Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I was wearing one of my 20s caps I brought the other day. When I went down stairs to talk to a friend, one of our Sergeants came over and said, "now that is a snazzy cap!"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

suitedcboy

One Too Many
" While in Denver this past weekend I received a Indiana Jones comment.
Not Jr. but Sr. !
The Major and I walked into a saloon and a girl at the bar said..
''Hey its Indiana Jones's dad and a cowboy.'' "

Wait! Being called Sean Connery is not a bad thing is it?

While in Denver this past weekend I received a Indiana Jones comment.
Not Jr. but Sr. !
The Major and I walked into a saloon and a girl at the bar said..
''Hey its Indiana Jones's dad and a cowboy.''
You should have turned to the Major and said, "Did you hear that? She thinks I'm a cowboy." ;)

F. J.

One of the Regulars
You the Preacher?

[...] Once Jim acknowledged me I asked about my item, while this guy is eyeing me up & down, the guy then hits me in the shoulder & asks if I'm a preacher. I chuckled & said no, I wasnt but I do deacon rarely, mainly up north. The guy assumed because of my dress I was a preacher :eusa_doh: [...]

From time to time, I have had some folks (mostly family) jokingly ask me, "Are you gonna be preachin' today?"

At other times I have been told I look like a preacher, which is funny because none of the preachers I know wear waistcoats or Stetsons. They usually are only in a (two-piece) suit on Sundays.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I've got kind of a funny one.

Every time I'm with my girlfriend and we run into someone she knows, she makes me take my hat off. She says she doesn't want anyone to think she's dating a bald guy. (I've got a full head of hair). :D

Landman

One Too Many
My favorite type of hat is an Open Road style hat with a cattleman's crease. I have one friend who likes to jokingly call me LBJ or Lyndon. I had never told that friend but I actually have one of LBJ's hats with his name on the sweatband and "LBJ Ranch" on the liner. These hats were made for LBJ by Resistol. He not only wore these hats but gave them away as gifts. Mine was probably a gift to someone because it appears to have never been worn. I usually don't wear it because of it's historical value but did one day because I knew I was going to be having lunch with that friend. After he gave me his usual LBJ comment I took the hat off and showed him the inside. The look on his face was priceless.

Edward

Bartender
I've got kind of a funny one.

Every time I'm with my girlfriend and we run into someone she knows, she makes me take my hat off. She says she doesn't want anyone to think she's dating a bald guy. (I've got a full head of hair). :D

It's funny how people make that association with a hat to hide baldness... I got into hats myself in a big way after I started shaving my head, but the two weren't connected. I'd long been wearing a cap for the cold in the Winter and a brimmed hat to keep the sun off my face and neck in the Summer, though certainly getting shot of my hair did make me even more inclined to be sure as to keep it covered from the Sun.

Still, there have been a number of men in the public eye who've resorted to the hat to cover a bald spot - particularly famous musicians like the Edge, in the days when long hair was popular. Keep a hat over the bald and it still looksl ike long hair, not a skullet.... Jack Mc Vitie - famously murdered by Reggie Kray - was known as Jack The Hat for years. Not a cool gangster nickname - it simply referenced the fact that he was vain, balding, and always wore his hat indoors when out to try and hide the bald spot.

Course, way back when my mother used to give off if ever I wore a hat in the house - somehow she gotg the notion in her head that that would make me bald. No idea why. Nowadays, I wear a fez in the house in order to keep my baldy head warm... lol

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
While checking out one of the local antique shops today wearing a leather jacket and Adam Executive I started down a crowded isle only to realize that a group of ladies coming down the narrow passage. I stepped aside to let them pass. As the last one passed I stepped to move on and she screamed, held her mouth and then started laughing apologizing saying that she thought I was just a "dummy". The "dummy" part has me worried but we all laughed non the less.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
While checking out one of the local antique shops today wearing a leather jacket and Adam Executive I started down a crowded isle only to realize that a group of ladies coming down the narrow passage. I stepped aside to let them pass. As the last one passed I stepped to move on and she screamed, held her mouth and then started laughing apologizing saying that she thought I was just a "dummy". The "dummy" part has me worried but we all laughed non the less.

I bet she only saw you out of the corner of her eye and thought you were a mannequin with a hat, after all, that is the only time a lot of people see "men" in hats is when it's on a "dummy"! LOL.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I guess, that's one of the very few "Dummy-books" still missing on the market: "Fedoras For Dummies". Write it, and I will love to buy the first copy lol

Excellent story, Dan! :eusa_clap

I guess, that's one of the very few "Dummy-books" still missing on the market: "Fedoras For Dummies"...
Fedoras_for_Dummies_zps530e0e54.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn