How do you feel about(Vintage) fur?

Discussion in 'The Front Parlor' started by rocketeer, Apr 21, 2016.

1. MissMittens

MissMittens One Too Many

I like the aesthetic of vintage fur, but prefer fake fur because it doesn't shed and you don't need to care for it in the same way as you do a real vintage fur. While not necessarily matching my exact aesthetic because of the time period, I'm a big fan of orlon fiber

St. Louis likes this.
  2. slythwolf

slythwolf New in Town

I have a matching pillbox hat and scarf in a black and white fur, I'm not sure what animal it is, that I wear with my winter coats. I thought for a long time about whether I was comfortable with wearing fur, because little touches of fur trimmings are so emblematic of the midcentury winter aesthetic, and while there's really good looking faux fur being produced now, that's a relatively recent development and tends to have a more contemporary style. (Plus new things in general are usually out of my budget!) The conclusion I came to was that I think it's more respectful and honoring of the animal for someone who appreciates these accessories to take good care of them and get real use out of them as long as possible, than for the items to be discarded and possibly end up in a landfill.

adara260 and MissMittens like this.
  3. Swing Girl

Swing Girl New in Town

I like fur as long as the animal's head isn't attached to it. The '30s winter fur coats are so pretty; I'd love to have one.

4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

My wife born and raised in Northern Alberta where having a fur coat was almost a necessity back in the day before technical fabric owned two beautiful fur coats but here on the Left Coast one no longer wears fur in public for fear of having paint thrown at you. She has a Tshirt from her childhood that stated on the front ..."I survived 30 days of minus 40"

As a kid in the early 1950's my aunt would visit with her fox or mink stoll with the heads still attached.....I thought that was the coolest thing ever. All the guest coats would be piled in the master bedroom and I would sneak in just to visit the dead animal attached to her coat.

Swing Girl likes this.
  5. adara260

adara260 New in Town

I do own one vintage coat with a fur collar. I don’t know what type of fur it is, I do believe it is real.

The coat looks 60s to me so I imagine it had a matching muff or hat.

I haven’t worn it once, but I just had to have it in the moment because it was “a status symbol” to have one back then. Use to joke with hubs about when he was going to get me a fur, LOL.

I wouldn’t buy a new fur coat but would buy a vintage one. I don’t know if I’d wear it though.

Swing Girl likes this.