and the thought of a custom was so remote as to be impossible. If nothing else I have helped turn 6 or 7 guys (and two women) into avid hat wearers.

Ha, my car is a whole 2 years newer than yours.....200,000km and still running fine (Hyundai Sante Fe)

Frankly, this Impala has been wonderful. Still runs like top, has plenty of giddy-up, and hasn't started nickel and diming me like others I've had. "Only" 148K miles, and meets more than my minimum requirements and then some. My wife has a 2006, but with fewer miles.

It is a manual transmission....hard to find in a new car these days. I am inclined to run it til it drops. I am only putting on about 6K a year these days so this might be the last car I ever own. My friend got 400K out of a Corolla....that is amazing to me. We had a 1985 Mustang as a second car....sold it after 18 years with only 85,000km on it but it got impossible to find parts for it.

The manual transmission - no better security device these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner