Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

An indirect reference. After having several years of hats (and the things that go along with them) around the house, my wife made a comment that actor Christopher Meloni's head looks like one of my hat blocks ... a #52 I think.

Now I can't unsee it.

View attachment 512230

View attachment 512231
Does that mean he has a perfect 52 head…. Or a block head.

BigHat

New in Town
Quite often get "I like your hat" comments especially in bars and at music events. On the rare occasion I encounter another hat wearer I usually receive a nod of approval or the occasional doff of respect. Walking around town wearing my Akubra Campdraft recently and was stopped by a gent and his wife. They wanted to know where i bought it and how much it cost.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I wore my Bertiel bowler into an antique shop a few weeks back. The male owner asked where I got it. He thought it was a costume piece until I said, "Paris". He stood from his seat and it became "Yes sir and No sir" for the remainder of my visit!

20191106_091528.jpg

I wore my Bertiel bowler into an antique shop a few weeks back. The male owner asked where I got it. He thought it was a costume piece until I said, "Paris". He stood from his seat and it became "Yes sir and No sir" for the remainder of my visit!

View attachment 512265
Yes, antique shops (which I go to frequently) often elicit positive response to my hats (that and for some strange reason the millennial drive thru attendants). The Antique crowd seems especially to love the hats.

On the street I OFTEN get positive comments on my hats and cannot remember ever hearing an "Indiana Jones", "Cowboy" or like comment. Not even when wearing such hats.....

Quite often I get a "yes Sir", "no Sir", "thank you Sir", "excuse me Sir", response from certain members of the public for some reason I still cannot fathom, quite often in Walmart type stores (and often in hotels).

So, you just never know.............

Who?

Practically Family
Quite often get "I like your hat" comments especially in bars and at music events. On the rare occasion I encounter another hat wearer I usually receive a nod of approval or the occasional doff of respect. Walking around town wearing my Akubra Campdraft recently and was stopped by a gent and his wife. They wanted to know where i bought it and how much it cost.
Although I frequent neither bars nor “music events” my experiences are the same.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
"Man, you look the business!" That was the comment my Stetson Sovereign got yesterday. Tina and I had travelled to London, we were taking a rest stop at one of the service stations. We drew glances here, there and everywhere, but one fellow was smiling from ear to ear, when he spoke all he said was, Man, you look the business. I just smiled and thanked him. Getting back into the car, and seeing me glowing in my recent compliment, Tina said, in a dismissive tone: "Show off!"

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Being still young looking, I'm 37 but can pass for mid 20's, I often get ignored most places I go. If I deal with a retail clerk it's rare I get treated respectfully. I don't get mistreated but I don't get "Sir" either.
Then one day I lost a bet and had to grow a handlebar mustache. Suddenly I started hearing "Sir".
Then came the day I wore my first fedora. A Borsalino stingy brim. I found I didn't necessarily get a lot of compliments but I got a noticably higher number of sir's. Could have been the suit too.
I tried out my new Fed IV and I got a lot more Sir's and received several compliments from both men and women, young and old.
Funny thing happened at a restaurant. There was a screech banshee at another table, little 5 or 6 year old screaming goblin, acting up but the birthers, I'll not call them parents, would only ignore it. I got mad and gave them all my sternest "I'm about to break you" look. Within seconds the kid was sitting at the table quietly.
Long story short, what I found is that I get a lot more respect and deference with the hat vs without and the mustache adds to it.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
All dressed up, ready for church yesterday and with more than an hour to spare, Tina asked me to go along to a local grocery store for a few provisions. I must have looked a sight all suited and booted with my shopping basket in hand and the Fedora topping it all off.

"Just got back from the palace?" A fellow shopper quipped, it took a second or two for the penny to drop, he was implying that I had attended the coronation. I had to laugh, I'm no monarchist but no party pooper either. There's a general upbeat mood at present, so I just went along with it.

"One does have standards you know," I replied with a grin, "Standards?" He repeated, "and some!"

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
Early January we had a cold snap. I had a function to go to and parking was a few blocks away. It was a bit misty and barely above freezing. I made sure to wear my Burberry trench and my Borsalino. I made a stop on the way and heard a few comments about Inspector Gadget. However as soon as we stepped outside they near froze and I was perfectly fine. One of the punks came up asking how I could stand the cold as well as I was. I explained that I dressed to be out in it and that my "Gadget" look kept me warm and dry. He made a comment about getting a coat like mine as he ran off to get in his car. That was the worst response I ever got. At the dinner I received a lot of compliments on my hat and outfit. Especially from shivering cold women wearing dresses suited for warm summer nights.

DiamondJimLA

New in Town

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner