Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

I've taken to wearing berets much of the time... and almost always when I travel. It is much easier to choose - just pick a few colors - and no worrying about whether a hat will fare safely through airport security or have a place to rest in a restaurant.

I've also noticed
alan_willard_2023.jpg
how many more nice comments I get wearing a beret than in any other hat. Just returned from a trip to D.C. where the thumbs up were plentiful and always day brightening to an old-timer like me. ;^)

StoryPNW

Practically Family
Normally people dont seem to notice or care about my hats, which is fine, but I went out to dinner last night with family and friends and I wore my Gannon Highwayman. As I was walking to our table a middle aged lady I was passing by said she loved my hat, it reminded her of her grandfather. She said still has his hat and that he was known as Cowboy "Bill." It was nice of her to say, and made me smile.

Cuvier

One of the Regulars
I wish I had gotten a picture of me but yesterday I wore my Fed IV in the barely above freezing rain staying dry and warm. I got a few odd gazes but then I stayed dry and heard the comment, "I need to get me a hat like that. I'm freezing!" Other that his wife I was the only one around and that store doesn't sell hats so I felt good.

Never fails…. Sitting at the edge of my driveway handing out Halloween candy to the kids. Wearing A T-shirt and sweat shorts with a brown Borsalino featherweight on my head. One of my neighbors…. Enthusiastically…. “OH WOW! Are you Indiana Jones?!?!” Well clearly! Must have been the floral Hey Dudes that gave it away!

shopkin

New in Town
Thank you.

I'm going to try making a functional, removable brush for my hat. Every day when I feed the chickens it gets peppered with stuff falling from the vegetation.

Last edited:
The one thing, I noted:

When I'm wearing darkblue-stone type III Denim jacket plus hazelnut traveller (felt)hat, I'm of course look very different from the german perspective and people (including youngsters) really step aside, from time to time.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I got a few nice, "Wow, it's a German hat" compliments at the church Oktoberfest lunch yesterday.

View attachment 556507 View attachment 556508
Hat & brush.jpg
It deserves those compliments, it's an attractive hat with an unusual adornment and you have the benefit of a spare should you ever mislay your shaving brush.
Just teasing Randy, it really is a very likeable hat, and, you wear it well too. Compliments to you.

harrytemp

One of the Regulars
As someone new to wearing hats people don’t care or at least I didn’t care what people wear. Only a cowboy hat would demand such attention. I was on the other side at one time.

Since I’ve been wearing hats there are two reactions:

-the stranger that compliments you because he genuinely likes your hat and asks questions.

-the stranger that gives you compliment because you are the only person they saw wearing such a hat that day. Lol

The compliment are usually:

Nice hat!

You are very brave.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, as always. It is a playful hat, no doubt, but I will be able to carry it off nicely at celebrations during the year (Oktoberfest, for example) and when I visit areas of Texas that hold onto their Germanic heritage (Fredericksburg and Muenster in particular). Besides, what other hat does the owner get to decorate so freely with pins and ribbons and all manner of buttons and patches that would be completely unsuitable for any other style of hat? While the hat bears homage to my wife's family name (Schuman) and my maternal family (Von Gannon), I've already added a Trinity knot to keep me from drifting too far away from my own Celtic roots :)

Being a Mac Lacklan, it is a well-built hat that also maintains some credibility among hat collectors. And, yes, in a pinch, I now have an emergency shaving brush! More importantly, I now have another option with which to tease my grandkids. They have already deemed this one my "funny hat".
20231101_080259.jpg
View attachment 556743
It deserves those compliments, it's an attractive hat with an unusual adornment and you have the benefit of a spare should you ever mislay your shaving brush.
Just teasing Randy, it really is a very likeable hat, and, you wear it well too. Compliments to you.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The Gamsbart is worn on the hat as hunting trophy and therefore as a display of manliness. They were never intended as brushes. Not always worn on the side, but often on the back as well. They can get quite prominent!

View attachment 556874
hedgehogs.png
Gämsbart (translates into English as: a tuft of chamois hair worn as a hat decoration,) well you live and learn Stefan. Without Google I would have translated Gämsbart as a hedgehog, a pet hedgehog!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails