Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

JJ Katz

Familiar Face
Can you explain the precise definition of “vintage” which you are using?

It seems to be a rather flexible word.

Agreed; it can mean several things. In the context I am using, it would refer to anyone who, occasionally or frequently or even daily, dons clothes that are generally archaic or disused in contemporary culture. I don't mean a suit or a tie (though they are increasingly rare). I mean a boater hat or spectator shoes or separate collars, etc..

For instance (at the less 'historical' end of the spectrum):

DSC02321.JPG

Who?

Practically Family
Agreed; it can mean several things. In the context I am using, it would refer to anyone who, occasionally or frequently or even daily, dons clothes that are generally archaic or disused in contemporary culture. I don't mean a suit or a tie (though they are increasingly rare). I mean a boater hat or spectator shoes or separate collars, etc..

For instance (at the less 'historical' end of the spectrum):

View attachment 439286
Thank you.

I guess I wasn’t aware that proper dress was now “vintage” but perhaps I misunderstood.

Live and learn.

JJ Katz

Familiar Face
Thank you.

I guess I wasn’t aware that proper dress was now “vintage” but perhaps I misunderstood.

Live and learn.

Perhaps the picture I posted, somewhat lightheartedly, is at the "presentist" end of vintage.
Though i think that anyone, today, wearing a 3PC suit, hombrg and club collar is clearly not teh norm, even in London (let aloen anywhere else).

I was trying to address mode of dress that I think we can all agree has become relatvely niche and, being based on past tradition. Perhaps a more truly 'vintage' outfit might be this:

ss09.jpg

Who?

Practically Family
Perhaps the picture I posted, somewhat lightheartedly, is at the "presentist" end of vintage.
Though i think that anyone, today, wearing a 3PC suit, hombrg and club collar is clearly not teh norm, even in London (let aloen anywhere else).

I was trying to address mode of dress that I think we can all agree has become relatvely niche and, being based on past tradition. Perhaps a more truly 'vintage' outfit might be this:

View attachment 439334
That clarifies it. Thanks.

Today we went to our local tavern for Wing Wednesday. My wife and I are always recognized and our hats commented on as we are the "hat people"....always in a good way! Today with the temperature in the 90's we decided to sit inside and enjoy the A/C and did not wear hats. Well, today we were recognized and admonished for NOT wearing a hat. "Where are your hats today?" was the general line of questioning. We had to promise our server to wear our hats next time regardless the temperature.

Today we went to our local tavern for Wing Wednesday. My wife and I are always recognized and our hats commented on as we are the "hat people"....always in a good way! Today with the temperature in the 90's we decided to sit inside and enjoy the A/C and did not wear hats. Well, today we were recognized and admonished for NOT wearing a hat. "Where are your hats today?" was the general line of questioning. We had to promise our server to wear our hats next time regardless the temperature.
Absolutely have had this same reaction if I leave my hat behind........same for business dress events where I am quite known for my bow ties and chose to wear a long tie.....(usually forgiven if I wear a tri-fold cravat).;)

Absolutely have had this same reaction if I leave my hat behind........same for business dress events where I am quite known for my bow ties and chose to wear a long tie.....(usually forgiven if I wear a tri-fold cravat).;)
A woman who is a regular at the pub....she is there everytime we are......always stops at our table to chat about our hats. Yesterday she walked past us twice.....pretty sure she did not recognize us in our hatless state.

Have gotten this same reaction on rare hatless occasions myself. “Where’s the hat??” Odd how quickly something different turns into what is expected.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Well, today we were recognized and admonished for NOT wearing a hat. "Where are your hats today?" was the general line of questioning. We had to promise our server to wear our hats next time regardless the temperature.
Oh yes, how I empathise with that. I've been called almost everything from: "Indiana Jones to Roy Rogers." I'm known as the hat guy. "Hat Guy, me? Who would have thought?"

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We paid a visit to our local brewery on Friday afternoon and the young woman behind thew bar remarked how much she liked my hat. When it came time to settle up my tab, I was surprised to find that I'd been given quite a break on the number of beers I had. I can only chalk it up to how much she liked my hat. ;)

FB_IMG_1662312101331.jpg

...People who aren’t sure if they can “handle” wearing a hat make me wonder.
Most of the people I've met during my life preferred to live their lives rather anonymously. Even when any social media platform was at it's peak popularity, most of the members used pseudonyms and avatars that weren't actual photos of them. They don't want to draw any attention to themselves, and wearing anything other than a ball cap on your head these days draws exactly that kind of unwanted attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot