Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you get a perfect side part?

monicacaroline

New in Town
Rat tail comb,damp hair and product. My hair is VERY straight, I've never had much trouble parting. Shine serum or hairspray is what I use to keep mine in place.

Anwen

New in Town
Wow! I read this thread yesterday and went out to buy a metal-ended rat tail comb, I can't believe it has made such a difference! I've always been able to get a pretty straight parting, but with the metal-tailed comb it's SO much 'sharper' looking! Particularly helpful as I have (dyed) black hair and very fair skin/scalp! I can't stop using exclamation marks! ;)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Ooh, my hair does this on its own right now... The little lift at the front, and even a tiny bit over on the other side of the part too. Does that mean my dumb hair actually does something good?? Hallelujah!!

I just checked today, my bangs if combed straight down are the length now to just to the top of my upper lip. I do a very deep right side part. I have a widow's peak, maybe that also helps. Just use a plastic long tailed comb.

Here is a mostly recent pic of my grown out perm left to its own devices with just gel and scrunching. I think this pic is early August.
372163302.jpg

I just started using a little oil in the lower part of my hair, it pumps up the larger bottom soft curls. To to take the frizz of the upper curls near my ears (was done with too small a perm rods- that stylist is NO MORE) I still need to use a little gel and scrunch.

My perm from Feb. is now very very grown out, meaning the crown is straight now. Its good for doing 30s and 40s wet sets by my stylist.

For years when I had longer hair I had horrible flyaways, my hair stuck to my head! So I wore it short. I'm enjoying it longer now, for doing vintage styling.

Audrey Horne said:
I always do a deep side part and it never comes out looking quite right. I guess I just need more volume in the front, but mine never come out looking like this:

lauren-bacall04.jpg

How does she get volume on the side with the hair while still making it go straight across? Sorry it's hard to explain what I mean.

cecil

A-List Customer
Audrey Horne said:
I think I know what you mean because I have the same question. I always do a deep side part and it never comes out looking quite right. I guess I just need more volume in the front, but mine never come out looking like this:

lauren-bacall04.jpg

How does she get volume on the side with the hair while still making it go straight across? Sorry it's hard to explain what I mean.

Ah-ha, but it isn't going straight across! Look closely, It's angled slightly towards the crown. This is how I part my hair.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Anwen said:
Wow! I read this thread yesterday and went out to buy a metal-ended rat tail comb, I can't believe it has made such a difference! I've always been able to get a pretty straight parting, but with the metal-tailed comb it's SO much 'sharper' looking! Particularly helpful as I have (dyed) black hair and very fair skin/scalp! I can't stop using exclamation marks! ;)

it does make such a difference!

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
cecil said:
Ah-ha, but it isn't going straight across! Look closely, It's angled slightly towards the crown. This is how I part my hair.
I see what you mean. It was hard to explain what I originally meant though. I part my hair at an angle too, I meant the side with more hair, how it has volume but not an arch to it. There's a couple of inches of volume but the hair on top lies flat. Does that make sense?

cecil

A-List Customer
Audrey Horne said:
I see what you mean. It was hard to explain what I originally meant though. I part my hair at an angle too, I meant the side with more hair, how it has volume but not an arch to it. There's a couple of inches of volume but the hair on top lies flat. Does that make sense?

Ohhhh right. I'd say that'd be down to the setting pattern as much as the part! Normally I'm a pincurl girl but when I have to go out but don't have time i block a row of curls with a curling iron going back off my face, they come out a bit like that picture.

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
cecil said:
Ohhhh right. I'd say that'd be down to the setting pattern as much as the part! Normally I'm a pincurl girl but when I have to go out but don't have time i block a row of curls with a curling iron going back off my face, they come out a bit like that picture.
Thanks, I'll have to try that next time! Sorry I'm so awful at explaining things sometimes :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart