Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how do you keep this up in hot weather?

CDSherwood

New in Town
It's been so hot and humid here. I mean, it always has, but this is the first summer I've really tried to keep up a beauty routine. Last year I could have given flip all about hair and makeup but ever since my friend's wedding in January, I've finally become interested in it. Lately, I haven't been putting anything on my face. I'll do my eyes with waterproof eyeliner and mascara, use a little lip gloss, and that's about it. Anything else slides off. I still set my hair, but I've been wearing it in a wavy ponytail and taking the bangs and doing a barrel curl on one side to keep them out of my face. But really, what do you all do in this weather, and how did they handle this back in the day when there wasn't a/c everywhere?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I don't know about back in the day, but I've never had a problem with makeup running in hot weather -- and I used to work in a glass making factory for 7 years! Makeup always stayed fine, even around fire-blowing machines in 100+ degree heat.

I never starting "doing" my hair until last August and it falls and frizzes a bit on the ends in humidity, but nothing serious. If I wet set it it holds better. Heat sets will never fail to frizz and fall out.

To keep beat the heat you must put in the effort. Shortcuts just succumb to the yuckiness of the weather. At least for me.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I tend to scale WAY back in the summer. The DC area went through a major heatwave, as well as storms that produced multiple day power outages. On those days, I either skipped it all together or wore a simple cotton back wrap dress (a handmade version of the famous Swirl dress) and just mascara and lipstick. As for hair, mine is quite resistant to curl. Even perms tend to fall out quickly. The only vintage style that works for my hair in the humidity is a waved bang with a snood or Rosie style bandanna holding the rest. I have pictures of my Grandma when my grandfather was stationed in the Dominican Republic and she frequently wore a housecoat, flatish hair and no make-up. A lot of women had perms back then, as it helps hold a set, and her hair looks like a frizzed out perm, but clearly not set.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I suspect that ladies used to bathe twice a day in hot weather and re-do their makeup etc before their husbands came home.

As for me, I change the products I use, going for a little powder foundation instead of my usual cream formulation, and I have a packet of blotting papers in my handbag. I nearly always have my hair up anyway, so that doesn't change. And I carry a little folding fan in my bag, to deal with the un-airconditioned tubes.

MirandaFern

Familiar Face
CDSherwood said:
Lately, I haven't been putting anything on my face. I'll do my eyes with waterproof eyeliner and mascara, use a little lip gloss, and that's about it. Anything else slides off.

Primer and Powder are a Houston Girl's best friends.

As for what you did as a vintage Houstonian you went to the cinema :). Movie theaters were among the first buildings to commercial ac in Houston and it became a major draw. The Houston tunnels originally served to connect two of the downtown theaters, owned by Will Horwitz.
http://www.cinemahouston.info/index.htm

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
What makeup are you gals wearing that it slides off your face? I've worn cheap Revlon and Covergirl in 120 degree factory heat with no problems.

I now wear MAC makeup and jog after work (can't be bothered to take it off in the work restroom!) and it stays put.

Is it your skin type that makes it melt?

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Amy Jeanne said:
What makeup are you gals wearing that it slides off your face? I've worn cheap Revlon and Covergirl in 120 degree factory heat with no problems.

I now wear MAC makeup and jog after work (can't be bothered to take it off in the work restroom!) and it stays put.

Amy I have tried jogging in make up and I just drip it right onto my shirt. You must not sweat.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Amy Jeanne said:

I wear Besame. For me, it's not so much the foundation that melts, but my eyeliner, mascara and eyebrow pencil that all melt.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
It's a no brainer for me - I live in Britain where it never gets hot enough to loose the thermal underwear, let alone make your make-up slide off!

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a no brainer for me - I live in Britain where it never gets hot enough to loose the thermal underwear, let alone make your make-up slide off!
lol :rofl:
No brainer here, as well: I have acne prone skin, so it's (literally!) LESS IS MORE here.. all the time. [huh]
As for sporting red lips on a hot day.. I just go for dry pencil + dry matte lipstick.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I live in south eastern Virginia and it gets horribly hot and humid here, my make up does run unless I am sweating too much. I find wearing my hair up helps a lot so I usually wear it Rosie the riveter style. Also I avoid outside.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I'm in north Texas, and our summers are "hell on earth" type hot. Just about the only makeup I can stand during the summer is mineral makeup. I use Bare Escentuals, some ELF (blushes & eyeshadows), and MAC mineralize skinfinish powder. I find it has very good lasting power, I've spent an entire day outdoors in the heat & gone swimming and still had my makeup hold up pretty well.

Also I find that a non-silicone primer helps keep things matte & in place. My favorite is L'Oreal Magic Perfecting Base, but I also like the L'Oreal BB cream in the white tube with the purple lid. It is like a cross between a primer and a light foundation, and has a very matte finish. Silicone primers feel too greasy for me during the summer.

Silica powder also helps to set makeup and seems to keep it matte longer. I have Make Up For Ever HD powder and ELF HD powder, and they both work really well.

For lips I like a tinted balm, which feels lighter to me. ELF has a really nice $2 chubby lip pencil in the "Essentials" line that is really more of a minty tinted balm, and it comes in a pretty, natural red called "Movie Star."

Last edited:

Fräulein U.

Familiar Face
I prefer minimal long lasting makeup combined with permanent makeup all year round. I.e. concealer where necessary, powder, Maybelline Superstay 24hours lipstick, permanent eyeliner, tinted lashes. I can go for a swim that way, all I need to do when I come out of the pool is gently blot my face and reapply powder. Heat doesn't kill that either.

Regarding hair: What's already been said, updos and snoods. For updos I really like what's basically a neat looking pincurl set (couple of small victory rolls plus a few large decorative pincurls or a roll in the back). That way I can take it down at night when it gets cooler for great curls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112