Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mostly people just smile, like Bob Roberts mentioned early on. I just smile and give a nod hello back to them. Family members say 'nice hat', 'looks good on you'.

Now friends...old friends...those people that used to be closer...well, that's where the nasty stuff comes from. Some of them always seem loaded for bear, with the nasty comments. I have our annual softball team reunion BBQ coming up next month and I thought about wearing a Panama. Then I started thinking about all the derogatory comments and cuts that would come from some of them. Rather than go and not wear it, I'm thinking of not going at all, for the first time.

Friend...I have to start being careful about how I throw that word 'friend' around.

Andy

Well put. Change things up a little and you will see who your true friends are.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
ROGERA and ANDYR: Really! Its just so amazing and I've noticed it to, so very often. Friends from High School and later years BEFORE "pre-hat" Bob days, will often make some kind of well, let's say "not encouraging" remarks. Its the same few people who had trouble accepting my pierced ears. They can't relate to change or self expression. Uptight, inhibited, narrow minded and frankly quite repressive. They accept it (begrudgingly) but certainly don't embrace or welcome it. Its too bad cuz those are the exact same ones who really should be encouraging and supporting their friends. Their "hangups" not mine... On the other hand, total strangers as well as new friends and aquaintences are always and extremely complimentary whenever I'm hatted. Its quite refreshing.

LeBois46

One of the Regulars
I had a waiter, a guy about 45 tell me he liked my Panama. Then he added that his son has one like mine. "Got it over at the mall. he said." I knew the store and the most expensive hat in there was about $50.00 maybe. Probably was Shantung straw. Mine was a BBB Montecristi that cost at least 12X more than his son's hat. I just thanked him as I thought at least his son was on the right track.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I had a waiter, a guy about 45 tell me he liked my Panama. Then he added that his son has one like mine. "Got it over at the mall. he said." I knew the store and the most expensive hat in there was about $50.00 maybe. Probably was Shantung straw. Mine was a BBB Montecristi that cost at least 12X more than his son's hat. I just thanked him as I thought at least his son was on the right track.

Really...? He was certainly on the "right track" enough... to pay you a kind compliment.

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Well some days ago I went to visit old friends that migrate to Canada and are spending their vacation here in Portugal. Haven't seen them for 5 or 6 years and took my EC hat with me. They liked it and said it looks good on me and encourage me to be a hatter. But then I had to trim brims and said no.

...Now friends...old friends...those people that used to be closer...well, that's where the nasty stuff comes from. Some of them always seem loaded for bear, with the nasty comments. I have our annual softball team reunion BBQ coming up next month and I thought about wearing a Panama. Then I started thinking about all the derogatory comments and cuts that would come from some of them. Rather than go and not wear it, I'm thinking of not going at all, for the first time...
People like this learn pretty quickly that I have no tolerance for their nonsense. I can be the nicest guy in the world, or the nastiest; you establish the rules, and I'll play your game. So as far as I'm concerned, once they've started it "the gloves" come off and I have no qualms about returning their rude comments and/or behavior using language that would be far from appropriate here on The Lounge. I'm too old for that sort of childish negativity, and have no desire to associate with people like that.

Of course, that's just me, and my methods may not work for everyone. :D

Positive reinforcement is always a good response when encountering someone wearing what we might consider an "entry level" hat. Hopefully it will encourage them to do the research and learn why the "other" hats are more expensive.

Last edited:

el_ote

Familiar Face
i love this thread. I haven't had any negative comments. I either get a "nice hat", or a smile.
wearing a good hat just feels right!

- Elías O.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
"Arizona", then, "Do you feel lucky?"

:) He did have some memorable quotes. Coogan's Bluff (Eastwood), where he was an Arizona sheriff operating in NY., spawned the TV show McCloud (Dennis Weaver). In the movie and then the series, the star character wore a cowboy hat and had constant conflict with the chief of police, who wore fedoras. (Lee J. Cobb-movie...J.D. Cannon-TV show).

Andy

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I have no qualms about returning their rude comments and/or behavior using language that would be far from appropriate here on The Lounge.

I understand and I've felt like doing that sometimes, but I usually just end up shaking my head and wondering why.

Andy

AndyR

One of the Regulars
ROGERA and ANDYR: Really! Its just so amazing and I've noticed it to, so very often. Friends from High School and later years BEFORE "pre-hat" Bob days, will often make some kind of well, let's say "not encouraging Its the same few people.........

See, that's the exact same scenario that I find myself in. I think it must be some form of jealousy. Maybe they see that you enjoy being the individual that you want to be and they don't have the guts to do that in their own lives. Just a thought.

Andy

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Very tru. They are still stuck in High School. JUST IN! Two hat compliments from the Baristas at Starbucks... Lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I think you need to stop caring all together and do you 100% of the time

what kind of boring stagnant world would this be if everyone liked what you did, said, and wore all the time ?

when certain people I know don't like what I say do and wear I take it as a compliment ... I don't want them to agree

AndyR

One of the Regulars
I think you need to stop caring all together and do you 100% of the time

what kind of boring stagnant world would this be if everyone liked what you did, said, and wore all the time ?

when certain people I know don't like what I say do and wear I take it as a compliment ... I don't want them to agree

I hear ya and agree. I don't care at all that they consider me a fool. I have thick skin, but some of these people just tend to spoil my good time at this event, because it's a constant barrage from them. It gets old after a while. Last year was the first time it was not enjoyable at all and that was 'without' an odd hat. LOL! So I'm thinking of blowing it off this year. If I 'do' go, I wear a hat, either way. :)

Andy

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I hear ya and agree. I don't care at all that they consider me a fool. I have thick skin, but some of these people just tend to spoil my good time at this event, because it's a constant barrage from them. It gets old after a while. Last year was the first time it was not enjoyable at all and that was 'without' an odd hat. LOL! So I'm thinking of blowing it off this year. If I 'do' go, I wear a hat, either way. :)

Andy

sounds like a clan of real idiots to me

I wouldn't go either

stay around your family ... or stay around here and show us pics of your hats :)

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Fresh! Vibrant! Open minded... does not describe alot of my old "buds." If you didn't "go along" and "fit in" you were ostracized. Ha! Not anymore... Lol. IDGAF!

Fresh! Vibrant! Open minded... does not describe alot of my old "buds." If you didn't "go along" and "fit in" you were ostracized. Ha! Not anymore... Lol. IDGAF!

Frankly, Bob, that surprises me. You seem to be the kind of guy that would have never put up with that. You really strike me as a "carve your own path" kind of guy.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thx. Thats a nice compliment. I've been carving things up a little more as I grow older. :) A big bunch of us all grew up together and all we did as young guys was "bust each others balls." Some of us still hang out together. As I said, some still think they're in High School. If they want to remain my friends, they've had no choice but to accept me, they basically do but the Olde Ways die hard...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24