Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you "mark" your hat as yours?

Mystic

Practically Family
I haven't put my name or initials on any of my hats.

But, PLEASE don't put your name on the liner of a nice vintage hat with a Sharpie or with indelible ink ball point pen. :nono: shakeshead

fedoracentric

Banned
I have never been anywhere where my hat would look the same as anyone else's! I have been in places where a few others have fedoras, but mine are of such obviously better quality and vintage that there was never a second's fear of a mix up!! Sooooo, I've seen no reason to mark them in any special way.

diabolicaldog

New in Town
I have never felt the need to mark any hat I have owned. If I really had to I would use the tattoo gun I use for puppies. The letters and numbers are about 8mm high and leave a neat mark in the sweat.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I wrote my cellphone number and my name in the inside of the sweatband on some hats. Since no one wears my kind of hat around here...

Where and how do you do it?

many of mine are already done.

clearnutria7.jpg

Akin to carving your initials into a tree.

yep, that too!

3xstetson050811_6.jpg

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It may not be a bad idea to mark your lid somehow,especially if you've invested a good chunk of $$$ into your collection. Maybe on the underside of the sweat. In this state, if someone steals something from you, you still have to prove that it belongs to you. Otherwise, it's your word against the thief who stole from you. That happened to a friend of mine when a neighbor stole some tools from him. Even with his tools sitting on his neighbor's back porch the police couldn't do anything because he didn't have anyway of identifying them to prove that they belonged to him. The thieving neighbor got away with it.

Last edited:

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
I mark my new hats on the sweatband along the back part of the hat with a durable fabric paint called 'TULIP soft'. It's marked with my initials and the year I bought the hat. This paint sticks great to both fabric and leather sweatbands and comes in many colors- I usually use metallic gold.

-I only do this with brand new hats as I prefer to keep my vintage/antique hats unaltered and original.

Last edited:

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
Here's how it looks: The sweatband already had the gold stripe which is why I chose the gold paint.
20141104_191408_4_bestshot.jpg

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I keep a few business cards in the hat band - partly to have them handy, partly for fit and partly for identification. I aso have photos on my phone of my hats on my head.

Fed

Epemethius

New in Town
I mark my hats like my dogs would. People seem to leave them alone.
The card inside the band sounds like a better idea.

I guess it could be alarmed with a birthday card button tucked into the sweatband, the kind that plays an '80s tune. It is difficult to walk out unnoticed when the hat is playing "Hooked on a Feeling"

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot