Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
In Portugal no one addresses you a "nice hat" comment or any sort of comment. In my 10 years of hat wearer I still can count with my fingers the number of people that addressed me because of any hat I wore.
You can only judge for the looks someone gives you or that "small laughter" young people let loose.
That was what happened now (again) when I went to the supermarket to get a Jack Daniel's bottle.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
I had my brown Fed IV on today when I was stopped in my local supermarket by an older chap who stopped me and said that "it's so rare to see a gentleman wearing a trilby these days" and that I'd taken him back a good few years. He seemed genuinely delighted to see me wearing my hat. It made me feel good too.
:eek:

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
In Portugal no one addresses you a "nice hat" comment or any sort of comment. In my 10 years of hat wearer I still can count with my fingers the number of people that addressed me because of any hat I wore.
You can only judge for the looks someone gives you or that "small laughter" young people let loose.
That was what happened now (again) when I went to the supermarket to get a Jack Daniel's bottle.

You look good in a hat, sir. I would tell you in person but there are a few kilometers between us. :)

Landman

One Too Many
I'm getting so senile I can't remember if I posted this or not. If I did, forgive me. It happened to me at the Stock Show and Rodeo here in San Antonio last year. The rodeo is starting again this week which reminded me of the incident. After the rodeo performance last year I was going into the private club at the arena with some friends for a drink. There is an older gentleman that is there ever year just inside the club at a table with a hat steamer. He charges a few bucks to steam and brush your hat. The line was long so I just walked past him but he looked up at me and stared at my hat for a few seconds. I nodded hello and he nodded back. I was wearing a silverbelly Open Road style hat that Art Fawcett made for me. Later in the evening he found me at the bar and complimented my hat and immediately asked who made it. Obviously he could tell from a distance it was a custom made hat. I told him and took it off so he could look at it. He said he was very impressed with the hat and the workmanship that went into it. I thought that was quite a compliment considering how many hats he has handled over the years.

Mike, thanks for your post. An event that features a fellow with a hat steaming station is beyond my experience. Glad I could see it in your recollection.

miket5r

A-List Customer
When i use my Charlie Prince hat (from 3:10 to Yuma) and i go to the train station, a young boy said, that´s a cool hat and asked my where i have stolen it :)

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I got a very nice compliment from a student the other day. He noticed a few of my desk photos while I was wearing a hat with my kids or out on vacation. He said "it is so cool you wear those old time hats they look awesome!" High praise from a 12 year old

Landman

One Too Many
Mike, thanks for your post. An event that features a fellow with a hat steaming station is beyond my experience. Glad I could see it in your recollection.

Alan, you are welcome. The livestock show and rodeo is a very big event here that lasts three weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other hat cleaning stations on the rodeo grounds. I'm only familiar with this one gentleman though. I would imagine he does quite well during the three week event. Lots of dusty western hats at an event like this!

Here is a little history on the San Antonio Livestock Show and Rodeo.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_Stock_Show_&_Rodeo

http://www.sarodeo.com

Alan, you are welcome. The livestock show and rodeo is a very big event here that lasts three weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other hat cleaning stations on the rodeo grounds. I'm only familiar with this one gentleman though. I would imagine he does quite well during the three week event. Lots of dusty western hats at an event like this!

Here is a little history on the San Antonio Livestock Show and Rodeo.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_Stock_Show_&_Rodeo

http://www.sarodeo.com

And if you miss the one in San Antonio, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo starts the next day (yes, it's that time of year in Texas). You can find probably a dozen or so hatters in the exhibits, any one of which will steam, clean and/or reblock your hat for you, even if you chose not to have them make you one from scratch. Both are great events that support agricultural education and science.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Livestock_Show_and_Rodeo

http://www.rodeohouston.com/

Knotten

Practically Family
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was riding the light rail to work, wearing a brown fedora and a bow tie. I often dress this way and get few looks or comments. But on this day I had a lady walk up to me and say, "Well, that looks nice." I looked around and notice a few other people smiling and nodding toward me. How nice people are today, I thought.
Then I looked around some more. I saw someone dressed as spiderman -- the full outfit from head to toe. I saw assorted other super heroes occupying various parts of the train. Then it dawned on me. ComiCon was underway at the convention center downtown. Everyone thought I was going as Dr. Who.

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was riding the light rail to work, wearing a brown fedora and a bow tie. I often dress this way and get few looks or comments. But on this day I had a lady walk up to me and say, "Well, that looks nice." I looked around and notice a few other people smiling and nodding toward me. How nice people are today, I thought.
Then I looked around some more. I saw someone dressed as spiderman -- the full outfit from head to toe. I saw assorted other super heroes occupying various parts of the train. Then it dawned on me. ComiCon was underway at the convention center downtown. Everyone thought I was going as Dr. Who.

lollol

But... The bow-tie Doctor didn't wear a hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot