Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

ninman

One of the Regulars
Went out for a walk and had a child say "Alright Sherlock". I wanted to tell him that Sherlock Holmes wears a top hat, and I was wearing a fedora. Then I had another child shout "Are you an investigator?"

That sort of thing is quite typical here in the UK. Apparently people here just don't have any respect for other people anymore.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
The day I bought my SBCD, while walking the streets of Seattle, I had a woman compliment me on what a great hat I was wearing. This was immediately followed by "can you spare any change?". It may have been a genuine compliment or perhaps just an icebreaker before putting her hand out. Or both. I thanked her for the compliment and gave her what little change I had in my pocket; I don't typically carry cash. I wished her a good day and went about my business.

I've lived in the Seattle area for about two years now. So far, it appears that when I wear one of my fedoras into town, I become a magnet for the homeless and the mentally ill on the streets. I've never had so many panhandlers go out of their way to engage me in conversation, and comment me on my hat. I love wearing my hats, but I don't like being the center of attention on a busy sidewalk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Going home from work yesterday, a woman said to me, 'You look sexy in that hat.'

I was wearing my Henry, which you will soon see wouldn't have made a difference what fedora I had on my head, just that it was unusual enough to warrant a comment at all.

I was driving, and she was 'walking,' if you catch my drift. I'm sure she would have said anything to catch my attention for a business proposition, but the hat was a convenient opening line.

I smiled and kept driving.

EstherWeis

Vendor
Ha, well. Most looks better with a hat on.
Adds some mystery to a guy's look and us ladies always like to see a guy that has the confidence to pull off a hat.

I get a lot of looks lately from older gentlemen.
They keep looking at my hat and they will add "nice hat" every once in a while.

I did have a starbucks barista asking where I got my hat.
He gave me my latte, I gave him my card in return...

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Adds some mystery to a guy's look and us ladies always like to see a guy that has the confidence to pull off a hat.

Didja pay for the drink?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

They lookin at more den yer hat Kid. ;)

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Just a few minutes ago, while waiting on line for my dinner, the woman in front of me turns to me and says (all together now), 'You look like Indiana Jones.'

I take a pause and say, very dead-pan, 'I don't know who that is.'

She says, 'You know, Harrison Ford?'

And I just give the slightest shoulder shrug. That was the end of that. :)

Great Response ! I think I'd have added a few crazy remarks to get her goat and her thinking , I have trouble resisting opportunities ... .

This morning I got a "Very sharp. Wish I could get away with wearing a hat." (I was again wearing my Borsalino.)
I replied "Thanks. You can. Just find the right hat."

Used to think I looked stupid in a hat, but that was before I started wearing fedoras. And it didn't help when I bought a flat cap as a teenager and my mom told me I looked like Stanley Myron Handelman. Hat went right in the closet and never came out.

Now I think most any man looks better in a fedora.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Two younger fellows (trendy 20' something fellows) turned to me at the coffee shop early this morning and said, "You is styl'n on us man. Kill'n the 'peerance. "

It was words, enunciation, and phrases I was unfamiliar with so it caught my ear and stuck with me. I tipped the brim of my hat and nodded thanks. I did turn to my phone and googled for a translation. I am smarter this afternoon having learned more urban slang.

Kill'n the 'peerance, Eric -

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Two younger fellows (trendy 20' something fellows) turned to me at the coffee shop early this morning and said, "You is styl'n on us man. Kill'n the 'peerance. "

It was words, enunciation, and phrases I was unfamiliar with so it caught my ear and stuck with me. I tipped the brim of my hat and nodded thanks. I did turn to my phone and googled for a translation. I am smarter this afternoon having learned more urban slang.

Kill'n the 'peerance, Eric -
Fo sho!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points