Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

javadave61

Practically Family
Stopped by a local ice cream shop tonight, and the manager yells from behind the counter, "Any time you feel like it, you can just drop that hat in the mail and send it right along to me. That's a sweet hat my friend." Nice.

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
"Oh my. That has is everything. It's beautiful."

That was expressed to me by a customer's co-worker while I was on a sales call. She was glad to see a nice hat in a professional setting. I was wearing my Westbound'n'Down.

a96a5ced-fbe9-44cc-8827-ed2ea896d283.jpg

el_ote

Familiar Face

That was expressed to me by a customer's co-worker while I was on a sales call. She was glad to see a nice hat in a professional setting. I was wearing my Westbound'n'Down.

do you wear the hat in the office? i try to wear mine as long as i can, but i end up taking it off within a few minutes of getting to my desk. i used to hide my ballcap in my desk's hutch , now i have a hook on my tackboard so i can check out my hat often!

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, guys!

el_ote - I usually take them off in the office. I always take them off at a customer's office, unless we're outside. I had a customer ask me why I took the hat off inside, so I had to explain the common hat etiquette in a business setting. He was young. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

that thing is special

is this something you made ?

can I get some info on that ridiculously gorgeous slice ?

B1ggles

Familiar Face
Now friends...old friends...those people that used to be closer...well, that's where the nasty stuff comes from. Some of them always seem loaded for bear, with the nasty comments. I have our annual softball team reunion BBQ coming up next month and I thought about wearing a Panama. Then I started thinking about all the derogatory comments and cuts that would come from some of them. Rather than go and not wear it, I'm thinking of not going at all, for the first time.
You should go. In the Panama. If they come out with the comments, just laugh at their smart remarks. You know they'll actually be thinking, "Maybe I should wear one" but daren't say it.

I was walking past a pub early evening last week and there were a couple of guys outside for a fag*; I could see they were dying to say something. As I passed, one asked how the cricket had gone that day. I said I hadn't been but I was going the next day, so if he saw me the same time tomorrow I'd tell him the score. He grinned and said, "Nice hat". Honour was satisfied on both sides.

* for avoidance of doubt, that's a cigarette in English......

Hal

Practically Family
You should go. In the Panama. If they come out with the comments, just laugh at their smart remarks. You know they'll actually be thinking, "Maybe I should wear one" but daren't say it.
Yes, indeed! In these times hats work most naturally when the weather persuades their use, so a Panama is good when it’s very warm & sunny, and a hat is always appropriate with an overcoat or raincoat when it's cold or wet. Silly comments directed at the wearing of hats for practical reasons are just that - silly.

padams2359

New in Town
I always get complements on my hats. Many people think I have lost my hair, just acting proactively. I keep my hat on until I reach my office, then take it off in there. I usually put it back on when leaving for lunch, or for the day. I leave it on in stores, but would remove it in someone's home, office or most other indoor locations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

photogravity

One of the Regulars
One of my workmates made a whip cracking sound when they saw me in my Campdraft last week. I laughed and said the hat was an Open Road style because of the way I creased it and not the Indiana Jones hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndyR

One of the Regulars

I probably will go and certainly will be wearing the Panama. I think you're right on with that last statement. It goes back to that jealousy thing.

Andy

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Yes, indeed! In these times hats work most naturally when the weather persuades their use, so a Panama is good when it’s very warm & sunny, and a hat is always appropriate with an overcoat or raincoat when it's cold or wet. Silly comments directed at the wearing of hats for practical reasons are just that - silly.

I was just thinking about this regarding all the latest nice comments reported on by Dave, A'n'A, B1ggles, etc., and it seems to me that felt might get the most interesting looks. I mean, from my most recent outings, straw seems to be pretty common. I suppose due to the above mentioned practicality.

Felt is probably a bit more of a throwback and less common place. So it draws more attention. Hey, maybe it will get really chilly for my reunion BBQ and I'll be able to wear felt. That would do it. LOL!

Andy

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana