Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Wconly

Familiar Face
You know what? It doesn't matter -- if, and only if, you truly like the hat/hats and enjoy wearing said! Let it be! I have been wearing some kind, style, type of hat since I was a child in the '50's,' from fedoras, to deerstalkers to caps to a few cowboy hats, wool tweed walking hats and caps, etc. If the hat is 'you,' and you are comfortable in being 'you,' then what anyone else thinks, believes of conceives is in 'their mind,' and not yours. Just be yourself and comfortable in your hat, otherwise the 'hat' will be wearing 'you,' instead of 'you' wearing the hat! Just my two cents, on this one! W>

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
The human ability to laugh at yourself and to awkward situations is a good thing usually. CaramelSmoothy was dead on--the lady was startled and perhaps over reacted. Half a dozen people, myself included got a good laugh out of it, and several loungers have joined in--it was nothing more than that-- I feel that the world needs to laugh every once in a while , even at their own expense.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I got a big laugh today while at Wally World. I was behind a lady and a grade school aged kid and the kid kept looking at me over his shoulder. I was dressed in jacket and a fedora. The kid finally looked over his shoulder one last time then said to his mom---"mom, mom...MOM--there's a detective following us! sometimes it is just hard to keep a straight face.

FrankMc

Familiar Face
I get a lot of compliments when wearing my hats and quite a few "I should wear one", and I tell them "why not?" I also hear "I just can't find one that fits or looks good on me", and I advise them to go to a proper hat store and let them walk you through wearing a hat.

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
All that I've heard out in public about my hat wearing has been positive, mostly from teens. It's either, "I like that hat", or "Cool Hat". Most of the negative comments come from my wife, "You're not wearing that hat when I'm with you." or "You're not going to wear that hat are you?"

Yeah, I get this too... Mostly it's along the lines of I look stupid. But my kids love it, and I've got nothing but positive feedback otherwise, even if a couple of my daughters friends mistook it for a cowboy hat. I just thanked them and smiled, saying close enough...

jrstengel

New in Town
I got a big laugh today while at Wally World. I was behind a lady and a grade school aged kid and the kid kept looking at me over his shoulder. I was dressed in jacket and a fedora. The kid finally looked over his shoulder one last time then said to his mom---"mom, mom...MOM--there's a detective following us! sometimes it is just hard to keep a straight face.

That's great.

g.durand

One Too Many
I regularly get "nice hat" comments form work colleagues. The barista at the coffee bar in the neighborhood where I work has been chatting me up about my hats for over a year. The other day she mentioned that she told one of her male friends about this customer of hers and his custom and vintage hats, and that the friend told her he was envious of someone with such a hat collection.

BlackMaskPulp

New in Town
I'm a substitute teacher and this morning I was carrying my Fed IV into the office to check in. There were 2 secretaries and 2 teachers in there conversing (all female). One of the teachers I know says "Nice hat. Let's see it on." So I put it on and had all 4 women offering numerous compliments. It was a good way to start my day - until I realized I was at the wrong school! I mixed up two schools with very similar names. They had a good laugh and I high-tailed it over to the other school.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Someone asked me where I did get the feathers on my 5" brim Stetson (the only one I have with feathers) and said they looked nice.
Teenagers still pass by me and laugh...

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I don't wear hats every day, and less now than I have a couple of years ago. However, whenever I'm wearing one of my fedoras, the other students usually say the hat looks nice, or cool. It's been a while since it last happened, but whenever the question comes, I try to explain to them I bought the hat either on eBay or the Hats Direct website, for the Akubras. If people appear to be interested, I would direct them to the Hats Direct website, because that is where you could absolutely buy a quality hat, instead of bidding on one on eBay, and not be sure about getting it.

HamilcarBarca3

One of the Regulars
About a week ago I was visiting my grandparents in Mexico and I took my Stetson Sportlite hat since it gets really hot around this time over there. I didn't get any negative reaction, except for my grandpa who was playing around with my hat, my grandma got angry at that. He did look pretty good with a hat, I'll say that.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Just today, I had my first "drive by compliment".

I just parked my car in the lot at Costco and as I'm walking away, locking the doors, this random moderately elderly woman drove on by saying "Nice hat!" and just left the area. I was wearing black slacks, white button down shirt with a dark blue argyle sweater vest.

Huertecilla

Banned
Spent the best part of the morning having a good conversation with a charming lady.

It was a first time ever for me to wear a hat to a social thing as I have only just started to walk that route.
The preliminary part was my hat shopping in Málaga and Granada.
My vintage Kitten Finish was laying on the side and about two hours into the converstation btw, sorry to digress, but what a lóvely hat you have! Would you mind putting it on?´

I felt rather embarassed by the second part but how can you not??
She seemed to genuinely like it on the head too.

Not counting the Granada trip as I did not try on a hat, this makes two véry and unexpectedly positive experiences out of two. I had totally NOT expected this and think I can get used to this :eek: Let´s hope it is not begiiners luck and the only two compliments I will ever get ;)

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
One thing I have noticed since I started wearing mine, is that even though I rarely get a comment, I do tend to have better posture and carry myself with more confidence and self respect... Kinda funny how that works...

Huertecilla

Banned
One thing I have noticed since I started wearing mine, is that even though I rarely get a comment, I do tend to have better posture and carry myself with more confidence and self respect... Kinda funny how that works...

...and thát, your more confident, better composure, will be more noticed, draw more compliments. There will also those irritated by it and perhaps even be provoked in making a rude comment but that simply advertises theír personality problem.

It is weird but real. It is why I started horse riding with 18th C. style attire. Being (sub)consciously aware of the stylish outfit, my posture is better, thus my ´seat´ is better, thus my riding better, thus my horse better on the aids, thus my riding better, thus... resulting wáy different, better.

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
Don't get many reactions these days with the fedora's.

The Western is a different story, ever since I shaped it plateau-style and stuck a big white feather in the band, I've been wearing it nearly every day to work. I've seen people nearly walk into things staring at my hat. The sheer outrageousness of that particular style makes people smile, no one around here has a hat like that. I've also heard "that man has a nice hat" from passersby, usually elderly women.

Since I started wearing hats I've seen more of them appear around me. We're trendsetters. :D

new2hats

A-List Customer
I get the feeling that people think I'm weird, esp if I wear hats everyday to work, etc. "There goes that guy with the hat". Some occasional compliments by the fellas, especially the older ones. If I wear the cowboy type (Akubra Kiandra, not even cowboy), some have commented like "Where're the horses?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn