Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

I used to sport the Costanza wallet…. But I became increasingly convinced my Dad’s hip issues were related to sitting his own Costanza wallet year over year. So I skimmed mine down some and switched it to the front

AD66F2CF-CE2B-495D-980C-550A6911777A.gif

A front pocket wallet has become popular because people don't carry cash anymore, not much anyway. Maybe 5 cards are it. I'm an old guy and I always have enough cash to grab a good deal if given the opportunity, and membership cards, C.C.s, etc, skinny wallets don't work for me.
You forgot to mention cell phone apps. I visited a new (to me) barber shop earlier this year, and methods of payment hadn't been mentioned until I produced my debit card. "Oh, yeah, I probably should have mentioned we don't take credit or debit cards..." then named three different cell phone apps I could use, none of which I had ever heard of. They still accepted cash, so luckily my bank was only three blocks away.

I used to sport the Costanza wallet…. But I became increasingly convinced my Dad’s hip issues were related to sitting his own Costanza wallet year over year. So I skimmed mine down some and switched it to the front

View attachment 387589
You're correct. Speaking from personal experience, sitting on a wallet that thick can indeed cause back and hip problems simply because it shifts everything out of place over time.

Samson25

Familiar Face
What a kind compliment, it's much appreciated, thank you.

Nowadays there's a myriad of ways to pay for a purchase, PayPal for example, Pay-what? Then you can pay by gizmo. Wave your phone/card/watch/jock strap, ok, I made up the last one, but you can point almost anything at the reader and it's paid. Of course Big Brother knows who you are, what you've spent and every other detail about you when paying in such a way. Then there's cash, that filthy folding stuff that sits comfortably within your wallet and never divulges your inner secrets.

Yeah right! In the days before pay by gizmo, a young lady, who may, or may not, be looking for a suitable husband, knew exactly what to look for. A married man might leave the wedding ring off but the astute ladies knew that a slender wallet was due to the fact that a married man carried photos in his wallet, where his cash used to be!
The whole idea behind ( making) paying super convenient with waving a device, credit card, etc. is to detatch you from your relationship to your money.
Easy to whip out a card and not think about the amount or bill coming at the end of the month. Why do you think there are so many financially innept / drowning in debt out there?
Much more real pulling out "that dirty paper stuff" and handing it over for something you think/ thought you need(ed).

DoubleD

New in Town
A front pocket wallet has become popular because people don't carry cash anymore, not much anyway. Maybe 5 cards are it. I'm an old guy and I always have enough cash to grab a good deal if given the opportunity, and membership cards, C.C.s, etc, skinny wallets don't work for me.

Between ID's, personal cards, company credit and debit cards, insurance card and HSA debit, I carry nine or ten cards. I also carry a few hundred everywhere I go. Plus 2-3 pocket knives, one or two flashlights, a mechanical pencil, a vanishing point fountain pen.

My *wallet* is the first I've had that wasn't trashed in about a year. Sometimes makes security at airports a bit tough.

Five and a half years and looks better than new: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D7UQ19S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GHT

I'll Lock Up
"You have a classic car, I'm sure," the fellow on the till said as I paid him after fuelling my wife's car." "Indeed I do," I replied. "It's an old MG," he answered for me. "You have a good memory," I said. "Actually," he said, smiling, "it's your hat that I remember, nobody ever comes in to fill their car wearing a hat like your's."

"I think he looks impeccable," the lady behind me remarked. I smiled a thank you towards her, then I paid for my fuel, promised the cashier that I would be back with the MG before too long and left.

On the what hat thread you can see that I started the day wearing a Biltmore straw, but Tina said that Esther's Strat-a-like suited my blazer much better, so I changed lids.

shirts and blazer 013.JPG

At my son’s orthopedic appointment today wearing my newest arrival Knox Milan weave straw and a linen shirt. When the doctor, a gentleman in his 80s came in to inform us he was giving my son his clearance handed us both tootsie pops. He then says…. “Dad is very happy. Looking like a movie star.. yes? He looks like MarLon Brando… on vacation“

I wasnt sure to make of it.. or what that would even mean…. But just say .. “Thank you” ;) And of course the Brando impressions followed:D:p:cool:

E9096686-5E72-4927-B550-0736E1539FAC.jpeg

JJ Katz

Familiar Face
I'd like to ask your help on an article I'm writing. This thread is about others' reactions to your wearing of traditional hats. What I am researching are situations / anecdotes when your wearing "vintage" clothing such as felt hats, etc. has affected your close friends and family, both positively or negatively.
If you'd rather messgae privately, that's fine, of course.

Gary in NC

One of the Regulars
I'd like to ask your help on an article I'm writing. This thread is about others' reactions to your wearing of traditional hats. What I am researching are situations / anecdotes when your wearing "vintage" clothing such as felt hats, etc. has affected your close friends and family, both positively or negatively.

I have been wearing brimmed hats for the past decade or so for sun protection and I’ve discovered I like them as an umbrella alternative as well. I never really thought about what others would think - I bought my first hat and started wearing it. I liked it and bought another. I do usually get my wife’s and daughter’s opinion before buying or wearing to an event. They’ve got a good eye for fashion and are brutally honest with me if I’m about to wear something stupid looking. It’s good to have people like that.

During the cooler months you’re more likely to see me wearing a bowler than anything else. I’ve got several and I absolutely love them. My wife says she likes the way I look in them and that I pull it off well. It DEFINITELY gets attention when I walk into any kind of gathering place with one on. People either look away, look at me and smile, look at me and laugh (not insultingly, but like they enjoy seeing it), or actually come up to me and start a conversation about it. Once in a while somebody will say something awkward or even insulting if I were to take it that way. Regardless - I think almost everyone in the area notices and reacts in some way.

I think it‘s because it’s so different and unexpected - especially bowlers. It’s something that’s just not done. So when somebody is seen wearing one confidently and owning the look, it gets attention. Fortunately my family and friends have all reacted very positively and don’t seem a bit embarrassed to be seen with me. It helps when I’m with them and random strangers of all ages come up to me and say they love my hat!

Who?

Practically Family
I have been wearing brimmed hats for the past decade or so for sun protection and I’ve discovered I like them as an umbrella alternative as well. I never really thought about what others would think - I bought my first hat and started wearing it. I liked it and bought another. I do usually get my wife’s and daughter’s opinion before buying or wearing to an event. They’ve got a good eye for fashion and are brutally honest with me if I’m about to wear something stupid looking. It’s good to have people like that.
Same here, although I tend to more march to my own drummer as I get older.

I get a surprising number of apparently very sincere compliments on my hats. I don’t travel in circles where there are many flat-brimmed ball caps worn sideways. I do not recall seeing a nice fedora or homburg on the street for many years, and I dont ever recall seeing a bowler.

The protection and isolation from the sun and rain which a 4” brim provides is really quite extraordinary.

PS: I don’t do “vintage” because I am vintage. I was there for some of it.

Last edited:
At my son’s orthopedic appointment today wearing my newest arrival Knox Milan weave straw and a linen shirt. When the doctor, a gentleman in his 80s came in to inform us he was giving my son his clearance handed us both tootsie pops. He then says…. “Dad is very happy. Looking like a movie star.. yes? He looks like MarLon Brando… on vacation“

I wasnt sure to make of it.. or what that would even mean…. But just say .. “Thank you” ;) And of course the Brando impressions followed:D:p:cool:

View attachment 437879
That's a great casual summer hat Joe! If it were mine I'd probably have to correct that asymmetrical brim, but it isn't so wear and enjoy it!

My friends are my friends because they accept me for what and how I am. So in terms of my hat wearing it is a non starter....it just is. For others I encounter in my town it is only very positive. My wife and I invariably wear a fedora or cap when out and about. We are known and recognized as the hat people. So when we walk into Costco, SaveOn Foods, a pub or restaurant we are greeted with a friendly familiar hello (or a 'nice hat' comment) as if we were friends.....even though they don't know us, or even know our names. But we are recognized through our hats.....there is a consistency to our look that breeds familiarity in our encounters with others. We like being known as those 'hat people'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass