Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

-30-

A-List Customer
I had the same problem, but with my wife; it took 7 years to get rid of her.

Regards,
J T

(Welcome, from another Ontarian and do try The St Lawrence (Sunday) Antique Market.)

Last edited:
I'm actually surprised at the younger people that comment. I was checking out at the grocery store earlier this week wearing a black vintage OR when the young lady cashier (maybe still a teenager, but everyone looks young to me these days) commented she liked my hat.

frussell

One Too Many
Last week I was stopped at a red light when a young lady hit me from behind. She wasn't going very fast but she did hit me hard enough to ruin the rear bumper on my truck and do quite a bit of damage to the front of her car. We pulled over into a parking lot and called the police.

When the officer arrived the first thing he asked was if anybody was hurt and we told him that nobody had been injured. The next thing he said was "I really like your hat, Sir". I was wearing an old 1950's Stetson Open. He then asked for our driver's licenses and insurance cards. Since I had a pistol in my truck I also handed him my concealed handgun license and told him I had a pistol in the truck. Without even looking at the handgun license he immediately handed it back and said "I don't need that. Thanks for letting me know".

After we finished all the paperwork and the young lady left we sat in his patrol car for awhile and discussed hats. I don't know whether it was the hat or not but he seemed to find me trustworthy.

God I miss Texas sometimes. That conversation would have probably gone much differently with a police officer here in California, hat or no hat. Getting a concealed carry permit here is about as easy as finding a vintage Whippet or Stratoliner in size 8 for $20. I love San Antonio, still feels like it did when I was a kid, unlike Austin and Houston. Frank

stratcat

One of the Regulars
I'd like to tell you of my experiences over the last few weeks, as a hat newbie.

I've been wearing hats again for the last month or so and I have had nothing but good comments. Admittedly it has come at the same time that I've generally started to dress more appropriately for my 45 year old body. Rather than scruffing around in chinos and a pullover for work and jeans and t-shirts for evenings and weekends, I am now wearing shirts with ties, a sports coat and a lovely tweed overcoat topped off with my brown Fed IV or my acorn Akubra homburg.

I've had lots of great comments from men and women that I meet in my day to day work, about the clothing more than the hats really (the hats feel a bit like the 'elephant in the room'). I teach a lot of under 11 year old's and most have said they like the hat, some have said I look like a spy. The only marginally negative came from a retired chap that lives across the road who, while not being derisory, definitely sounded to be sneering when he said i looked "very much the city gent" (I live in rural Cumbria). As this chap dresses like a scarecrow most of the time I think I can ignore his comments:D

I'm totally hooked on this new image for me. I've never been one to follow the crowd, even my own mother called me eccentric!
Ok, so I'm a musician and teacher and a little eccentricity is usually expected and tolerated, but I don't give a stuff what anyone else thinks, except swmbo of course;)

Big Dave

New in Town
"I don't know whether it was the hat or not but he seemed to find me trustworthy."

Cool vintage hat and a gun owner....I'd trust you. I'm guessing you carry a revolver!

Dave

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
So the background to this story is that in my spare time, I drive for Lyft, which is the smaller rival to Uber, as a ride sharing company. If you've never heard of either, the simplest way to explain it is an on demand pseudo taxi service. As a driver, we're rated out of 5 stars, with our rating as an average of the past 100 rides. Lyft encourages their drivers to be friendly and sociable, our motto is "your friend with a car."

Accordingly I have a cheesy profile picture replete with big cheesy smile:

I'm out tonight on my usual Saturday night routine (while wearing my Optimo Dillinger) and get a pickup request from a hospital of all places. Pick up a pair of young guys in their 20's. The guy who requested the ride got in the front seat (which is encouraged in Lyft), and after the introductions and what not he says: "I placed a request right before this, but the driver was a 4.6. So I requested another one and got you. I saw your picture and thought 'this guy's got a hat, he's serious!"

I also carry a 4.92 rating, but it's the nice fedora which really is the icing on the cake. While my wardrobe in the "what hat are you wearing today" is decidedly casual, when I'm out driving I've at least got a collared shirt on. When I'm feeling fancy I'll grab a bow tie. Presentation counts!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Love the cheesy profile pic, Jared.
I've get to use either of the new ride services. When I travel I usually have a rental car.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Years ago when I was a musician in N.Y., I spoke with an old vaudeville performer in a bar late one night. We were discussing stage presentation when he said, " Ya gotta dress better than yer audience, kid." I've been teaching for many years now and have often thought about how right he was.

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
Years ago when I was a musician in N.Y., I spoke with an old vaudeville performer in a bar late one night. We were discussing stage presentation when he said, " Ya gotta dress better than yer audience, kid." I've been teaching for many years now and have often thought about how right he was.
I generally try to dress better than my clients but only marginally so. I want to show them respect but not look like I'm trying to show them up. I always ask about their dress code and up it a single notch.

fathergoose

New in Town
I live in Japan, and I see folks wearing hats on a daily basis, young and old, men and women, especially during this season: fedoras, pork pies, stingy brims, *flat caps, newsboys, watch caps, the occasional Elmer Fudd-styled hunting hat, even bowlers. *In fact, baseball caps are no more ubiquitous than flat caps these days, I'd say. *I'm not sure if this is because it's colder and wetter where I live (Shikoku), or because magazines and shops always include hats in their layouts and window displays. *People are more likely to comment on the fact that I'm not Japanese, and unless I'm completely decked out in vintage or vintage repro, no one gives me a second glance. *Except, ironically, for other foreigners. *Vintage is just another look here, one they're very, very good at it.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I attended a concert last evening, Eric Church. This concert took place a good distance from where I live; so I stopped off on my way home at gas station along the way. I was wearing a Resistol 6X City Limits western hat, black in color, along with a duster and boots. As I entered the station's store, I was greeted very kindly and got a few strange looks. As I went to complete my purchases the clerk did not charge me for a few items and told me they liked the hat. I found this noteworthy simply because I have been to this same station a number of times, this was the first time I wore my hat in the station store. I just found this interesting and wanted to share.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Interesting conversation with a stylish young black guy in the elevator at my Ft Worth hotel this week. He was with several people at the conference there and he loved my Cordova Starflower cap and wanted to know all about it.

By the time we got to the lobby, he was already on Jonathan's Etsy store on his phone checking out the various styles. I wandered off to head out to dinner, so I don't know if he made a purchase. He was wearing a black RedSox fitted cap, so he'd have known his size, if he needed it.

I attended a concert last evening, Eric Church. This concert took place a good distance from where I live; so I stopped off on my way home at gas station along the way. I was wearing a Resistol 6X City Limits western hat, black in color, along with a duster and boots. As I entered the station's store, I was greeted very kindly and got a few strange looks. As I went to complete my purchases the clerk did not charge me for a few items and told me they liked the hat. I found this noteworthy simply because I have been to this same station a number of times, this was the first time I wore my hat in the station store. I just found this interesting and wanted to share.

College buddy was at Gwinnett Arena for Eric Church with Dwight Yoakum. Wish I could've made that one, really like that venue & not too far from the ranch.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While waiting at my favorite Mexican restaurant for my take out order to be ready one of the young girls told me she liked my "little" hat. [huh]

A guy complimented me on my hat as I was coming out of the post office this morning....... then he asked if I could spare a few bucks :doh:

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
College buddy was at Gwinnett Arena for Eric Church with Dwight Yoakum. Wish I could've made that one, really like that venue & not too far from the ranch.

It was a great show. Both Eric and Dwight put on a good show. No it is not too far from your ranch. We could almost be neighbors, I am not far from Cherokee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24