Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Snowman

Practically Family
7B69DB05-EAD0-4C40-A209-457F5A786263.jpeg

Went to the local big box fabric store yesterday. Looking for a few little items and inquired about glue that stays pliable. The female clerks there have adopted me as their pet hapless man in a woman's world. I am known as that 'hat maker guy'. I think they really take pity on me and go to great lengths to help me out. I am immediately recognized even though no one knows my name....other than that 'hat making guy'. It is nice to be recognized even if for only my haplessness. I was surrounded by 3 clerks offering their opinions on what glue would best suit my needs. I was going to buy all 3 suggested glues so I didn't disappoint the other two clerks!!!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've worked in a large retail 'box' store for a couple of years now, and deal with many people all day.

I wear a fedora everyday. I usually rotate through about a dozen of my favorite hats. which include a mix of modern, vintage, and customs - Akubras, Adventurebilts, Stetsons, Dobbses, Cavanaghs, a Hufvud, and a Penman.

I get a compliment on a hat every once in a while which is always nice.

Today I decided to wear to work, for the first time, my Lamson & Hubbard, a 1930s tall-crowned, short brimmed hat that screams authenticity, afaic. The crown is time-rumpled, and the hat looks genuinely lived in.

In the first hour and a half into my day, I got seven enthusiastic compliments. This is a record for me, and definitely put multiple smiles on my face.

lamson & hubbard 20210101_105439 618x800.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Good to hear, Scotty. It sounds like you wear your hats with confidence and I think most people appreciate such things.

I've worked in a large retail 'box' store for a couple of years now, and deal with many people all day.
I wear a fedora everyday. I usually rotate through about a dozen of my favorite hats. which include a mix of modern, vintage, and customs - Akubras, Adventurebilts, Stetsons, Dobbses, Cavanaghs, a Hufvud, and a Penman.

Today I decided to wear to work, for the first time, my Lamson & Hubbard, a 1930s tall-crowned, short brimmed hat that screams authenticity, afaic. The crown is time-rumpled, and the hat looks genuinely lived in.
In the first hour and a half into my day, I got seven enthusiastic compliments. This is a record for me, and definitely put multiple smiles on my face.

View attachment 491845

View attachment 491845
Mark me down as another. Great looking hat!

Yesterday was my wife's birthday and a beautiful spring day.

We went to a nice upscale casual eatery on the waterfront. We were both wearing hats. A young server came up to our table and asked..."Excuse me, are you ********", ( a name I had not heard of at all). I responded. "Before I answer, who is he and what has he done?". She replied "He is an actor". I responded, "Is he a great actor and really handsome?". She replied..."He is pretty good." "Not me but I am a famous hat maker" I said.

She seemed disappointed! Not the first time I have disappointed a young woman.

Yesterday was my wife's birthday and a beautiful spring day.

We went to a nice upscale casual eatery on the waterfront. We were both wearing hats. A young server came up to our table and asked..."Excuse me, are you ********", ( a name I had not heard of at all). I responded. "Before I answer, who is he and what has he done?". She replied "He is an actor". I responded, "Is he a great actor and really handsome?". She replied..."He is pretty good." "Not me but I am a famous hat maker" I said.

She seemed disappointed! Not the first time I have disappointed a young woman.
And happy birthday to Mrs Wolfbrae ;)

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A couple of months ago I transitioned to a new position. Same company but a new roll. This has placed me in a completely new facility. Most of my coworkers are new to me and therefor have never seen me wearing my hats. I wear my hat through the building to my desk. I have a computer bag in my right hand and my cane in my left. So I only doff my fedora if I stop to talk to one of the ladies. Once I get to my desk my fedora goes on a hatstand until time to leave.

It didn't take long before conversations started about my hats. Usually something like; Man, I wish I could wear a hat. I hope hats come back in style. Etc. You know the comments. There are a few cowboy hats in the building and many ball caps.

Several of the ladies came to me yesterday and said "there is only one person that causes us to stop and see what he is wearing." They did say that they are bummed by the thought of me not wearing fedoras in the summer months because of the excessive heat. I just smiled.

My back is still bent and that's why I use the Shillelagh. It's not bent as much as before my surgery. But I think I walked out of the building standing taller than I've been in a long time. And, I believe my hat was a bit tighter. Go figure?

A couple of months ago I transitioned to a new position. Same company but a new roll. This has placed me in a completely new facility. Most of my coworkers are new to me and therefor have never seen me wearing my hats. I wear my hat through the building to my desk. I have a computer bag in my right hand and my cane in my left. So I only doff my fedora if I stop to talk to one of the ladies. Once I get to my desk my fedora goes on a hatstand until time to leave.

It didn't take long before conversations started about my hats. Usually something like; Man, I wish I could wear a hat. I hope hats come back in style. Etc. You know the comments. There are a few cowboy hats in the building and many ball caps.

Several of the ladies came to me yesterday and said "there is only one person that causes us to stop and see what he is wearing." They did say that they are bummed by the thought of me not wearing fedoras in the summer months because of the excessive heat. I just smiled.

My back is still bent and that's why I use the Shillelagh. It's not bent as much as before my surgery. But I think I walked out of the building standing taller than I've been in a long time. And, I believe my hat was a bit tighter. Go figure?
Love that story

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
The result of wearing your hat proudly. Congrats, Bill, and hope your health continues to improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points