Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you keep your ears warm?

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
It rarely gets cold enough here in the South to need any kind of ear protection.

But when the mercury takes a dive and the wind is blowing, I use a cashmere scarf to cover my ears and face.

Here's how it's done: Center the scarf hanging around your neck so that the ends are equal draping down your chest. Tilt your head down. Pull up the center part of the scarf and place it flat against the back of your head just above the 'bump" there. Put the hat on, back of the sweatband first, then pull it down and forward, so that the scarf is trapped securely. Wrap the ends across one another to cover your face in front, leaving a slit for your eyes, of course, and tuck the tails under your coat lapels. If the scarf is long enough, you can wrap the ends around the back of your neck where they will cross, and then pull them on around the sides of your neck to tuck between your coat lapels.

Since I'm between a 7 and 7 1/8, I always get the 7 1/8 and put a couple of felt pads under the sweat to tighten the hat up. Removing the pads before doing the above makes the added thickness of the scarf return the hat to a perfect, snug fit--keeping the hat on my head in a stiff wind. Wearing your regular size hat with the scarf tucked as above would make the hat a tad tight but able to withstand an even stronger wind

When I lived in really cold climes, I found that the warmest, most comfortable headgear was the down hood that came with my North Face Parka, along with a silk Balaclava for full face protection on truly frigid days and nights.

Of course, such an expeditionary rig is not acceptable for business attire, in which case I wore a black mouton wool Ambassador that has a quilted lining and turn-down wool ear flaps. Some are made so that the mouton band can be rolled down to cover the ears, which would be really nice and toasty. Miller makes a beautiful Ambassador in pure Persian lambswool that is the paragon of cold-weather hat elegance. It's $500 price tag should warm you up before you even try it on.

This style is also called an Envoy, Diplomat or Russian, as Stalin famously wore one at one of the The Big Three conferences. Actually, FDR wore one there, too. Churchill? Not on your life!

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
AlterEgo said:
But when the mercury takes a dive and the wind is blowing, I use a cashmere scarf to cover my ears and face.

Here's how it's done: Center the scarf hanging around your neck so that the ends are equal draping down your chest. Tilt your head down. Pull up the center part of the scarf and place it flat against the back of your head just above the 'bump" there. Put the hat on, back of the sweatband first, then pull it down and forward, so that the scarf is trapped securely. Wrap the ends across one another to cover your face in front, leaving a slit for your eyes, of course, and tuck the tails under your coat lapels. If the scarf is long enough, you can wrap the ends around the back of your neck where they will cross, and then pull them on around the sides of your neck to tuck between your coat lapels.

Since I'm between a 7 and 7 1/8, I always get the 7 1/8 and put a couple of felt pads under the sweat to tighten the hat up. Removing the pads before doing the above makes the added thickness of the scarf return the hat to a perfect, snug fit--keeping the hat on my head in a stiff wind. Wearing your regular size hat with the scarf tucked as above would make the hat a tad tight but able to withstand an even stronger wind

I use the same method you describe, AlterEgo. It works well for me in the bitter cold northwoods. I like to fling the long end over my left shoulder, to add a bit of flair.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters