Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^^^ You two are looking very sharp indeed. Glad to see that you are setting a worthy example for the rest of the country.
The other day I was wearing my wide brimmed light tan colored Fedora and the mailman paid me a compliment. He said something to the effect of “Beautiful hat. Great sun protection. Nice to see something other than baseball caps every once in a while.” Made my day.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
^^^ You two are looking very sharp indeed. Glad to see that you are setting a worthy example for the rest of the country.
What a lovely compliment, kind of you to say so, Tom, thank you. Originally Tina made her suit with a button closure down the front, but she thought that the finished appearance needed a 'lift' so she rehashed it into a balero style. and what a difference it made.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
The fascinator comes in all guises. This one that Tina is wearing is fitted to a band that, in turn, fits over her head. It means that she can wear the hat like fascinator at any angle. Think I will stick to the fedora.
View attachment 377622

The Queen of TFL! It is always a pleasure to see Miss Tina and her wonderful creations. I would give much to have even 1% of her skills and creativity. Very smart looking, the both of you.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The Queen of TFL! It is always a pleasure to see Miss Tina and her wonderful creations. I would give much to have even 1% of her skills and creativity. Very smart looking, the both of you.
Like all the posters of the male gender here on The Lounge, you are sir, a true Gent. Tina has always had that special talent for dressmaking, and dressmaking is the generic term for making almost any garment. Her aunt, that's her father's sister, was very talented in much the same way. When Tina stayed with her aunt the two got on famously, so it was no surprise that at eight years old, my wife to be, had mastered the intricacies of pattern laying, fabric cutting and understanding the fabric nap and grain. Perhaps the reason that she makes such fine quality garments is because she has never lost the love of her creativity. She certainly enjoys the hours that retirement has given her, and dare I say it? So do I.

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
Just returned from spending the entire day at the steeple chase… I got a lot of compliments on my Mallory fedora. (And a few on my vintage WWII A-2 flight jacket)
There were a lot of men wearing Fedoras and flat caps so I just blended in.. just the same I did not feel comfortable snapping photographs of the ladies in their hats because they were all with their husbands and boyfriends and I did not want to seem like the creepy old guy! LOL! But here are a few pics of the afternoon. And a perfect afternoon it was! About 7000 in attendance, not a cloud in the sky and topped out at 64°f

F0D1A075-FDB6-4A7B-92C8-2E004FFBB2BC.jpeg
EB4FA363-35F1-48C9-A506-DC106A5DF8EC.jpeg
269B6986-BB22-4D8F-8F48-99A81C5DDB08.jpeg
B299A81E-0992-4B2E-A647-BAFF257FD516.jpeg
5AB69773-1357-4BFC-9F76-3504C26B3226.jpeg
FFCD2ADB-FD01-4F9A-9E0F-17301BACF4DF.jpeg
7171AF78-C7FE-40B8-89C2-F8188EBEDBFB.jpeg
09B42C5E-2B74-4C0F-9676-A4418F3CE12D.jpeg
D03101B3-1D46-4BEA-A325-C897A20D017B.jpeg
3DDCA80C-88E0-4F5C-894F-33F3DABBCDBB.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Just returned from spending the entire day at the steeple chase… I got a lot of compliments on my Mallory fedora. (And a few on my vintage WWII A-2 flight jacket)
There were a lot of men wearing Fedoras and flat caps so I just blended in.. just the same I did not feel comfortable snapping photographs of the ladies in their hats because they were all with their husbands and boyfriends and I did not want to seem like the creepy old guy! LOL! But here are a few pics of the afternoon. And a perfect afternoon it was! About 7000 in attendance, not a cloud in the sky and topped out at 64°f

View attachment 378898 View attachment 378899 View attachment 378901 View attachment 378902 View attachment 378903 View attachment 378904 View attachment 378905 View attachment 378907 View attachment 378908 View attachment 378909

Beautiful pictures.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Karma.

Today I was wearing my 60s brown Resistol Twenty soft felt bowler. A good friend of mine was razzing me about wearing two hats, the bowler and one to wear to cover it up! I told him I wore it to get compliments from pretty women. An hour later eating lunch at a restaurant, an attractive female stopped at our table and gave me compliments and high praise for the looks of my bowler. Needless to say, my friend was astonished!

20201214_100633.jpg 20201214_100613.jpg

Karma.

Today I was wearing my 60s brown Resistol Twenty soft felt bowler. A good friend of mine was razzing me about wearing two hats, the bowler and one to wear to cover it up! I told him I wore it to get compliments from pretty women. An hour later eating lunch at a restaurant, an attractive female stopped at our table and gave me compliments and high praise for the looks of my bowler. Needless to say, my friend was astonished!

View attachment 378938 View attachment 378939

Very, very nice, Randy. Gotta love good timing!

That’s an especially sweet lid.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Wearing a hat makes you stand out most of the time. In the Internet I've seen a very aggressive anti-fedora stance and a lot of stereotyping on anyone that wears a hat, especially on us younger men.

I haven't had any negative remarks thrown my way, but a family member told me that I was getting some looks when we went to Walmart after church on a Sunday. My friends usually say I dress like the Godfather.

The internet, and internet forums , have given the moron a soapbox to stand on and preach, what is and what is not, acceptable to their view on life.

In truth, I have never had a negative remark and as you all know, I wear shirts you can't miss, two tone shoes that could easily create a discussion thread of their own and fedora hats, the only concession to which, I don't have, but Santa might get the message, colours like bottle green and burgundy, only because they are less popular and therefore more expensive.

A case in point. At the checkout of the supermarket, a sweet old lady paid for her purchases and was about to leave. I said to her: "Don't forget your bottle of Bailey's," adding, "or we might all be having a party with it."
"Oh," she said, smiling at me. "A man in a hat, with an honest heart." "I love his hat too," the young lady on the till added. "Tell your boyfriend to get a hat," the old lady advised the cashier. "He's got one," the cashier replied, "only he wears it back to front." "What a shame," the older lady remarked. To which I took of my hat and in a show-off-manship gesture, bowed and thanked them for their compliments. It caused much amusement, but not once did I feel self-concious.
green fern shirt 003.JPG

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
The internet, and internet forums , have given the moron a soapbox to stand on and preach, what is and what is not, acceptable to their view on life.

In truth, I have never had a negative remark and as you all know, I wear shirts you can't miss, two tone shoes that could easily create a discussion thread of their own and fedora hats, the only concession to which, I don't have, but Santa might get the message, colours like bottle green and burgundy, only because they are less popular and therefore more expensive.

A case in point. At the checkout of the supermarket, a sweet old lady paid for her purchases and was about to leave. I said to her: "Don't forget your bottle of Bailey's," adding, "or we might all be having a party with it."
"Oh," she said, smiling at me. "A man in a hat, with an honest heart." "I love his hat too," the young lady on the till added. "Tell your boyfriend to get a hat," the old lady advised the cashier. "He's got one," the cashier replied, "only he wears it back to front." "What a shame," the older lady remarked. To which I took of my hat and in a show-off-manship gesture, bowed and thanked them for their compliments. It caused much amusement, but not once did I feel self-concious.
View attachment 380920
That’s awesome!!!! well I did feel a touch self conscious today but thats all on me. I went to the grocery store this afternoon and it was busy. All eyes were on me (from my peripheral view as I shopped) and noticed some double takes but no one snickered so there’s that… Fashion Faux Pas aside. :D
Royal Stetson Playboy

FEC0FB93-0964-4033-B69F-5AD7AD48A667.jpeg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
What a great hat, what a great ensemble, you carry off the look impeccably.

Today is, or was, that dreaded day that all men loathe, the day when they know that if they leave it any longer it will be panic stations and a large hole in the wallet will appear, caused by panic buying. Today I did my Christmas shopping.

There's a range of fragrances, or perfumes if you prefer, that I know is on my wife's wish list. She also jotted down the cosmetics that she favours, most of which I found in a gift pack. However, there was one fragrance that was out of stock. I must have looked crestfallen, the perfume is one of Tina's particular favourites, I also knew that I might have to drive some distance to find it elsewhere. Perhaps one day I might learn to buy online, you never know, I might even learn that cash, as in the filthy folding stuff, is not the only way to pay.

Just as I was paying for my purchases, a lady appeared at the counter, turns out that she's the sales supervisor, she held up a bottle of the perfume that was supposedly unavailable. "This," she said, "was to be for counter use, we always allow customers a dab to help make up their minds. It's yours, pro bono."

"Free!" I answered, "thank you very much indeed." My questioning look must have said it all. "You come in here, year on year, you are known for your appearance and let me tell you, if my husband dressed like that to go out Christmas shopping for me, I would be most flattered." The young lady on the counter added: "I've never even seen my boyfriend wear a tie, let alone a hat." "Ladies, I'm humbled," I told them, as I took my leave of the shop.
blazer and hat 004.JPG

Today is, or was, that dreaded day that all men loathe, the day when they know that if they leave it any longer it will be panic stations and a large hole in the wallet will appear, caused by panic buying. Today I did my Christmas shopping.

There's a range of fragrances, or perfumes if you prefer, that I know is on my wife's wish list. She also jotted down the cosmetics that she favours, most of which I found in a gift pack. However, there was one fragrance that was out of stock. I must have looked crestfallen, the perfume is one of Tina's particular favourites, I also knew that I might have to drive some distance to find it elsewhere. Perhaps one day I might learn to buy online, you never know, I might even learn that cash, as in the filthy folding stuff, is not the only way to pay.

Just as I was paying for my purchases, a lady appeared at the counter, turns out that she's the sales supervisor, she held up a bottle of the perfume that was supposedly unavailable. "This," she said, "was to be for counter use, we always allow customers a dab to help make up their minds. It's yours, pro bono."

"Free!" I answered, "thank you very much indeed." My questioning look must have said it all. "You come in here, year on year, you are known for your appearance and let me tell you, if my husband dressed like that to go out Christmas shopping for me, I would be most flattered." The young lady on the counter added: "I've never even seen my boyfriend wear a tie, let alone a hat." "Ladies, I'm humbled," I told them, as I took my leave of the shop.
View attachment 386839
Tremendous

MisplacedHillbilly

One of the Regulars

View attachment 386839
I think sir, you are living proof of what ZZ Top wrote
"Clean shirt, new shoes
And I don't know where I am goin' to
Silk suit, black tie (black tie)
I don't need a reason why
They come runnin' just as fast as they can
'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man
Gold watch, diamond ring
I ain't missin' not a single thing
Cufflinks, stick pin
When I step out I'm gonna do you in
Top coat, top hat
And I don't worry 'cause my wallet's fat
Black shades, white gloves
Lookin' sharp, lookin' for love
'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man"
;)

glider

A-List Customer
Apparently, my hats have gotten some attention, if I don't wear a hat some people ask where my hat is and if I do, they want to inspect it and of course give their opinion. I've offered to take them to Levine hat to find them a hat. A few of them would like to do that when we get around to it.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
"Clean shirt, new shoes
Silk suit, black tie (black tie)
I don't need a reason why
Gold watch, diamond ring
I ain't missin' not a single thing
Cufflinks, stick pin
When I step out I'm gonna do you in
Top coat, top hat
And I don't worry 'cause my wallet's fat
Black shades, white gloves
Lookin' sharp, lookin' for love
'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man"
;)
That's some compliment, thank you. Apologies for being pedantic but I must correct one tiny detail:
"And I don't worry 'cause my wallet's fat." That is a dim and distant memory.

DoubleD

New in Town
Much of the reaction to a hat comes down to the attitude of the wearer.

I think people can tell the difference between the guy who is completely comfortable with his hat and the guy who notices people looking at him.

I've told people who've asked me about hats: 'either you wear the hat, or it wears you.'

GHT

I'll Lock Up
"Clean shirt, new shoes
Silk suit, black tie (black tie.)
Much of what I wore that day came about through TFL. Edward posted something about online outfitters: Samuel Windsor, that's where I bought the blazer. https://www.samuel-windsor.co.uk/
Blue &white blazer 007.JPG
Former Lounger, Esther Weis, made the hat. https://www.esther-weis.com/
ewh.jpg
Another former Lounger SimonC now has an online business, it was from Simon that I bought the shoes: https://simonjamescathcart.com/products/navy-spectator-shoes
blue2.jpg
The trousers were made by my wife, Tina.
trousers 012.jpg
The shirt, tie, socks, cufflinks & tie pin, came out of the wardrobe.

Attachments

• Blue &white blazer 007.JPG
    Blue &white blazer 007.JPG
    348.8 KB · Views: 301
  • ewh.jpg
    ewh.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 328
  • blue2.jpg
    blue2.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 330
  • trousers 012.jpg
    trousers 012.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 336

Samson25

Familiar Face
GHT....You got some serious style go'in on there !
Love your contributions here.
I'm noticing more (positive) attention myself when wearing a proper hat.
Pay with cash whenever possible. I'm old school that way too.

View attachment 386839

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
GHT....You got some serious style go'in on there !
Love your contributions here.
I'm noticing more (positive) attention myself when wearing a proper hat.
Pay with cash whenever possible. I'm old school that way too.
What a kind compliment, it's much appreciated, thank you.

Business cards are all that save me from the skinny wallet syndrome!
Nowadays there's a myriad of ways to pay for a purchase, PayPal for example, Pay-what? Then you can pay by gizmo. Wave your phone/card/watch/jock strap, ok, I made up the last one, but you can point almost anything at the reader and it's paid. Of course Big Brother knows who you are, what you've spent and every other detail about you when paying in such a way. Then there's cash, that filthy folding stuff that sits comfortably within your wallet and never divulges your inner secrets.

Yeah right! In the days before pay by gizmo, a young lady, who may, or may not, be looking for a suitable husband, knew exactly what to look for. A married man might leave the wedding ring off but the astute ladies knew that a slender wallet was due to the fact that a married man carried photos in his wallet, where his cash used to be!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy