Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do I hide a scar on my face?

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Ok ladies I don't know if any of you noticed but I have been missing for two-ish weeks now. I was hurt by one of my kids at work (I teach severely and pervasively disabled boys ages 16-21). Well one of my kids wanted me off of him in a restrain and head butted me the center back of his head to the center front of mine. It was a very bloody injury and quite painful and bruised. I insisted on a plastic surgeon sewing me up but I still have a scar. Here is the damage the morning after, I got more swollen and developed a lovely black (well purple really) eye as a result. Please don't mind me being a ham this photo was for my boyfriend who is stationed abroad.
NewImage-1.jpg

And here it is now two weeks later. I am not supposed to do my hair because of hairspray getting in it, and the doctor said no makeup but as you can see I didn't listen so well. I figured he meant on the injury, so there is non there.
1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-1.jpg

I think the thing is huge and it is really noticeable to me. Everyone says I'm crazy but I think they are being nice to me. Anyway how do I cover this thing when I get the clear to wear make up again
?

Lenore

Practically Family
Grant Fan said:
Ok ladies I don't know if any of you noticed but I have been missing for two-ish weeks now. I was hurt by one of my kids at work (I teach severely and pervasively disabled boys ages 16-21). Well one of my kids wanted me off of him in a restrain and head butted me the center back of his head to the center front of mine. It was a very bloody injury and quite painful and bruised. I insisted on a plastic surgeon sewing me up but I still have a scar. Here is the damage the morning after, I got more swollen and developed a lovely black (well purple really) eye as a result. Please don't mind me being a ham this photo was for my boyfriend who is stationed abroad.
NewImage-1.jpg

And here it is now two weeks later. I am not supposed to do my hair because of hairspray getting in it, and the doctor said no makeup but as you can see I didn't listen so well. I figured he meant on the injury, so there is non there.
1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-1.jpg

I think the thing is huge and it is really noticeable to me. Everyone says I'm crazy but I think they are being nice to me. Anyway how do I cover this thing when I get the clear to wear make up again
?

I think some powdered concealer will cover it fine. It's not as bad as you think. I promise. :)

Lenore

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Am so sorry you were hurt. I hope you are feeling better!

Mederma is a scar reducing ointment ....now that its closed and healed its worth trying...

CVS or any drugstore should have it.

here is a thread on a similar topic with both ideas and makeup help

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=41132&highlight=scar

Why didn't I think of that? I've used it many times and also have used the kid's Mederma on Aurora when she's been bitten by other hooligans at daycare. It's wonderful. :)

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
I always think that scars are beautiful, now before everyone thinks i'm totally CRAZY, here's my reasoning. Be it from a car accident, a head butting (as in your situation), or from some other means, i think they show how strong a person is. I was in a car accident and have scars on my legs, i should have died that day, but i just walked away with some scars and a new lease on life.

But remember, it's still fresh, my car accident was 2 years ago and my scars are white and flat now. I still think you look great, and those people aren't lying to you, you can hardly tell.

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Sorry to hear about your accident. The surgeon did a very good job. It is still in the healing process so I would recommend mederma to make the scar vanish. I have a similar scar that cause nerve damage since it is located on my upper eyelid that all it needs is concealer and powder to cover it nicely. If that isn't giving you the coverage you like I recommend dermablend or look into getting an airbrush makeup machine.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Ouch! Grantfan...I'm so sorry that happened to you! I'm glad you had the presence of mind to ask for the plastic surgeon. Cross my heart, it really doesn't look bad at all.

I don't know if they still make it, but there used to be a product called DermaBlend. It came in a kit with tiny jars of, well, face spackle, that you could mix to your color and set with a special powder. (They also made a leg product too but not the same as the face.) I've seen Dermablend cover strawberry birthmarks and you'd have no clue they were there. I found the product really thick though and sometimes more noticable than the thing you were trying to cover.

Your suture line is so faint, dermablend might be over kill.

What about those mineral makeup concealors? They are highly pigmented and that's what you need just to cover the redness while you heal. Set it with powder and I think you are good to go.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
First of all I'm sorry to hear about your injury!

I am also in the "scars are beautiful" camp. Maybe not so much "beautiful" as "interesting." And when I say that I don't mean it as in "Wow, this tastes... interesting" - more "You are such an interesting person!" I was in an ATV accident about 7 years ago. I was *extremely* lucky and walked away only with some relatively minor injuries, broken bones etc., and a fairly large keloid (raised and red) scar on my right arm, courtesy of a barbed wire fence. It has gotten much better over the years, but I still get "What did you do to your arm?" sometimes. At this point I consider it a badge of honor.

To be honest, your scar is NOT very noticeable! It really isn't. Use a treatment such as Mederma to reduce it over time. For now I would just use a good concealer, which I think should cover it. I'm not sure about mineral concealers. I'm a huge fan of mineral makeup, but I've never had good luck with the concealers. My favorite "hardcore" concealer is by Bobbi Brown, it comes in a 2-piece pot with a tinted cream/spackle, and a powder you use on top of that. It covers anything!

http://www.amazon.com/Bobbi-Brown-Creamy-Concealer-Kit/dp/B000970B12

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
GrantFan, don't sweat it! it's healed very well. My 13 year old son was born with a slight cleft in his lip and it's virtually unnoticeable now.

A bit of dermablend if it really bothers you or something light reflective.

K

Wow- what an interesting person!

I also believe scars make one interesting and this one does no injustice to your lovely face.

I am currently healing up a scar from surgery on my neck, and one of the MOST important things not already mentioned here is SUNSCREEN. Keep your skin protected from the sun at all times!

Good luck to you and hang in there - it will get much less noticeable within the year.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I did notice you were missing! I'm so sorry you were hurt. The plastic surgeon did a great job, it could have been much worse.

Use Mederma as previously suggested. I broke my knee when I was a kid, and to this day still have a huge, ugly scar. It was pink for years until I started using Mederma, and it was white and flat within weeks.

As for the face, I'll confess - I have freckles all over my nose and cheeks, and a large broken blood vessel under my left eye. I use Benefit's Dr Feelgood to soften the freckles, and MAC concealer for the blood vessel. It covers it completely. I finish with opaque powder all over the face, then blusher. My skin is lily white with a lovely flush, and it's all an illusion! ;) Make-up can do anything.

Concealers and foundations specially made for surgical scars and such are also available, but you don't need to go that far. Don't stress, you're a beauty!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
You all have me convinced that mederma is the way to go. I have to go see the Doctor tomorrow afternoon so I can get his permission to go back in the classroom. I only had stitches for 5 days and he didn't want me to have to restrain another kid and accidentally have my head pop back open. So we will see what he thinks. And don't worry I am a sunscreen freak, when the doctor said to keep sunscreen on at all times I went to the store and bought the strongest stuff I could get I found SPF 100+ I was thrilled that is better than the SPF 55 I used to use. I will be even paler in no time or so I hope.

Inky

One Too Many
I am sorry to hear about your injury Grantfan and you have been missed!

I agree Mederma is the best - it has helped me with some surgical scars and some old scars as well. you have to be diligent in it's use and follow directions.

It look very good considering how fresh it is and you were wise to ask for a plastic surgeon.

make sure you protect it from the sun as well, you'll be fine.

miss_elise

Practically Family
i would agree on the don't go back too soon...

as a child I split my chin open... got my stitches out and then *bam* basketball to the chin... a week later when it was healing *bam* toboggan to the chin... so a nice small scar is now a bigger mess...

be careful...

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Its week two, so you still need to give it some time. Believe me, it will fade even more. It looks like you have a nice scar going on and not a keliod. Prob in another 2 wks it will be even less noticable=)

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Ouch. Sorry to hear of your injury.

I think it best to check out with, and follow your PS's instructions right now. Personally--and from my professional experience--, for a scar only two weeks out, it looks very good, so it most likely will fade until it's barely noticiable in a relatively short time. Once your PS gives you the go ahead for make up, you should be able to cover it up with the least amount of make up, and it will dissapear.
Of course, to the person who has to live with the scar, it is going to be noticiable for a long time, because you know where it is, and you are always going to be thinking about it, at least for a while.

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Sorry to hear about your injury and as :eek:fftopic: as it may seem, may I say while I was looking at your pics I noticed something.

You have some of the most big beautiful eyes I've ever seen!

Soo...

Feel better! :D

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
GF, I hate that this happened to you. For what it's worth, you were at least lucky that it missed the eyebrow. I am confident that your scar will fade to near non-existence but those ones that interrupt the hair of the eyebrow show up forever. I know - my face is a topographical roadmap of scarred up skin over busted bones. But I'm a roughneck. Get well soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner