Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Who?

Practically Family
Most of the people I've met during my life preferred to live their lives rather anonymously. Even when any social media platform was at it's peak popularity, most of the members used pseudonyms and avatars that weren't actual photos of them. They don't want to draw any attention to themselves, and wearing anything other than a ball cap on your head these days draws exactly that kind of unwanted attention.
What you say is absolutely true, but I still wonder.

As for “social media” I think it is/they are an abomination.

Edward

Bartender
Most of the people I've met during my life preferred to live their lives rather anonymously. Even when any social media platform was at it's peak popularity, most of the members used pseudonyms and avatars that weren't actual photos of them. They don't want to draw any attention to themselves, and wearing anything other than a ball cap on your head these days draws exactly that kind of unwanted attention.

I think that's exactly it. Certainly for men. Women seem more expected to set themselves apart in wardrobe (not that that is without its own set of pressures and expectations). I've certainly noticed in recent years in many places I've been a real notion among the mainstream that a man caring what is perceived as too much about his appearance is considered suspect. There is, of course, a time and a place where it is not unreasonable to care about the reasonable opinions of others; all too often, however, most folks are far too reasonable about the unreasonable opinions of others.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
We paid a visit to our local brewery on Friday afternoon and the young woman behind thew bar remarked how much she liked my hat. When it came time to settle up my tab, I was surprised to find that I'd been given quite a break on the number of beers I had. I can only chalk it up to how much she liked my hat. ;)

View attachment 448980

Proof that it pays to wear a hat!

20211103_020017.jpg

We paid a visit to our local brewery on Friday afternoon and the young woman behind thew bar remarked how much she liked my hat. When it came time to settle up my tab, I was surprised to find that I'd been given quite a break on the number of beers I had. I can only chalk it up to how much she liked my hat. ;)

View attachment 448980

Proof that it pays to wear a hat!

View attachment 449123

Can’t beat that kind of reaction Big…. Dollars and Sense!

Wearing one of my modern "Stetsonions" yesterday up at a historic site in view of the Packers stadium in Green Bay.....I stirred positive comment from a volunteer (who was wearing a nice custom himself) as well as members of the public and especially the re-enactors at the site........and dealers & public at the antique malls we visited on the way home...........quite common when we travel around.

I cannot think of a single time when away from home where someone does not say something about my hats....and always positive.....with some asking where to get one and others " wishing they could get away with wearing a hat"....;)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Green Striped Blazer & Fedora2.jpg

This image appears on my tailor's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/foxtailoringuk/
John, the tailor, was so taken with the way the hat compliments and finishes off, the blazer that he made for me, he asked for my milliner's phone number. He even said he would like some professional photos done. Such a compliment, so flattering.
cream fedora.png cream-fedora.png
The hat, like most of my hats, is bespoke, made for me by the ladies at Gamble & Gunn.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 450161
This image appears on my tailor's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/foxtailoringuk/
John, the tailor, was so taken with the way the hat compliments and finishes off, the blazer that he made for me, he asked for my milliner's phone number. He even said he would like some professional photos done. Such a compliment, so flattering.
View attachment 450167 View attachment 450168
The hat, like most of my hats, is bespoke, made for me by the ladies at Gamble & Gunn.
The entire outfit is simply “perfection”.

Gary in NC

One of the Regulars
Well we just got home from eating tonight at one of our downtown pubs. We were getting ready to leave and this old guy stopped me and said “hey I love your hat.” I said “well thanks”. Then he followed up by saying “my wife said if I wore a hat like that then I would be going out alone.” I just said “well I’m glad my wife likes it.”
39B44876-8B1F-4926-B54D-C8AFF45C942A.jpeg

Who?

Practically Family
Yeah that’s what I thought too. But I’m not the umbrella type. No need for an umbrella when I’ve got a hat. Ha!
Yes, well an umbrella is part of the uniform when one wears a bowler.

Besides, that hat will save up the rain until the brim fills up, and then dump it down the back of your neck.

That’s why bowler-wearing Englishmen always have an umbrella with them.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
A wife who does not like her husband in a hat...grounds for an annulment!

Love the bowler, Gary.

20200129_072511.jpg
Well we just got home from eating tonight at one of our downtown pubs. We were getting ready to leave and this old guy stopped me and said “hey I love your hat.” I said “well thanks”. Then he followed up by saying “my wife said if I wore a hat like that then I would be going out alone.” I just said “well I’m glad my wife likes it.”
View attachment 450195

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ