Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you like your hats to fit?

wldthistle

New in Town
This has probably been addressed before, but I have no idea how to search for it. I think the word "fit" is too short for the search engine. Anyway, how do you like your hats to fit?

Just getting into this, I'm not exactly sure how big my head is. Physically, that is! I measured it with a nylon tape - right around 23½ inches (÷ π ≈ 7½), or 60 cm. I have two hats that are probably size "large", one that's a 58 (a Wigens cap, which is a bit snug, but was a good deal and fit me better than most of the hats I find at the stores), and now my size 60 Franz Bittner Alpenhat. While the 58 and one of the "large" hats are a bit snug, and another one of the larges just about right, and the 60 seems a bit loose, though I'd be reluctant to say it doesn't fit. It just fits differently. It does have me wondering though if I'm really a 59, or if this hat is just large for a 60. It's definitely looser than I had my tape when I measured.

So how do you guys approach sizing? I suppose the best thing would be to try a hat on before you buy it, or even have a hat custom made. But if you're buying one online, do you find that a certain size generally fits you just right? Or do you accept that you'll end up with some "windy day" hats, and some "comfort" hats?

-Greg

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
I have found that when dealing with hats, you have to try them on.
Especially if we're talking about vintage.
Most of my hats are 7 5/8 but I do have a few vintage ones that are 7 1/4.
And they fit great.

That said, I like to wear my hats a little closer to my ears than most.
I have heard that a good rule is to leave a couple fingers width between the ear and brim. I like mine a little closer than that.
My dos centavos.

carldelo

One Too Many
wldthistle said:
I measured it with a nylon tape - right around 23½ inches (÷ π ≈ 7½), or 60 cm.

-Greg

As a reality check, you might check your fabric tape with a steel tape measure or yardstick. I had one old vinyl flexible tape that was a full 1/2" off, so I replaced it with a better one that measures true. Having said that, I think trying it on is best. Second best is to use an online seller with a generous exchange policy (some offer free shipping when exchanging sizes).

wldthistle

New in Town
carldelo said:
As a reality check, you might check your fabric tape with a steel tape measure or yardstick. I had one old vinyl flexible tape that was a full 1/2" off, so I replaced it with a better one that measures true. Having said that, I think trying it on is best. Second best is to use an online seller with a generous exchange policy (some offer free shipping when exchanging sizes).

Sounded like a great idea. I was hoping that was my problem, and that I really was a 59. Would have explained things. Alas, my tape's spot on. Thanks for the tip though!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I wear a 7 3/4 in some hats and a 7 7/8 in others. I've learned to like a "close" fit and a slightly loose fit. I think I like a fit that won't leave a mark on my forehead when I take my hat off...

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Interesting thread. I like my hats to come down to about a half inch from my ears. I hate when it feels like its sitting on top of my head. I also have a really egg shaped head so I need a high crown otherwise I can feel my head hitting the roof of the hat which I find really annoying. I have a few hats that fit me like a glove, when I put one on I just know its right or not.

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
I prefer a slightly loose fit to keep my head from itching. Not loose enough to fall off, but not tight either.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
lol
Stoney said:
KY

Blasphemy!

Those marks are a symbol of the Fedora God's rites of passage.

Tighten that hat, you Heathen.

lol lol lol

For my next hat I'll order a 7 1/2 and get that deep red "rite of passage" on my noggin! lol

plain old dave

A-List Customer
I like a firm fit, for lack of a better adjective.... Some amount of band mark on my forehead. That's probably due to when I was on active duty in the USN. The wind howls down the pier, especially when you are going between 2 CVNs. If your hat fits properly, you'll never need a wind trolley.

LindyTap

Familiar Face
When I first started wearing hats I was told that a hat should be "loose enough to not give you a headache if you wear it for a while, but tight enough that it's not going to blow off too easily." Also, the red mark on the forehead might be caused by an off-shaped head. (sorry) I have a long oval head, but modern hats aren't usually made for that fit, so when I first get them, I have extra space on the sides and they're too tight in the front and back, leaving that red mark on my forehead. But after I wear it a while, it forms to my head and the red mark disappears.

Feraud

Bartender
Is fitting "just right" vague enough? lol

Some fedoras in my size fit loose and others tight. I suggest trying on a hat if you can. Mail order hats should match your headsize as close as possible when measured with tape.
A custom job from Art will include measurement with a Medieval torture device that provides the perfect fit for your head size and shape.

The more hats you wear the better you will get to know what fit you like.

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
I like them to fit my head.

Actually, fit is a complicated question. I think most of my early hats were too large. As I got more accustomed to wearing a hat, I became more educated as to how it should fit.

I think that a hat should sit nicely without needing to be snugged. When rested upon your head, it should have a finger's width or more between the top of your ears. Maybe more on one side if you tilt your hat.

A hat should be able to be snugged by pulling down on the brim, making it fit more firmly and resist being blown off.

As for the front, there are three main postures:
1) Pulled down. This is when I snug the hat. Then it sits about a half inch over my eyebrows.
2) Normal. This is the standard way I wear a hat. It allows about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of clearance above my eyebrows. This exposes more of the face and is a more friendly, open expression.
3) Pushed back. This is when you slide the hat toward the rear. This is a pensive or casual look. Here, the sweat band will sit very high on your forehead, maybe just below your hairline.

In all cases it should fit comfortably. Even when snugged, it should not bind or pinch. In the normal position, it should not crush the hair or produce a bad case of "hat head". Your haircut may do a lot to determine the right size based on this consideration.

I've seen some people pull their hats down to the top of their ears. To my eye, this looks as bad as having your pant hems drag on the floor. Likewise, I've seen people wear their hats very high with an inch or more of clearance above the ears. To me this looks like having pants that are too short and don't touch your shoes.

Hat's are an important aspect of your personal style. So only you can determine what is right for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails