Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good evening folks. I have not been posting much of late as it has been darn right bitter cold in my area of Minnesota. Today it warmed up to nearly 20'F. A veritable heat wave after below 0'F for a much of a couple of weeks. In any case, wearing a felt hat has been out and I have been wearing a wool or even a synthetic, newsboy cap much of the recent weeks. A couple of hours ago, pitch dark and around 10:00pm, I got back from my coaching gig at the gymnastics gym and started shoveling the accumulated snow at the foot of our driveway in order to get my car in the drive to the garage. Our city plows were working and must have deposited over 24" of snow in the foot of our driveway. Impassable. A heap of snow for me to clear. I opened the trunk and pulled out my shovel (all Minnesotians carry shovels in an emergency kit in their trunk) and started in on the snow. After starting to work up a sweat I was startled to see the flashing lights of the local police pulling up. He called out on his loud speaker for me to put down the shovel and turn into the light. Being startled and a bit intimidated by the local police, flashing flights in tonights very dark evening, I quickly complied. Putting the shovel down, and turning into the light I faced the unknown. It seemed a wait, but I am certain it was not long, the voice on the speaker said, "Thanks you sir. I know you. You the guy with the hat and the curly black dogs." The policeman got out of his warm comfy car and explained that the older lady down the street called in that a "strange guy in a cap "was being very suspicious" in his actions in the street in front of my driveway. The police responded by sending a car to see what was up. I, "the guy with the hat" who walks the curly black dogs, was wearing a cap and not dressed in my usual costume. I had to laugh with the officer who was genuinely in a good humor about the visit. Together we went over to visit my neighbor to re-assure her that all was nearly normal in the neighborhood.

The local officer told me that he and other local police know me from wearing my hats and walking our Port.Water Dogs thru the local area. I was informed that the local police guys like my hats and think they are "sharp and classy." He spoke that his favorite hat is that blue-green one with the bulging ribbons on the side. (?? I think it might be the VS Executive inspired hat.) I thanked him for his duty and courtesy and wished him a good evening.

My wife and I have had a good laugh tonight at my initial discomfort/anxiety and the resolution of my being a suspicious character. You have to know that my 5'3", 130# frame can not qualify me as threatening, but perhaps as suspicious. Although as I am writing this I am pleased to think that our local police know me and think my hats are "sharp and classy." I am a bit taken thinking that our local police speak about me.

Thankfully not suspicious, but "sharp and classy," Eric -

GREAT story, Eric, and good to know you're in good health, sir! A GREAT story!

My brother has been saying for years now that I am "the guy who wears hats" in our town, whether I like/realize it or not. Guess he's right. Thanks for the update.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
When the shrink asks: "Mr. Jones, do you really believe, you're a Jew?", then you seriously know something is wrong lol

Ha, thats perfect!

Aaron, you'll have to consider this congregation in the summer...
http://www.asbi.org/cat/about-us
"The Straw hat Shul"

Wow. The fact that the story and the name are preserved perhaps indicates a little long-held animosity. But you're right--surely they could object to no hat!

A

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On two occasions I got the Indiana Jones line. Each from guys wearing
Dodger hats, one backwards...

See, I am waiting for one of these so when I hear "Hey Indiana Jones" I can reply "Hey Sandy Koufax" or whoever from whatever sports team they are advertising. Around here I am sure it will be the Dallas Cowboys.

Warden

One Too Many
I am waiting for my new fez to arrive. According to my daughter she will never be seen with me while I wear it.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
I sometimes get 'looks' but most people either don't look/notice or don't care!
the only compliments when wearing a hat (fedora or straw) are nice ones
here is a photo showing sir Ian Mckellen and Sir Patrick Stewart
to me Ian Mckellen would get the least notice

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Fort_Pierce_Mural.bmp

Unfortunately, couldn't get it larger, she's in the far right of the mural.

FYI, Google is celebrating Hurston today since it is her 123rd birthday. Check it out, it's a great animation!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Usually I recieve nice hat.

The other day I was wearing a 1920s 8 panel cap, and was called a 'train conductor'. But alas, the nice cap compliments out shined that one (all though trains are fascinating)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Good evening folks. I have not been posting much of late as it has been darn right bitter cold in my area of Minnesota. Today it warmed up to nearly 20'F. A veritable heat wave after below 0'F for a much of a couple of weeks. In any case, wearing a felt hat has been out and I have been wearing a wool or even a synthetic, newsboy cap much of the recent weeks. A couple of hours ago, pitch dark and around 10:00pm, I got back from my coaching gig at the gymnastics gym and started shoveling the accumulated snow at the foot of our driveway in order to get my car in the drive to the garage. Our city plows were working and must have deposited over 24" of snow in the foot of our driveway. Impassable. A heap of snow for me to clear. I opened the trunk and pulled out my shovel (all Minnesotians carry shovels in an emergency kit in their trunk) and started in on the snow. After starting to work up a sweat I was startled to see the flashing lights of the local police pulling up. He called out on his loud speaker for me to put down the shovel and turn into the light. Being startled and a bit intimidated by the local police, flashing flights in tonights very dark evening, I quickly complied. Putting the shovel down, and turning into the light I faced the unknown. It seemed a wait, but I am certain it was not long, the voice on the speaker said, "Thanks you sir. I know you. You the guy with the hat and the curly black dogs." The policeman got out of his warm comfy car and explained that the older lady down the street called in that a "strange guy in a cap "was being very suspicious" in his actions in the street in front of my driveway. The police responded by sending a car to see what was up. I, "the guy with the hat" who walks the curly black dogs, was wearing a cap and not dressed in my usual costume. I had to laugh with the officer who was genuinely in a good humor about the visit. Together we went over to visit my neighbor to re-assure her that all was nearly normal in the neighborhood.

The local officer told me that he and other local police know me from wearing my hats and walking our Port.Water Dogs thru the local area. I was informed that the local police guys like my hats and think they are "sharp and classy." He spoke that his favorite hat is that blue-green one with the bulging ribbons on the side. (?? I think it might be the VS Executive inspired hat.) I thanked him for his duty and courtesy and wished him a good evening.

My wife and I have had a good laugh tonight at my initial discomfort/anxiety and the resolution of my being a suspicious character. You have to know that my 5'3", 130# frame can not qualify me as threatening, but perhaps as suspicious. Although as I am writing this I am pleased to think that our local police know me and think my hats are "sharp and classy." I am a bit taken thinking that our local police speak about me.

Thankfully not suspicious, but "sharp and classy," Eric -

... I once spooked a little girl in a JCPenny by accident... The set up was is that I was walking around the shop looking for an employee for some help. I was wearing a black suit, red tie and a Jaxon Pinch crown in grey. I noticed she was staring up at me as I was walking by, so I just smile. Adjusted my hat upwards and smiled. Next thing I know, I catch her out of the corner of my eye running away... Something tells me it was less of the hat that spooked her and more of a 6'3" skinny guy wearing a black suit and a red tie.

...here is a photo showing sir Ian Mckellen and Sir Patrick Stewart
to me Ian Mckellen would get the least notice...
Would he? I don't know too many people who would expect to run into Sir Patrick Stewart on the street dressed as a longshoreman. :p These days I think they would be equally recognizable, or equally incognito...until they spoke, of course--their distinctive voices would give them away.

... I once spooked a little girl in a JCPenny by accident... The set up was is that I was walking around the shop looking for an employee for some help. I was wearing a black suit, red tie and a Jaxon Pinch crown in grey. I noticed she was staring up at me as I was walking by, so I just smile. Adjusted my hat upwards and smiled. Next thing I know, I catch her out of the corner of my eye running away... Something tells me it was less of the hat that spooked her and more of a 6'3" skinny guy wearing a black suit and a red tie.

She though you were The Tall Man. :p

dmdmorris

One of the Regulars
I was very self conscious about how I looked in a hat. But now with the brutal cold temps (NJ) I just don't care. Now it's about staying warm. I've worn my Fedora and a rabbit Trapper hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn