Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
If it's someone I know, like from work or the dentist/Dr office, etc, I might not be too terribly rude back. One day a guy at work walked by me and said something like "Halloween is over." I turned back to face him and said, "that's right, Mike, and that's why you need a NEW hat!" He always wears old, stained ball caps...

I was wearing my Akubra Balmoral at physical therapy a couple of weeks ago an older guy in the lobby stopped me at the door to ask if I had been "riding a horsey". Personally, I don't think it looks anything like a cowboy hat (my Akubra Snowy River, on the other hand...), but you guys can judge by the picture.

That said, I've seen quite a few jabs on social media about people who "haven't earned" their cowboy hat, including a very vicious post aimed at a police officer. I don't know what's spurred it, or if I've just become more self-conscious ever since my run-in at therapy, but I find the whole idea ridiculous. Is there a bigger trend I'm missing?
Nope. Some people are idiots; always have been, always will be. Accept the compliments, ignore the rest, and wear whatever you want to.

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
Inspector Gadget and Indiana Jones... Apparently these are the only references underdressed people know. Although comments are rare, I do get stares and subtle picture taking. I wear a suit and fedora to travel, and get compliments from airport staff and stewardesses ("It's so nice to see a gentleman dress again."). I wore a sear sucker and straw hat once, and a few "kids" walking behind me in the terminal started whistling Dixie...They thought they were being snarky - but I was glad I elicited the thought. I believe if I can make one person (man or woman) think twice about the crap they wear in public, I did my good deed for the day.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
When flying (As a passenger) I always wear a hat and sport coat, occasionally a tie, and khakis with boat shoes. Since I have to go through security, I forego the knee brace and carry a walking stick. Needless to say, I hear some interesting comments but I am always treated with courtesy and respect. I have been asked if I am not uncomfortable "All dressed up like that". My response is that clothes that fit properly are never uncomfortable.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I was wearing my Akubra Balmoral at physical therapy a couple of weeks ago an older guy in the lobby stopped me at the door to ask if I had been "riding a horsey". Personally, I don't think it looks anything like a cowboy hat (my Akubra Snowy River, on the other hand...), but you guys can judge by the picture.

That said, I've seen quite a few jabs on social media about people who "haven't earned" their cowboy hat, including a very vicious post aimed at a police officer. I don't know what's spurred it, or if I've just become more self-conscious ever since my run-in at therapy, but I find the whole idea ridiculous. Is there a bigger trend I'm missing?

Yes. A man holding a woman's lap dog.

Akira

New in Town
I've never had anyone directly say anything negative to me about my hats or my other "fancy" garments.

My cold weather outfit is typically slacks, a dress shirt, a bowtie (the legit, tie-it-yourself kind), a shawl collar cardigan, and a flat/Ivy cap. In actual winter, I'll throw a peacoat over this whole setup. I've gotten nothing but compliments on it. People - mostly women - have actually come up to me and told me how nice it looks and how they wish more people would dress like that.

From time to time, I've seen some people out of the corner of my eye snickering and whispering to each other, but who cares?

Studebaker Driver

One of the Regulars
If it's someone I know, like from work or the dentist/Dr office, etc, I might not be too terribly rude back. One day a guy at work walked by me and said something like "Halloween is over." I turned back to face him and said, "that's right, Mike, and that's why you need a NEW hat!" He always wears old, stained ball caps...
response:
"That's right, Mike, time for you to take that ridiculous mask off."

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family

I got the, "Did you ride up on a horse" question a while back. Just nodded and pointed to the chromed out old Harley across the lot. (CampDrafts ride well enough in large saddlebags. Great in RoadKing hard bags.)

But the vast majority of comments have been very positive.

Was along the Jersey shore for the past few days and got the most responses ever. From little old ladies to pretty girls and even kids. One guy wanted to know how I got such a nice "Stetson" since he had tried to find something like it but they all seemed inferior. People generally seemed fascinated by my moonstone CampDraft. Even bumped into fellow hat wearers in NJ and while waiting for the connecting flight in Texas.

But I agree with the earlier comments that this happens once you work your way into the hat and it becomes a part of you.

Fed

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
I was walking out the ticket gate from the Underground on my way to work and this other guy wearing a very clean, looked kind of 80's and cared for baseball cap with a prominent ganja leaf on the crown paused and said respectfully "after you". I think he was about my age but we were both checking each other's hats out (I was wearing my Dermotta fedora) and kind of smiled- nodded in acknowledgment of our respective hat thing, albeit different styles, which I thought was kind of cool.

I've had a couple of comments at work that it is a shame that men don't wear hats anymore. I told them to just wear them if they want to - who cares what others think if you are happy?

I sometimes forget I am wearing a hat so easier to be casual about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
I was walking out the ticket gate from the Underground on my way to work and this other guy wearing a very clean, looked kind of 80's and cared for baseball cap with a prominent ganja leaf on the crown paused and said respectfully "after you". I think he was about my age but we were both checking each other's hats out (I was wearing my Dermotta fedora) and kind of smiled- nodded in acknowledgment of our respective hat thing, albeit different styles, which I thought was kind of cool.

I've had a couple of comments at work that it is a shame that men don't wear hats anymore. I told them to just wear them if they want to - who cares what others think if you are happy?

Windsock8e

A-List Customer

Windsock8e

A-List Customer

Windsock8e

A-List Customer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24