Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
The other day I was sitting at the car-wash, drinking coffee, and wearing my navy blue Stetson Renaissance Milan when I noticed a guy sitting some yards away giving me a really dirty look. Shaved head, needed a facial shave badly, stained t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops. I knew it was about the hat. I ignored him, and when I got the car I got nothing but compliments about the hat. This ever happen to anybody?

Yup, in the elevator some 60s/70s reject with a stained white baseball cap, white shirt, shorts, and flip flops kept on giving me dirty looks and kissing his teeth. I bet in the 2020s there will be a rebellion where young guys like myself will start wearing dress clothes in order to rebel from the slobs of the 70s/80s/90s.

I wear hats first of all for protection and than style. People these days think hats are mainly for fashion and that you need to have a certain vibe in order to pull them off.

foamy

A-List Customer
snip... I wear hats first of all for protection and than style. People these days think hats are mainly for fashion and that you need to have a certain vibe in order to pull them off.
I agree with that.

I read on someone's blog this morning that a friend told them that you can walk down the street with a bolt in your nose and get no reaction, but wear a hat...

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Most of the compliments I receive on my hats come from the ladies. That tells you something. When guys compliment me its usually followed by, "I wish I could pull that off." I try to convince them anyone can. Hopefully I'll succeed sometimes.

coble

A-List Customer
I had a crazy accurence. I went into a gas station to get a drink, and pay for gas, when this guy who was a little over 6 feet started to run at me. He stop right in front of me saying where did you get your hat, what's the store. I was wearing one of my Sunbody hats, after collecting myself now knowing I wasn't going to get robbed I told him where to go. On the side note no one recognizes me when I don't wear a hat. I've walked into stores where I know the people working and I could walk right by them without a hello. If I have my hat on its an automatic hello from them.

-30-

A-List Customer
" I went into a gas station to get a drink, and pay for gas, "
coble

Reminds me of what my grade seven teacher told us about a sign in his home country of Australia during the 60's"

STOP HERE
....... EAT
.. GET GAS

"now knowing I wasn't going to get robbed I told him where to go."
coble

Nicely, I would hope!!

Regards,
J T

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Yes he did ask where to buy one nicely. Just caught me off guard.

I was at a Royals game right before I left Kansas City, and these two guys were making their way through the parking lot with tickets to sell. One of them looked up at me and bee-lined right for me, getting right up next to me. Oh, boy, I thought, here we go. But what does he say? Looking at my Black Sheep custom, he says, "My man, that is one fine hat. I will give you $250 right here for it." Having been selling tickets, he undoubtedly had the cash, and he was wearing a nice-looking panama. I shared Bob's fantastic work with him but demurred on the sale.

A

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
So far, I've received many compliments from the ladies about my usual attire and FED IV in moonstone. The men on the other hand usually don't say anything as 99% of men don't know anything about style.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
"Hard working, but cool or hip look."

I was traveling this week and alternating between wearing a vtg. Stetson Stratoliner and a newsboy cap (Cordova Cap in Linen). I received many more comments about the cap. I was sitting in the airport in Houston, TX, USA wearing my cap and a very attractive woman (in early 30's) made an effort to cross the corridor to the coffee shop and sit next to me and engage in a conversation that was started by saying she was reminded of her Dad and Grandfather when she saw me. She saw the cap as a "hard working, but cool or hip look." For her it was a comforting and familiar look during a long business travel day. While her comment was contained in a 20 minute conversation, it did join my memory for its relative significance. Her travel companion joined her shortly. Another female business companion made our group three and we enjoyed the social conversation. Smart, pretty women with common backgrounds - what's not to enjoy. They provided all kinds of insight to what social customs and style they enjoyed.

Edified from my travel conversations, Eric -

It's interesting, though. I flew in and out of Atlanta last week, and there is definitely a "knowing glance" fedora wearers seem to give each other in passing. A little nod and smile. It's like being part of a club as we all pass through these common areas. And the ladies seem to acknowledge me before the guys do.

I'm OK with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot