Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Out for lunch wearing a 3 piece tweed suit and a vtg. Stetson fedora shortly ago. A 20 something man came over to my table and rather smartly said "nice suit Inspector Foyle." The young lady accompanying him elbowed him and said, "if only you dressed as nicely." This is there second time today I have received the "Foyle" comment. Christopher Foyle, character in Foyles War, has high moral standards and is scrupulously honest and highly sagacious. The Foyle comments are obviously compliments. :);)

Thinking about going trout fishing later this afternoon, Eric -
I love that show! I would assume he wears Lock & Co.

Silverstreak

New in Town
Since I've been wearing more hats I've gotten compliments. Most people don't care or keep their opinions to themselves. At work I've been called everything from James Bond to Al Capone to Elwood Blues to Red Reddington. Hats aren't normal for the unwashed masses, so they conjure up an image. Ties Are now unfortunately the same way.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
For me its always a positive thing. I was walking out to my truck at a very busy VA Center wearing my Steston OR, and a lady that was walking towards me said; Nice Steston and smiled. I mean she was at least 25-30 ft away. That Lady knew her hats. Made me smile.
I have found that sometimes people just call hats, Stetsons ... kinda like Kleenex

I get it all the time ...

Yesterday I was grocery shopping wearing a hoodie and a 50's Bloomingdales fedora. I passed a group of firemen buying supplies for the fire hall and one said to "nice hat, where did you get it?" I replied Ebay and we started a conversation about the fun involved in hat hunts. He had a modest collection of 12 hats, most low end hats. But I could tell he was a lover of hats. Mentioned this site and advised him he would be well served to look into a custom hat if he wanted to really treat himself. We talked price points and he did not blanche at the number. I gave him the names of a few hatters here in the Lounge and I am pretty sure he will at least investigate a custom. He did not realize that a custom hat was within the budget of us working guys and not the sole domain of the rich and famous.

Hercule

Practically Family
I can't believe it, but yesterday I had a guy actually laugh at me (I was wearing a charcoal Fed IV)! I kid you not. I was trundling through the grocery store trying to quickly get what I needed, and this guy turns the corner, sees me and lets out a big laugh. He quickly and quite obviously tried to cover it up as he walked away. We were passed each other relatively quickly and I didn't look back, but I couldn't believe it, it was so strange. i can't say that it bothers me at all because it happened so fast and I figure it's his problem. Just an odd experience.

sebastian czentner

One of the Regulars
since ive started to wear hats, idnt receive any reaction, or if there was, nobody told me. But instead i've started to notice who wear hat or not. Here in buenos aires isn't uncommon see women wearing hats, i n man´s is uncommon, but almost are older than me both genres . men of my age rarely use hats.

I can't believe it, but yesterday I had a guy actually laugh at me (I was wearing a charcoal Fed IV)! I kid you not. I was trundling through the grocery store trying to quickly get what I needed, and this guy turns the corner, sees me and lets out a big laugh. He quickly and quite obviously tried to cover it up as he walked away. We were passed each other relatively quickly and I didn't look back, but I couldn't believe it, it was so strange. i can't say that it bothers me at all because it happened so fast and I figure it's his problem. Just an odd experience.

You never know. Maybe he was thinking of something as he rounded the corner ("Gee, I miss Uncle Seymour - he always wore a hat!"), and was reacting to the incongruousness of actually seeing somebody in one at that time.

Or maybe it wasn't the hat.:D

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
Yesterday I had lunch with some business associates that I haven't seen for quite a while. It turns out they haven't seen me wear a hat before. Although I wasn't wearing my hat at the table they noticed it on the chair next to me. One of the guys asked me about my hat. We ended up talking hats for about half an hour. Today I got a message from him that he has bought a hat, his first "real" hat.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday I had lunch with some business associates that I haven't seen for quite a while. It turns out they haven't seen me wear a hat before. Although I wasn't wearing my hat at the table they noticed it on the chair next to me. One of the guys asked me about my hat. We ended up talking hats for about half an hour. Today I got a message from him that he has bought a hat, his first "real" hat.
good on you bro ... spreading the love

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch